May Together Retro: Bad to the Bone!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: May Together Retro: Bad to the Bone!

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Iirc, I think Double Dragon V actually IS based off of a Double Dragon cartoon of the time, which I think explains why the characters have that feeling :lol:
I have only ever heard bad things about it though :lol:

I'd say if anyone is thinking of importing a Famicom Mini and already has a NES Classic, just go full ham and get the JUMP Edition Famicom Mini. Not only is it covered in a tacky golden sheen, so it doesn't look like a normal tiny Famicom, it also has ONLY licensed games based on JUMP manga/anime (and the original Dragon Quest too, for whatever reason), so it's basically ALL terrible-to-decent quality stuff. How they had the gall to sell that for the same price as the normal Mini is beyond me :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I know Bubsy 3D is considered the worst game of the series, but I decided for this month I would go and play the original on the Genesis. I just ordered it off ebay for $3 and am looking forward to it arriving next week.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

SpaceBooger wrote:I know Bubsy 3D is considered the worst game of the series, but I decided for this month I would go and play the original on the Genesis. I just ordered it off ebay for $3 and am looking forward to it arriving next week.

Nice....and don’t worry, I’ve spent some time with that game. It’s certainly bad enough for TR.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I know Bubsy 3D is considered the worst game of the series, but I decided for this month I would go and play the original on the Genesis. I just ordered it off ebay for $3 and am looking forward to it arriving next week.

Nice....and don’t worry, I’ve spent some time with that game. It’s certainly bad enough for TR.

I absolutely agree :lol:
Bubsy 3D is a bit of a new level of bad, but original Bubsy is still pretty darn bad too Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

@prfsnl_gmr
I don't think you can "get" the pixie. I think just "seeing" it is the reward itself.

@PartridgeSenpai
I beat Atlantis no Nazo earlier in the year. It's tough, but doable. I highly recommend following the second route detailed in this walkthrough.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/57828 ... faqs/65347

So I remember reading about the worst kusoge JRPGs for the Super Famicom on some obscure website a year or two ago. My Japanese is pretty bad, so it took me some time to find the website again but here it is:
http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~hankotu/game.htm
Now, I actually beat Villgust last year and I can attest to the fact that it's pretty weak. Literally the most stripped-down town-dungeon-repeat RPG with no flair or intriguing elements whatsoever. Also, grindy as hell. I'm curious about the others. Ancient Magic actually looks kinda cool.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazing post, Partridge. I thought about importing a Famicom Mini, but now...Nope!

I spent some time this evening with Double Dragon (2600) and Firefly (2600). I’m not yet convinced either is bad. So far, Double Dragon is pretty much the most realistic beat em up ever in that: (1) you are terrible at fighting; (2) you get your ass kicked in a few seconds; and (3) it isn’t fun at all. That said, it’s an insanely ambitious 2600 game, and I’m going to give it another try. ).

When I was young my brother and I saved a bunch of money to buy a NES. We went to toys r us with our mom and when we were there we saw double dragon and kung fu. My brother and I, in our iditotic young minds, then reasoned that since these 2 games were on Atari, every NES game would be eventually so buying the nes was a waste of time and we instead spent our money on these 2 games.

Kung fu is actually pretty solid on the atari but double dragon was just abysmmal and even my 6 year old self, who absolutely loved ET on Atari, knew this game was a turd. To this day atari double dragon remains one of the worst games I have ever played and the worst financial decision of my life.

I could also say as someone that trains brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo, kickboxing, and mixed martial arts, that real life fighting is considerably more fun than atari double dragon
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

:lol:

I like it. Kung Fu on the Atari 2600 is a remarkably solid game. It’s not as “crisp” as the NES port, but it still plays well. Double Dragon, on the other hand...

My worst game purchase of all time was AD&D Heroes of the Lance for the NES. I read a few of the Dragonlance books as a kid, and I was really excited for that game. I saved up my money and bought a brand new copy. I unpacked it, read the instruction, popped it into my NES...got promptly lost in some sort of maze. My entire party of heroes was eventually killed by a dwarf kicking us in the shins while we flailed about helplessly, struggling to control our movements. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed p, and I probably should have tried to return the game since it was horribly, horribly broken.
Ack

Post by Ack »

For the record, I for one support more dominatrixes in games. Final bosses, lead characters...nothing wrong with ladies in leather.

But if you want more bizarre SNES fighting games, Prfsnl, track down Street Combat and the atrocious Pit-Fighter port.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:For the record, I for one support more dominatrixes in games. Final bosses, lead characters...nothing wrong with ladies in leather.

But if you want more bizarre SNES fighting games, Prfsnl, track down Street Combat and the atrocious Pit-Fighter port.

Oh, yes. I own both of them. I think Street Combat is actually, kind-of OK. As a redlined Ranma 1/2 game, it looks terrible, but it isn’t actually broken. Pit Fighter, on the other hand, was always terrible, and the SNES version is the worst version of a terrible game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I beat Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1) tonight. I’ll write more tomorrow, but if ever there’s a game in need of critical redemption, this is it. If it came out now as a tongue-in-cheek indie fighter, everyone would love it.

Also, I tried playing Hooters Road Trip, but apparently, that game is so bad my PS3 literally rejected it, crashing twice before I could get to the game. :lol: