25%
We're All Doomed
29%

Total votes: 55

Michi
Next-Gen

February Together Retro Poll

Post by Michi »

Alright, lets just jump right into this thing, shall we?

NOM NOM NOM
We’ve all gotta eat. This category is dedicated to games where you consume food in some way to improve your experience. Do you need to eat or collect them for extra health, lives, stats, points or story purposes? Then it counts. Sorry, elixirs aren’t going to apply here, but as long as it’s a viable food or beverage you’re good to go. Some obvious examples include: PacMan, Adventure Island, Castlevania, Donkey Kong Country, Mario....

Off The Rails
Or in this case, On The Rails, cause this is the category dedicated to the Rail Shooter. If you feel the need to shoot stuff, but don’t care to have any of the pesky walking get in the way, then this is the choice for you. There are a surprising amount of newer entries in this category, so remember that whatever game you choose needs to be at least 10 years old. Some examples include: House of the Dead, Crimson Dragon, Die Hard Trilogy (Specifically Die Hard 2: Die Harder), Killer 7, Yoshi’s Safari, Panzer Dragoon (various), Resident Evil Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles (they’re 10 as of this year *throws confetti*), Rez, Pokemon Snap, Sin & Punishment, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Gotta Collect It All
Are you compelled to grab every item you can in a game? Gotta find all the coins, stars, fruit, tools or artifacts just so you can pass a level or even just to say you did? Older games that involve a collection element are a bit maligned today, but the practice has started making a comeback in recent years due to some thing all these newer contraptions are calling ‘trophies.’ It may be on a more scaled back level (unless you’re Mario Odyssey), but it’s still the same thing. Sure, you often don’t have to get it all, but if the option is there than the obsessive compulsive among us just can’t help ourselves. *Note that this category is not strictly focused on the genre known as ‘collect-a-thon’. It includes all games where there is some sort of collection element involved, whether it’s in order to pass a level or just as a side objective, so you’re not relegated to a game where you have to collect all the bananas if you don’t want to. Some examples include: DK 64, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Spyro, Crash, Jak and Daxter, Conker, Sonic, Ducktales, Tomb Raider, Harvest Moon

We’re All Doomed
Has TR never done Doom? Is this a thing? Whatever the case may be, if you’d like to destroy the hordes of Hell, then strap on your space helmet and pick up your space guns, cause we’re going for a very bloody ride. Already played Doom? Then feel free to join us by playing Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64 and Doom 3. Let’s all leave a bloody trail of corpses together.

And if, by chance, you happen to finish the first game early and would like to keep playing by booting up a new, lets say, addition that may be coming out soon and telling us all about it….well, I guess as long as you played through Doom with us first I wouldn’t be opposed to that either.

If there are any questions, please let me know.
Last edited by Michi on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Re: February Together Retro Poll

Post by Ack »

Screw all other options, we're fucking playing DOOM.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

These are GREAT categories, Michi! I really dig the creativity. My votes are in!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I voted for rail shooters because I want to actually beat the panzer dragoon games. My second choice was collect em all because I am currently playing Shenmue 1 HD and should have it finished and moved on to shenmue 2 by the time the month begins. I plan on collecting every capsule toy, move scroll and zippo lighter.

I love all the categories to be fair so I will be very happy with whatever wins. I do want to play through the doom games which I have only ever dabbled in but never committed to, so I would love to see some more enthusiasm for that pick.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I voted for nom nom nom and collect it all because I like broad and flexible categories when t comes to genre and series. Here’s what i’d Play for each category:

Nom nom nom: I have both super adventure island 2 and wonder boy monster lair to play.

Rail shooters: I’d play some of my Sega collection games early - Space Harrier 2 and Super Thunder Blade. Not the best games though.

Collect it all: to me , the obvious choice for this category is Pokemon. Pokemon pinball, Pokemon pinball Ruby & Sapphire and Pokemon Tetris are all games I need to invest more time in, so they would be perfect.

Doomed: sorry, I’d likely sit this one out. I’m just not a big fan of single player FPS at all.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

John Romero's new episode for Doom 1, "Sigil," comes out next month. So I voted for Doom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I just set up my MS-DOS computer last night, so Doom 100% has my vote! I LOVED that game and haven't played in years!
I have the original (Ultimate) Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 3, and Doom for Sega 32X. They're all great! (Well, maybe not Doom 3.)
It's been a long time since I've really played the game: maybe we can play some online multiplayer! I remember there was a program called Doom Legacy that could run the game in Windows at high resolutions, I'm not sure if that's still the best way to run the game.

It would be a lot of fun to explore the mods that have been made for it! I remember getting a kick out of things like Simpsons Doom or Project GeeKeR Doom. And of course there's Chex Quest, if that counts...

The other categories would be plenty of fun too, but I'm REALLY hoping for Doom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'd argue for Chex Quest's honorary inclusion.

There are a lot of different ways to run Doom on PC these days and they've got their pros and cons.

GZDoom is the most modern and compatible source port that removes the limitations of the original engine and has an insane amount of options to tailor your experience to how you want it which includes making the game impressively pretty with some of the sprite and texture filtering. It's the easily the most popular port among the Doom community and an absolute must if you're planning on playing custom content.

PrBoom is an older port that's popular because it's a compromise between modernized visuals and vanilla gameplay. Your mileage will vary with custom wads and total conversions.

Chocolate Doom is the purist solution. Plays exactly like the DOS original preserving the resolution, bugs and limitations of the original exe. It's more convenient than DOS Box and works just as well. If you want to play Doom like we did in the 90's, this is a good pick.

Crispy Doom is another popular compromise for purists who don't want to go blind. It has 640x480 resolution but otherwise is the same purist version of Chocolate Doom with a few limit expanding, but not removing changes to the engine. This is my personal choice for someone wanting the "old school" experience on modern hardware.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Gunstar Green wrote:I'd argue for Chex Quest's honorary inclusion.

I'll allow it.

I mean, I'm already letting you play Sigil, so why the hell not.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm thinking I'll be installing Doom 3: BFG Edition, though folks could always go with Brutal Doom.

But if you really don't wanna do FPS, there is always the Doom mod Hellshots Golf...