February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Post by Nemoide »

Played more Sin & Punishment and got up to that "Polestar" missile-boss thing.
I lost a bunch of times which I wouldn't mind if not for the fact that I have limited continues! D:
I don't think I'm going to beat this game. Maybe if an N64-mini comes out and I can use an official-style controller on my Wii and play it with the control scheme as originally intended I would find myself with more patience... but yeah, I'm just getting frustrated.

I know Treasure has the reputation for being beloved and turning out masterworks... but I feel like this is some kind of myth perpetuated by Wikipedia editors who include such statements as "In retrospect, Sin and Punishment is considered one of the best Nintendo 64 games." I'll grant that they've done some creative stuff, but I'm generally wary that Treasure games will be more bad than good.

I might come back to the game tomorrow, and see if my experience is like prfsnl_gmr's and that I'll end up blowing through the rest of the game...
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

So, here's the thing about Polestar. I know it seems like a kick in the groin at first, but it's actually a pretty simple boss. Part of it is just learning its trajectory around the screen, in order to follow it with the red weapon. Even if you're not very good at that, though, as long as you mash the hell out of the melee button as soon as it's in range, you can still probably kill it well before the 'time limit.' You have to melee it, though, or your hopes of killing it are practically zero (they might actually be literally zero, but I'm not totally sure of that).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pierrot wrote:So, here's the thing about Polestar. I know it seems like a kick in the groin at first, but it's actually a pretty simple boss. Part of it is just learning its trajectory around the screen, in order to follow it with the red weapon. Even if you're not very good at that, though, as long as you mash the hell out of the melee button as soon as it's in range, you can still probably kill it well before the 'time limit.' You have to melee it, though, or your hopes of killing it are practically zero (they might actually be literally zero, but I'm not totally sure of that).

This is true. You have to absolutely wail on it with your sword when it’s in range. You cannot pull the trigger too fast at that point. Still...the margin of error’s a bit too tight there for an instant death boss in a game with limited continues.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I do remember that boss being a bit of a pain, but the whole middle of the game, including invading the battleship and then flying around on shrapnel destroying a whole army, was my absolute favourite bit of the game.

I find it interesting that you found that stage the hardest but breezed through the rest, as for me the level shortly after with sidescrolling movement was the worst one - although I was playing on Wii with no controller remapping, and I think it was just that the classic controllers default layout was really not up to the task of handling the sudden control shift there.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Controller re-mapping is key! Makes the game so much better. I think playing it with s N64 controller would be a nightmare.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Controller re-mapping is key! Makes the game so much better. I think playing it with s N64 controller would be a nightmare.

I actually think it would be much easier - I'm used to the c button movement / stick to aim control scheme on N64 - thats my preferred control layout for all FPS games on the system.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Even though its not retro I started a switch game called zombie panic in wonderland dx that fits the theme of this month together retro.

It is a game in the style of cabal/wild guns with an anime artstyle and although zombies are the main enemies there are lots of other random enemies to shoot.

The control is more modern which is nice for this type of game, left stick or d pad moves your character left and right, right stick moves the targeting reticule and the right trigger shoots. It makes aiming and moving smoother than most games of the genre.

So far the game is a lot of fun, but it is definitely on the more challenging side. Anyone else play this game yet?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I played it back on the Wii. It's good for an hour or two and doesn't overstay its welcome like Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ does.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nice. I should pick up Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX. I keep reading nice things about it.

So...I just crushed Sin & Punishment on easy. (I continued once and had something like 20 credits left when I rolled the credits.) Pierrot was right...normal mode is way, way harder (and learning the game on normal mode makes easy mode a cakewalk). The experience redeemed the game in my opinion somewhat, and I am glad I went back to spend some more time with it.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Nemoide wrote:I might come back to the game tomorrow, and see if my experience is like prfsnl_gmr's and that I'll end up blowing through the rest of the game...

Not exactly 'tomorrow' (I've been sick with a cold and haven't been up to action games for the past couple days) but that exactly what ended up happening!
I ended up with ZERO credits the last time I continued, but then the last boss easily generates enough things to shoot to generate plenty of extra credits. Though I still beat it on my first try. I have to admit, it's an epic last boss concept, right up there with Radiant Silvergun.
Overall though, I still feel like this game has some problems. I'm not really interested in beating it again on Normal (or after that Hard) anytime soon.