24%
Ready To Launch
29%

Total votes: 34

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Vote for September's Together Retro!

Post by noiseredux »

Hello, it's time to vote for next month's TR! You can vote for 2 options, but no switching. Poll will run for one week which should give ample time to secure a game before September. And here we go!

"Welcome To Ivalice"

Ivalice (イヴァリース Ivarīsu) is a fictional universe setting primarily appearing in the Final Fantasy video game series. The world was co-created by Yasumi Matsuno and Hiroyuki Ito, and has since been expanded upon by several games as the Ivalice Alliance series. Ivalice is described as a complex world with a very long history, and the stories of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII all take place in it.

I thought it might be fun to explore this singular game universe. It's interesting to me that it overlaps games from Final Fantasy with non-FF games. Some may choose to play a true RPG like Vagrant Story or Final Fantasy XII, while others might prefer a strategy RPG like the FF Tactics titles or the Crystal Defenders spin-off.

Suggestions: Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Crystal Defenders

"Back To School"

September is upon us. Let us relive going back to school via retro games! This option is fairly loose in that we're focusing on games that take place at school. You could probably come up with tons of games that have a school in them, though it might be more interesting to really focus in on games that take place in schools as their primary setting.

Suggestions: Bully, River City Ransom, Rival Schools, Corpse Party , Obscure & Obscure Aftermath, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Harry Potter...

"In Defense Of LJN"

People love to trash LJN. Not me. I've long defended LJN. They have some flawed yet fascinating and sometimes truly awesome games. So why not spend a month exploring a pool of games together that most gamers tend to scoff at? Bonus points awarded to anyone who plays Nightmare On Elm Street, which to this day I still consider my #1 NES hidden gem.

Suggestions: Alien 3, Friday The 13th, Jaws, Major League Baseball, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Spider-Man & Venom in Maximum Carnage...

"Ready To Launch"

It's easy to look back at our favorite consoles and think of their rich and varied libraries. But we're not going to do that. Instead let's explore our favorite console's launch games. The task is simple: pick a console and play ONLY games that were available on day one (preferably, in your own region).

A full list can be referenced here:

https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/List_of_v ... unch_games

Suggestions: Super Mario Bros., Altered Beast, F-Zero, Battle Arena Toshinden, Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, Ridge Racer V, Luigi's Mansion, Halo, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland...
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Vote for September's Together Retro!

Post by pierrot »

These are some choice categories, noise. I think I’ll probably have to go with Ivalice, at least, because I have a date with Vagrant Story, but I’ll think on it a little.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I will never not choose a category that has Final Fantasy in it.

For my second choice, I went with 'Ready to Launch' as I have Luigi's Mansion and Dead or Alive 3 waiting to be played.

These are some very good choices!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

My votes are in. LJN FTW!!!!
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

I voted LJN cause I've always wanted to check those out. From what little I've played I liked Friday the 13th. Wouldn't mind an excuse to grab a copy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:I voted LJN cause I've always wanted to check those out. From what little I've played I liked Friday the 13th. Wouldn't mind an excuse to grab a copy.

Friday The 13th is a solid game - once you understand what the heck you're supposed to be doing. It doesn't explain itself well enough, but you wrap your head around it, it's a lot of fun. I have tons of love for that game.

That said, Nightmare On Elm Street is even better. You've got different 'dream masters' that you can switch into after unlocking them. So you start as just a kid, but you can be an athlete who throws a javelin and jumps way higher; a ninja with throwing stars and a jumpkick; a wizard who can hover. It's awesome. Also, each level has daytime and "nightmare" versions. Oh, and it's a rare NES game that supports 4-player co-op. I think the only NES game I ever played this way. And the icing on the cake: the music is phenomenal.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Voted LJN largely for the game pictured. I actually finished it as a kid and have been meaning to take a modern run at it.

I used to play Major League Baseball a lot as a kid, probably more than RBI even though I think the latter is more fun.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I voted for Back to School and LJN. If LJN wins, I'm thinking Alien 3 for the SNES. If Ivalice wins, I'll probably check out Vagrant Story. If Back to School wins...you guys should all go check out Kendo Rage, a story about trying to go to school.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm thrilled to see LJN getting so much support. I figured prfsnl would be the only one voting for it, haha. I also figured Ivalice would be the clear winner. Nice to see such a close race here.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm most interested in launch titles. There are some really interesting 2nd gen (Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision) launch games. Plus, the NES stuff. So good.