August 2019 Together Retro: Retro Sports Games

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: August 2019 Together Retro: Retro Sports Games

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Played some Indy 500 with my son this afternoon. He hated it.... :lol:

Your son is smart. This evening I played through all 14 modes. It's... an interesting game to say the least. I think it's best described as one of those titles that hasn't aged well. This would have been mind-blowing to play in the late 70s, at home, against a family member. But yeah, it's a clunker. And those driving controllers.............

I also played some Super Challenge Baseball (2600). It's alright, but is one of those oddball games that's two-players only. Shucks. I recall most (or all) of the Odyssey 2 sports games being like that.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

If you love Super Tecmo Bowl head over to https://tecmobowl.org/files/ and download a patch to play the 2019-2020 season with the current players.
Every year I download the new patch and play. They also have patches for other retro spots games like the SNES Ken Griffey JR games. I use the Retron5's patching capability to play these on a tv with the proper controller.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Played some Indy 500 with my son this afternoon. He hated it.... :lol:

Your son is smart. This evening I played through all 14 modes. It's... an interesting game to say the least. I think it's best described as one of those titles that hasn't aged well. This would have been mind-blowing to play in the late 70s, at home, against a family member. But yeah, it's a clunker. And those driving controllers.............

I also played some Super Challenge Baseball (2600). It's alright, but is one of those oddball games that's two-players only. Shucks. I recall most (or all) of the Odyssey 2 sports games being like that.

Yeah. Indy 500 is probably pretty fun with two people, but there are both racing games that are more fun with two people and Atari games that are more fun with two people. No real reason to play it today.

The Intellivision NFL football games continue to impress me. If you have a way to play them - one of your plug ‘n plays or one of the Intellivision collections - you should. They are, IMO, way better than any other sports games released that generation (and, basically, better than any football games released on any console until Tecmo Super Bowl).
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Well, I've officially WON THE SEGA BOWL in Joe Montana Football!
Not gonna lie, it's a little anticlimactic, you get a little screen showing the team celebrating and then it's back to the Sega logo and title screen. But the game promised football with Joe Montana and it delivers that; I'm sure it's exceedingly bare-bones by modern standards, but it's all I wanted. I suppose I *could* challenge myself further by picking other teams and playing longer games, maybe trying 2-player mode, but I'm considering myself done with this game. It was fun though and I'm glad I actually learned how football works!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

SpaceBooger wrote:If you love Super Tecmo Bowl head over to https://tecmobowl.org/files/ and download a patch to play the 2019-2020 season with the current players.
Every year I download the new patch and play. They also have patches for other retro spots games like the SNES Ken Griffey JR games. I use the Retron5's patching capability to play these on a tv with the proper controller.

I have done that in the past. I led the Broncos to victory back when they had Peyton Manning. :) It also helped that they had that beast of a defense.

I think I might check out this year's update, just to see how they did some of the stats.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Played some Video Olympics this afternoon.

This one is hilarious to me. It's a sports game simply because Atari "decided" it was a sports game. It's actually 50 variations of Pong!

Now, some of the modes add extra paddles and specific control quirks, so they kind of end up emulating real sports. But, let me tell ya, you really have to use your imagination. This is basketball:
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Haha, yeah someone actually asked me about Video Olympics recently and were disappointed when I told them it was Pong. In Atari's defense I'm pretty sure it's the first ever sports game on the console and they didn't know what they were doing.

The Sears release was re-titled and it's a lot more honest:

opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Pong basketball should be a real sport.

