February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Michi
Next-Gen

February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Post by Michi »

Welcome to February's Together Retro thread!

This months theme is Rails Shooters. In case anyone needs a refresher of the theme:

Off The Rails
Or in this case, On The Rails, cause this is the category dedicated to the Rail Shooter. If you feel the need to shoot stuff, but don’t care to have any of the pesky walking get in the way, then this is the choice for you. There are a surprising amount of newer entries in this category, so remember that whatever game you choose needs to be at least 10 years old.

Some examples include: House of the Dead, Hogan's Alley, Crimson Dragon, Die Hard Trilogy (Specifically Die Hard 2: Die Harder), Killer 7, Yoshi’s Safari, Panzer Dragoon (various), Resident Evil Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles (they’re 10 as of this year *throws confetti*), Rez, Pokemon Snap, Sin & Punishment, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor...

So basically, as long as you can 'shoot' stuff and the game is doing all/most of the 'walking' for you (and it fits within the forums arbitrary 10-year-old mark), you should be good. But if there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Have fun!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Post by noiseredux »

my copy of RE: Darkside Chronicles arrived a few days ago. :D

We've played Umbrella Chronicles, but not this one so my wife and I are planning to fire this one up over the weekend. Lightgun games are one thing that Wii shines at. And as a genre, I do tend to prefer them in co-op.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Yup. The Wii is great when it comes to lightgun games. Considering my love of those types of games and the nostalgia I have from playing them in the arcade (when we still had an arcade around these parts) I was happy to see a resurgence on the Wii.

I'll probably be playing either Darkside or Umbrella myself (I never finished either, so I haven't decided which) and some Pokemon Snap. I'm also hoping to get into a little Sin and Punishment, but February looks like it might be a busy month for me, so we'll see how that goes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

where are you in Florida, Michi? I remember that arcade at Downtown Disney (is it Disney Quest?) being pretty awesome when we there in 2011.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I'm over on the west coast. I remember liking the arcade at Disney the last time I went and I think there's another one in Tampa somewhere that I haven't been to, but both of those are still about 1.5/2 hours away on a good traffic day. Not like the good ol' days when I could just go into town and shoot some Terminators, play some Street Fighter or fail miserably at TMNT because there were never enough people to play :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I hear that. Growing up there was a HUGE arcade in my local mall - about 15 mins away, and there was a Neo Geo big red cab in walking distance from my house at a convenience store. Both of those things went away. About five years ago, they reopened a smaller version of the mall arcade. But it had decent games - MvC2, House Of The Dead II, and so on. When I went to check it out on my Christmas vacation this year, I found the arcade replaced with an indoor bouncy house thing instead. :\
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

So I went to the movies yesterday. First, to, well, see a movie. But I also went for the secondary reason to play on a couple of the only remaining arcade cabs in town. This is relevant to this thread because the owner of the theater is clearly a light-gun fan and has populated the lobby with Jurassic Park 3, Time Crisis 3 and House of the Dead (as well as a new Batman racing game that I will have to remember to try later.)

I will have to go back when I have more quarters with me (thought I had more than I actually did, whoops :oops: ), but suffice it to say that House of the Dead is still fun, especially when paired with the original hardware. I'll have to see if I can convince a friend to go with me next time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The original HOTD is still fun, yeah. Of the series, HOTD2 remains my favorite. But they're all damn fun.

We were planning to play Darkside Chronicles on Saturday night but my wife wasn't feeling too great so we just took it easy. We're going to make it a priority this month, though.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Not sure why the usual suspects haven't all checked into this thread yet, but I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

I'm a little limited on 'new' rail shooters to play in my collection, although I could potential play through Space Harrier II and Super Thunder Blade from the Sega Collection a little bit early.

Mostly though I was planning to spend some time replaying a few I haven't touched in ages. I've never spent much time trying to get medals in Starfox 64, so I might try getting some on the 3DS version. I also thought I might give both Sin & Punishment games a playthrough - I haven't played the 2nd one since it first came out.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Now is everyone's chance to explore some of those alternate endings and paths in Panzer Dragoon Zwei!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.