May Together Retro: Bad to the Bone!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: May Together Retro: Bad to the Bone!

Post by Gunstar Green »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I did get Super Monkey Daibouken, though, :lol:

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I always liked watching the Telephone Shocking segments of GameCenter CX, where Ariyoshi was playing Ganso Saiyuki, and calling people who had played the game and sent in postcards to the show about it. "Telephone Shocking" is actually from Waratte Iitomo, but I just forgot what they called that segment in GameCenter CX, and they're kinda, sorta similar.

I hope you don't actually intend to play that game, prof.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Yeah, GameCenter CX is where I learned of that catastrophe.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Have any of yo7 played Hoshi wo Miru Hito? HG101 describes it as the “densetsu no kusoge,” which I find endlessly funny. (As far as I can tell, a full one third of Japanese vide9 game titles have to the word “densetsu” in them; another third have either “daibouken” or “gaiden” in the title (except Ninja Gaiden, which is called something else). :lol:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hoshi-wo-miru-hito/

I also ordered Paris Dakar Rally Special, which looks like the best racing game ever:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/paris- ... y-special/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have any of yo7 played Hoshi wo Miru Hito? HG101 describes it as the “densetsu no kusoge,” which I find endlessly funny. (As far as I can tell, a full one third of Japanese vide9 game titles have to the word “densetsu” in them; another third have either “daibouken” or “gaiden” in the title (except Ninja Gaiden, which is called something else). :lol:

Or just plain "bouken" (adventure, as opposed to "big" adventure).

I have played Hoshi wo Miru Hito via emulation, though I don't own a copy (yet?). It is indeed terrible. Probably the worst Dragon Quest style turn-based JRPG on the console. Just utterly broken. A shame, since the premise and setting are intriguing.

Hot-B... another legendary Japanese developer!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Just like a bad video game, I’m turning this one off a bit early. We had some good times; we had some bad times...but mostly we had bad times... :lol:

Special thanks to:

Partridge - Atlantis no Nazo on a Famicom Mini! It’s actually hard to imagine a more tortuous experience.

Nemoide - Fist of the North Star...and on a Famicom Mini too! A Week of Garfield, too. What were you thinking?!

Jag - We warned you about Bubsy. We warned you! But, did you listen?! (Well, in a way, I guess you did. You picked it for bad games month.)

Sload Soap - Hardcore C64 garbage redeemed, quite possibly, by an absolutely glorious A-Team review. (“It's hard to actually says it's a bad game because it's not a game. It's an Andy Kaufman joke written in Basic. It's an avant-garde Dali performance piece tossed aside for being too out there.”) :lol:

Michi - Keeping it classy with Voyeur for the CD-I, and as always, an amazing review (featuring perfectly pixelated FMV)!

Ack - God bless him. He played a racist FPS so we don’t have too! Apparently, the expansions are OK?

Bone - Where to start? Firefly? Fire Fighter? Squeeze Box? Lagoon? Valis?! Makai Hakkenden Shada??!! You’re never getting back all the time you spent with those bad games...

I did get a lot of laughs out of all the reviews, and I learned that Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game isn’t THAT bad. (It’s just really, really ugly.) I also became briefly addicted to Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears on the Gameboy Color. (Don’t judge me.). And, I will caution all of you...Avoid Double Dragon V and Contra Legacy of War like the plague. Those games just straight-up suck. :lol:

Thanks to everyone who participated this month! (If I missed you, let me know so I can add you to the list!)