June Together Retro 2019 - Now You're Talking My Language

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: June Together Retro 2019 - Now You're Talking My Languag

Post by Nemoide »

pierrot wrote:Wait, was it actually only three acts?

It's NINE with an Epilogue, but the first one *feels* the longest and some of them are REALLY short. I think I cleared the game in about 12-13 hours; based on your time spent in Act 1, you might be looking at closer to 15-16 hours total.

What scene was the bomb dropped in? I'm also curious who Jonathan called a "fuckface," if it's not potentially spoilery for where I'm at.

I want to say it was in-between shootings during a precursor to the "bomb" puzzle. The fuckface is THE BIG BAD GUY who you've probably figured out is THE BIG BAD GUY but is potentially spoillery!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Nemoide wrote:It's NINE with an Epilogue, but the first one *feels* the longest and some of them are REALLY short. I think I cleared the game in about 12-13 hours; based on your time spent in Act 1, you might be looking at closer to 15-16 hours total.

Oh, hmm. Well, we'll see. I'm like 11 hours in, and still in Act 2.

Nemoide wrote:I want to say it was in-between shootings during a precursor to the "bomb" puzzle. The fuckface is THE BIG BAD GUY who you've probably figured out is THE BIG BAD GUY but is potentially spoillery!

Was that during the party at the Tokugawa Building?

So, the word that I figured would likely be translated as the r-word, is "manuke," and I was just talking with Meryl about Tokugawa when Jonathan describes the Pharmaceutical Division Building as 'totally empty' by saying, "monuke no kara." They used the wrong character for "kara" though. (空, instead of, 殻.) I was thinking that it would just be hilarious if the translators then mistranslated it, thinking it was, like, 'manuke no sora'--which isn't a saying, or anything, it just sounds really funny. Seems like that wasn't the case, though. Oh well.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

No it's later on, I think in Act 3. It was a voiced line so what I remember that what he says in Japanese is something along the lines of "these people are acting like children." Of course, calling someone "childish" doesn't really have any edge to it, so I understand why they wouldn't go literal.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So I probably won't get round to playing these properly this month, but I uploaded a couple of fan translations to my new everdrive 64 and gave them a go. This is what I tried so far:

Last Legion - this is like Hudson's attempt at Virtual On, and it's pretty fun. Im surprised it never came out here as there doesn't seem to be a lot to translate.

Choro Q II - This is the sequel to Penny Racers. The racing seemed a bit uninteresting to me, but the mechanics of swapping parts with other racers after winning was cool.

Wonder Project J2 - Wow, this game is a real looker. There's a lot of stuff being translated here, the tutorial was very, very talky. It has a lot of charm so far though, and I'm looking forward to trying it properly. Unfortunately, I've still not got around to playing the first game on SNES.

Bomberman 64 - Not the one we got here, the OTHER one. This is a compilation of a new but classically styled Bomberman game, plus a SameGame mode and a Panic Bomber mode for good measure. The story mode has quite a bit of dialogue which has been translated.

Animal Forest - So, this one is as bit tenuous, as it's not really a fan translation - rather, fans imported the official Gamecube translation back to the N64. Still, it's somewhat surreal seeing a game I think of as a Gamecube release running on previous gen hardware, and also seeing what things were missing in this incarnation (no museum!).
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Well, I'm trapped in the police headquarters. Ed won't let me leave before getting more clues about what to do next, and no one will give me any new information. So, I'm stuck I guess. Maybe I'll consult a walkthrough, but it's just stupid, and I hate it. It's obvious that Tony left, and that I should be following him, but nooooo. Instead I get to interrogate the two kids, and two old men in the HQ. If it's another instance of me just needing to go back to a certain room a certain number of times, I will scream.

EDIT: Oh, god, I can't even find a walkthrough for this. I did stumble upon some astounding information about the game, though. Apparently there was a group of staff that were actually given the titles of 'Boob Jiggle Directors,' and they were all female staff members. That's really the sort of exceptional class I expect from Kojima, at this point.

Nemoide wrote:I also encountered a puzzle that I had to look up the solution for:
There's a puzzle where, in order to use a computer you have to match family names with crests. The solution is in the manual! I assume this was some sort of copy-protection.

Were the rest of the answers not in that sheet hanging on the wall of Houjou's home office? I had only memorized the family crests for Houjou, Tokugawa, Saitou, and Ishida, so when the code started with Asai, I just went to the manual, because I knew it had the list of them in there.

alienjesus wrote:Animal Forest.... Still, it's somewhat surreal seeing a game I think of as a Gamecube release running on previous gen hardware, and also seeing what things were missing in this incarnation (no museum!).

