31%
"That's one Doomed Space Marine" 90's First Person Shooters
22%

Total votes: 32

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: August 2019 Together Retro Poll

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If sports wins, I’ll probably play the 2X version on the Xbox. Is that widely considered the definitive version of the game? What’s the best way to play the original THPS? On DC? Is the PS1 version acceptable?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If sports wins, I’ll probably play the 2X version on the Xbox. Is that widely considered the definitive version of the game? What’s the best way to play the original THPS? On DC? Is the PS1 version acceptable?

I *believe* 2X has levels from 1 & 2 with the mechanics from 2.

2 is definitely better on DC than PS1.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If sports wins, I’ll probably play the 2X version on the Xbox. Is that widely considered the definitive version of the game? What’s the best way to play the original THPS? On DC? Is the PS1 version acceptable?

There are two correct ways to play THPS1, depending on what you value. If you are trying to get all the collectables and all the gold medals, play N64 to not have load times, as you will be restarting some levels a ton. If you need a fully intact soundtrack, then play one of the disc versions. The N64 soundtrack is cut down.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’ve persuaded myself to get the PS1 version. It is literally the original game in the series, developed entirely by Neversoft.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

My first exposure to the series was THPS2 on DC. But the DC was my roommates, and I ended up then buying the first one on PS1, since I had a PS2 at the time for the DVD player. Then the third on Gamecube the day it released. Good times.

We're doing all this talk, but the poll is still tied. :\
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

It’s OK. I’m going to play all these games eventually; so, it’s still a valuable conversation.

If simulations wins, I’m going to play M.U.L.E.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It’s OK. I’m going to play all these games eventually; so, it’s still a valuable conversation.

If simulations wins, I’m going to play M.U.L.E.

If sim wins, probably Sim City 2000 for me.

As it happens, my two votes are Sim and Sports. But I don't want to pull out of either, as I don't want to be the deciding vote. I'm happy with either. (Or really ANY of these choices).
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

SimCity 2000 is probably my nostalgic favorite even though 3000 is kind of 2000 but better in a lot of ways and SimCity 4 is a really good evolution for the series.

The first two Roller Coaster Tycoon games are probably somewhere in my top ten games of all time. It's a desert island game for me as I could play either of them forever. They've been combined into a single game with the release of Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic but I prefer to play the using Open RTC2 to keep the original interface.

I also haven't finished all the scenarios in Parkitect which is an incredible spiritual successor so I'll probably play that mostly.

Looks like Sports has pulled ahead and 90's FPS is catching up! I forgot to mention the poll is running for 8 days like the previous poll so check back Tuesday night for the winner.
Ack

Post by Ack »

GENTLEMEN

Are you men, or are you maggots? Do you not hear the call to battle, long for the smell of gunpowder, and feel the lust for blood deep in your chest? The answer is 1990s First Person Shooters! Splatter the walls with your enemies and wade knee-deep through their corpses. Their death nourishes you. Crave glory through righteous violence!

Sportsball? Sims? Shareware? FUCK THAT. Kill everything that moves. Rip and tear their guts. Revel in bloodshed! Unleash the plague of bullets into your enemies' flesh and laugh as you become the god king of mindless slaughter.

The choice is clear: FPS, bitch, and skullfuck the enemy!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

And that's the ball game! The retro-sports underdogs finally take the Together Retro title. See you next month, sports fans.