I've yet to play any retro sports but I'll get on it this weekend. However, I did play the biathlon mode on Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics on the DS. It's... just okay for a mini game. I had more fun playing the biathlon on a different Winter Olympics game. I think it's called like Lilyhammer 94(?) for the European Megadrive.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Nemoide wrote:Well, I've officially WON THE SEGA BOWL in Joe Montana Football!
Not gonna lie, it's a little anticlimactic, you get a little screen showing the team celebrating and then it's back to the Sega logo and title screen. But the game promised football with Joe Montana and it delivers that; I'm sure it's exceedingly bare-bones by modern standards, but it's all I wanted. I suppose I *could* challenge myself further by picking other teams and playing longer games, maybe trying 2-player mode, but I'm considering myself done with this game. It was fun though and I'm glad I actually learned how football works!

Congratulations! Football video games were how I learned the sport as well. Watching it as a small child just left me confused but the Madden games, and the giant tome instruction manuals they used to come with, let me actually figure out what was going on.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Instead of just sticking to bowling games, I figured I'd also check out a different sports genre for the SNES that hasn't been getting much love this month. Yeah, I'm talking about:

Riddick Bowe Boxing

Before we go further, you may have an opinion on Riddick Bowe. While his boxing record is fantastic, his personal life is a mixed bag. Here is a guy who used his personal fortune to ship medicines to Somalia. Here is also a guy convicted of kidnapping and stabbing his estranged wife and then later assaulting a different wife. While these incidents occurred well after the release of this game, it may taint your opinion of wanting to try out a game with his name on it. That's ok, because this game was also released in Spanish as Chavez, with Riddick Bowe replaced by Julio César Chávez. They're the same games, but in different languages and with a different starring athlete as the big champion to take on.

How does it work? Well, you start by either picking a fighter or creating one. Fighters have three key stats: power, speed, and stamina. This affects how hard they hit, how fast they hit, and how many hits they can take. You then must choose your opponent from the top 25 ranked fighters to go up against. Between matches, you exercise to build up your stats, and since you're gonna start off fairly weak, it may be better to pick weaker opponents to build yourself up until you take on either Bowe or Chavez for the championship title.

Fighting consists of you going head to head in the ring against your opponent. However, this is not a Super Punch-Out clone. Instead, you're presented a side view. The four face buttons of the SNES controller are mapped to left and right jabs and left and right hooks. L and R are used for maneuvering around the ring and blocking when pressed together. There is an element of auto blocking too, but it requires you to be on the right plane and is usually only reliable against one punch, not combinations. And yes, you'll want to figure out some combinations. Why? Because the fight takes place on two planes: the head and the body. Normally, you protect your head, but you're open to a shot to the gut. You can drop down to protect the body, but you expose your head. Adding to this, your target is also based on the plane you occupy, so you have to be lower to go for the gut and higher to go for the head.

I've gotten pretty fond of shooting in towards my opponent, right hooking the body, and then throwing a left jab to their face when they drop to protect their ribs. Get into a good rhythm, and you can do a lot of damage to an opponent and drive them back into the corner, though it's not totally reliable to have only one trick up your sleeve; jabs have a longer range than hooks, so it's not always a bad idea to step back and toss in a quick straight while avoiding your opponent's own hooking fists. Pummel the body, the head, or the opponent enough, and they can drop to the mat, though you'll have to wait and see if they get up. Three downs in a round, and it's a TKO. Also, the more punishment you take, the bigger a chunk of your life bar does not steadily regenerate, so you can simply wear down an opponent to the point they don't have the health to be effective.

While this is all hunky dory, there is also another interesting mechanic: aging and retirement. Your fighter will age as you fight more matches, meaning after a point your stats will start to decrease. After 30 matches, your hair will turn grey, showing you've been around the circuit a while. After 40 matches, you retire, regardless of your championship status. Lose 2 matches in a row and you also retire. This works for your opponents too though, so you can actually force Bowe or Chavez into retirement by beating them in the ring. When this happens, they are permanently gone from the game unless you reset the cartridge data from the options menu. It's a cool idea for a mechanic that surprised me to learn.

Look, if you want your boxing games to feel more like boxing and less like a rhythm game, check either Riddick Bowe Boxing or Chavez out. They're fun takes on the sport.