Whoa, that's crazy. That would take away a lot of incentive for me. Finishing the Museum was half of the reason I ever played the first three Animal Crossing games released in the west. The other half was getting perfect towns (which was kind of ruined in City Folk), and paying off the loans.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

pierrot wrote:Apparently there was a group of staff that were actually given the titles of 'Boob Jiggle Directors,' and they were all female staff members. That's really the sort of exceptional class I expect from Kojima, at this point.

Confirmed from the credits. Just outstanding. Bravo. I'm pretty sure I can even guess what his thought process was behind this: 'Well, if we (I) want realistic boob jigglage in this 2D adventure game, where it makes no sense to even include such a thing, it only makes sense to have a group of women animate it! I'm clearly the greatest idea-man ever. High five, me!' And then he actually, physically, high fived himself, because why wouldn't he?

So, I also finished Policenauts, and if it isn't clear from the tone, already, yeah, I hated it. This is Ed at the end of Act 7:
'Jonathan, you're a match for Karen's bone marrow transplant.'

This was me, at that very moment: "No fucking shit, Sherlock!"

I think the last time I was this unimpressed with everything a game was trying to sell me on, was with Anearth Story. It was probably the same level of constant eye rolling response. There's nothing of importance here. Everything in this game just-- does-- not-- matter. It doesn't add anything to the game to subject me to a bunch of musings about circadian rhythms being thrown off by the period of the moon's rotation. For one thing, it's obvious. For another, it's not even remotely relevant to anything that's actually happening in the plot. That's just Policenauts, up and down. It even kind of feels like Kojima just gave up after Act 2 (as he rightfully should have), but was still hellbent on wasting everyone's time. I hate this game, and it's a little sad, because I actually liked Snatcher. I had some similar issues with it, but it at least felt good to play, and had a decent story. Also it had Random Hajil.

As an aside, playing with the mouse kind of really sucked, particularly with regard to the shooting segments, and especially in the third part of the chase sequence. I don't know if it's any better with the controller, but I suspect it is somewhat, since after I don't even know how many attempts at trying to get past that chase sequence, the game suggested that I might use the lock-on feature by hitting the L or R button on the controller, and I nearly tore my hair out because it was clear that those assholes didn't even make an attempt at optimizing it for the mouse. It's clearly meant to be played with the lightgun, but oh well. That's water under the bridge at this point. I could potentially go back at some point when I can actually play with the lightgun, and just treat it like a lightgun game, in the shooting mode, but I feel like it would still be really lame, even as just a lightgun game.

I did at least like some of the music, but since it was Tappy (among others), and a couple tracks sounded a lot like some of the music in the original Suikoden, I was just reminded of games I actually like by it.

Nemoide wrote:Let me tell you: I the amount of times I died while attempting to diffuse the bomb is PRETTY EMBARRASSING. But I did it and that's what counts!

This is one of the most heinous things I've ever had the misfortune of encountering in a video game. The light sensor is obviously easy, and removing the screws was fine, whatever. That "irritating Stick" maze was just the most stupid idea imaginable. I died a little on the inside when Ed hit the side as he was about to finish it, because if I had actually needed to do that myself, with the mouse, I would have seriously lost my shit. The absolute worst thing about this shitstorm was the blue and red wire. I will never forgive Kojima for this crap. There is a special place in hell reserved for that son of a bitch.

Nemoide wrote:No it's later on, I think in Act 3. It was a voiced line so what I remember that what he says in Japanese is something along the lines of "these people are acting like children." Of course, calling someone "childish" doesn't really have any edge to it, so I understand why they wouldn't go literal.

If this was on the linear rail, then that was a pretty heinous choice of translation. I could see someone who wasn't paying much attention translating it as, 'All of these people seem crazy,' which would have been a little more literal. Jonathan at least was fairly cool, and collected, though, I thought. The better translation would have really been something like, 'Something's not right here.' That would have brought out more of the feeling in the line, than the literal translation would, and the feeling is really all that matters in translation. I always remember the information session I sat in on once for translation, and whoever was giving the talk was saying, 'Jokes don't translate into other languages, so my only goal in that case is to say something that elicits laughter.' It's sure a whole lot easier to just translate everything literally, and be done with it, though.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm glad you at least saw it to the end, even if it wasn't to your liking. I'm glad I don't have the Saturn mouse because now that you mention it, trying to imagine solving the bomb puzzle or going through the shooting sequences sounds hellish.

