Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: June Together Retro 2019 - Now You're Talking My Languag

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Didya know there are (apparently) six games that have been translated from English to Japanese?
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=transl ... ssearch=Go

I suspect that three of 'em just have the FDS text inserted into the North American ROM. Pretty interesting though. Snake's Revenge is especially intriguing.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:38 pm

:lol: @ Simon's Quest, Snake's Revenge, and Link's Adventure. I want so badly for those to be retranslations from English back into Japanese.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:49 pm

pierrot wrote:How did you get through Scenario 1 so quickly, Popo? I had the all three scenarios on my summer games challenge a number of years ago, and after something like an hour of story setup that I didn't really care about, before the first bit of combat, then another hour or so of story setup, I just didn't have enough ambition left to see it through. The battles felt a bit janky, too. That couldn't have helped my motivation. Interesting note about the improvements between chapters. I've booted the other two scenarios up in the past, for testing purposes, and dinked around a little bit in their intro sequences, but not enough to really notice any differences, I guess.

Scenario 1 took me about 35 hours; I've been playing it for the past week to prep for this month. I definitely enjoyed the game more the second time than the first; in the first I did a bit of flailing around and letting people fall behind, which is a problem that builds on itself. There's definitely several ideas that could have used some fleshing out prior to release and I don't think they get corrected in the rest of the trilogy, due to being design decisions that you wouldn't want to have play differently between the scenarios. So far it's all been aesthetic polish that I've noticed differences in. And the polish is more evident the further you get into Scenario 2, as the first couple battles of Scenario 2 are in the same environments as Scenario 1. When you start getting into new areas they start doing more with different looking buildings and things like having it go to night time and using fog.

In terms of battle jank, there's the standard Shining Force jank of the interleaved turns that you need to get used to and plan around to keep your slower members from irrevocably falling behind, but otherwise I guess the only other thing that might get you is the 3D terrain making it harder to visualize the grid. So you might make a wrong move because you were rushing and were a square off. I think if you are a fan of the battles in Shining Force 1 and 2 then this should scratch that itch.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Phantasy Star Gaiden is...Dragon Quest...IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!! :lol:

I am fine with this. My two, mostly indistinguishable characters are leveling up pretty quickly, due to the game’s high encounter rate. The battles go quickly when you just hold down a key set to rapid fire. The primary issue, so far, however, is that, until you reach a certain level, you really cannot damage enemies in other areas of the map...at all. Moreover, the point where you can damage them is well past the point where enemies in the previous section can damage you. Accordingly, you have to spend a lot of time griniding on really easy enemies before you can progress at all to another section of the game. (At least, that’s how it’s going so far. I’ve grinder a lot of levels, but I’m not that far yet.)
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:05 pm

I ripped/patched/burned Policenauts and started playing it! I'm only an hour and a half in but I'm already on the second disc (I hope I'm not missing anything).
I appreciate this game's aesthetic, which is rooted deeply in the 80s and 90s. The story revolves around an old Policenaut who had an accident resulting in him being in an ageless cold sleep for 25 years. So his wife remarried, everyone he knows is old, and the world has changed, but he still feels as young as he ever did.
Being in my 30s, alienated from a lot of the friends I had in my younger days, seeing that others my age have families and houses, while I'm still single... I feel like I can appreciate the metaphor the game is working with more than I would have if I played the game as a teenager.

The game plays fine with a controller but it can also be played with a mouse and a lightgun. I wish I had either of those things, because I think that seems super cool!

Jagosaurus wrote:
Nemoide wrote:I'm going to do this the hard/legit way by actually ripping my own discs and then patching them.

Kudos. Gangster on burning the patched disc. Running Pseudo Saturn or mod chip?

Pseudo Saturn! I love that I'm able to play burned discs on my unmodded Saturn. I don't plan on making a full library of burned games, but it's useful for things like this. I'm hoping we see more translation patches in the future!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Played some Aoi Blink (Blue Blink) on PC Engine. A HuCard with a fan translation.

We're not looking at another RPG here. This is a single-sitting platformer. I tapped out about halfway through (30-ish minutes) and I'll give it another run later this week.

The game's based on an anime I've never seen. You control a lead character, whose movements are shadowed by a couple of cohorts. It reminds me a bit of Falcom's Sorcerian and that old Mickey Mouse game. They all jump and attack in tandem, but only the lead character can be damaged. The life system is a bit odd. If you lose a life you're instantly resurrected by a donkey (I think this is "Blink") but you return with your health bar only about halfway filled. You can also use the donkey to heal at any time, though this also consumes a life.

The game is somewhat nonlinear. There's a world map and each stage has two exits. The world map is a bit confusing, as you have to find certain exits to access specific stages, but there aren't any visual clues on the map. Instead you get an unpleasant sound effect if you try to enter some place without hitting the requirement first. The last stage of each world houses a boss. The door to the boss room is locked, and a key must be found first in a previous stage. I don't care for this type of time-wasting exploration. This is one of those games where items are hidden in the "air" like Milon's Secret Castle, so you basically have to continually shoot all over the place.

There are NPCs, which is where the fan translation comes into play. Most just give generic hints. Totally playable in Japanese for those who don't understand the language.

The graphics and nice and crisp, and I really dig the soundtrack. There's one piece that sounds soooo similar to Esper Dream that I thought maybe Kinuyo Yamashita was the composer here as well. Nope, just a coincidence.

(And wow I have the toughest time pronouncing "aoi" correctly. I'm reminded of how my Japanese colleagues couldn't say "squirrel.")
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Update to last post, I suppose...

Blue Blink is done. A fair game, overall. Creative design, but nothing really stands out as being that "good." And there are a lot of annoying elements, such as hunting for keys. Feels like it's caught between 8 and 16-bit game design, which I think is true of a lot of PC Engine titles.

Fan translation is decent, and undoubtedly helpful to most, as some NPCs reveal key locations. There are no apostrophes in the translation, for some reason.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:37 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yes, indeed, the unhinged ranting boomer known as "Nightwolve" was involved in this translation, and just couldn't help himself. Similar sentiments are also expressed in the Read Me file.

Unhinged is putting it lightly. Dude was a real menace over at PCEFX and apparently went full off the deep end some time after I left.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 am

SFIII Scenario 2 continues to impress with how it iterated on the gameplay of the first. There have been more missions with interesting mechanics, such as one where the terrain was being blown up, one where there was a series of towers that went through a pattern of creating lightning barriers hitting friend and foe alike, and a mission where I was in a ship to ship duel and mostly focused on keeping the team alive while taking out enemy cannons with my own. There's also more variety in the indoor environments. This feels like the best kind of mid-late 90s PC expansion pack, that took a base game and just added a bunch of tweaks to polish it more and give a veteran some new experiences.

Looking ahead to the cast list of Scenario 3, that game seems to revel in having a very non-standard party. Both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 give you a similar set of unit classes, but Scenario 3 has a lot of one-off classes like a Unicorn and a Dragon. I expect that scenario uses that to keep things fresh, as now you need to learn how to effectively use all the new units.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Great posts, everyone. I’m really enjoying learning about new (to me) games.

I’m closing in on Phantasy Star Gaiden. It’s pretty much the grindiest DQ Cline ever. Thankfully(?), the encounter rate is through the roof; so, you never have to walk too far before you’re thrust into battle again. I’m going to grind out 8 more levels or so to get all of my characters to their respective level caps and them finish it off.
Return to Together Retro