And yeah, that crest puzzle: even though you see crests on Hojo's wall, it's only a small number of them and not enough to solve the puzzle! IMO that's the worst puzzle in the game (although the bomb IS heinous). I guess this was a copy-protection puzzle from when the game was originally released on PC-98.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

pierrot wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Animal Forest.... Still, it's somewhat surreal seeing a game I think of as a Gamecube release running on previous gen hardware, and also seeing what things were missing in this incarnation (no museum!).

Whoa, that's crazy. That would take away a lot of incentive for me. Finishing the Museum was half of the reason I ever played the first three Animal Crossing games released in the west. The other half was getting perfect towns (which was kind of ruined in City Folk), and paying off the loans.

Yeahhh, I played through the N64 Animal Crossing a few years back and it really is a trip that the game looks and plays almost exactly the same. And things missing from the N64 version compared to the Gamecube one (especially the final one that made it outside Japan) range from immediately noticeable to easy to miss.

Super easy to notice things like one or two fewer columns of acres for your village, no Able Sisters, no dock (no GBA, no dock), no e-reader machine (of course), and like AJ said, no Museum. This actually was a real "ah ha!" moment for me, because you still can find fossils and send them away to get identified, but just can't get them in a museum or anything. THAT explains why the GC Animal Crossing uses the backwards seeming method of having you send them away and Blathers can't identify them, because Blathers was just an add-on to a pre-existing feature. Of course, it was still very silly not to just take out the mailing system and let Blathers identify stuff, but it made the way things were make a lot more sense.

One more easy to miss feature is that there are quite a few less house upgrades. You 'finish' the game a LOT faster because there are a lot fewer house upgrades and you can pay off those debts a lot faster as a result. Another interesting note is that the Famicom games you can find are different! Almost entirely different as well. Very little crossover with the library you can find in the American Gamecube game (although the later game definitely had a better library to find). Most curiously, you can find a piece of furniture that's a Famicom + Disk System that actually has no game to play on it. It's just a paperweight that does nothing but look cool :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

This weekend, I finished up BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets and BS The Legend of Zelda: Third Quest. Both are games that were only available in Japan via the Sattelaview “broadcast” gaming service, and both were the subject of extensive restoration and translation projects. You can read more about them at:

https://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/info.shtml

BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets is a remixed version of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The game is divided into four episodes, and in each one, you have one hour to explore a limited section of the map, explore two dungeons, and gather as much loot as possible. (In the fourth episode, you also have to defeat Ganon.) The overworld is generally the same as the overworld in A Link to the Past, but the dungeons are very different. Specifically, they are much shorter, but more challenging, and crammed full of loot. There are also various “real time” events that occur as you progress through each episode, and they include things like fairies spawning all over the map, a merchant appearing in the village, Zelda being attacked by monsters, etc. Finally, there is a running commentary as you play through the game providing you with hints and notice of the various “real time” events.

BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets is very fast-paced and tremendously fun. The frantic pacing, combined with the search for loot and multiple-item puzzles, reminded me a lot of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, but somehow more fun. Additionally, there are item rental shops, as in A Link Between Worlds, and it is clear that despite its status as a “lost” Legend of Zelda game, a lot of ideas from The Ancient Stone Tablets inspired A Link to the Past’s more official successors. Finally, the translation, along with the rest of the programming work necessary to make these available, is just spectacular. I really can’t recommend BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets highly enough, and I think fans of A Link to the Past, like me, will love it.

BS The Legend of Zelda: Third Quest is a 16-bit remake of the Legend of Zelda (NES) with both a substantially different overworld and substantially different dungeons. Originally, this game was also broadcast in four episodes with various real-time events. Unlike BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets, however, it was easily rendered “unwinnable” if you didn’t progress through the dungeons quickly enough or missed certain real-time events. The translation efforts resulted in multiple versions of the game, however, including a “winnable” version without a timer and with real-events triggered by dungeon completion. This is the version I played, and I also enjoyed it quite a bit. It isn’t a revelation like The Ancient Stone Tablets, but it’s still very enjoyable for fans of The Legend of Zelda.

There is actually one more map created for the Satellaview games, and I hope to get through BS The Legend of Zelda: Fourth Quest before the end of the month.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ernest Rutherford IQ post. Based and Zeldapilled.

I did indeed run into a "timer" issue when I played BS Zelda. Perhaps I just didn't try the best "version" of the game (I bought a repro cart so never messed with any ROMz).

I've been travelling this past week so I haven't played much of anything. I'd like to finish at least one more PCE game before the month is up. Valkyrie no Densetsu seems like a solid bet. Oh, and I did take Madou Monogatari (GG) out for a spin. Seems slower/longer than I anticipated. I'll put that one on hold.