January Together Retro: Konami Loves Genesis

Join in on our classic gaming club!
pierrot
Next-Gen

January Together Retro: Konami Loves Genesis

Post by pierrot »

トゥゲザーレトロ第二弾〜一月編〜 Konami Loves Genesis

No offense to anyone outside the US, but I just liked that the thread title almost sounds like Konami is remixing songs by Genesis.

It's been 2019 for a little bit now, here on the east coast. (Happy New Year!) So, I wanted to go ahead and get this thread up for everyone to be able to express their merriment, in the true spirit of the new year, by playing some Konami Games on the Genesis and/or Mega Drive. I've got a lovely list for reference:

Sunset Riders
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
Lethal Enforcers
Rocket Knight Adventures
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Animaniacs
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Contra: Hard Corps
Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters
Sparkster
Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
Internation Superstar Soccer Deluxe

Strap an opossum into a jetpack, and give it a sword, because that's definitely a smart decision!

Unleash your inner Leonardo!

Shoot up some zombies!

Maybe even a criminal or three!

It's all possible in the world of Konami and Genesis! Share your progress, and opinions liberally!
Ziggy

Re: January Together Retro: Konami Loves Genesis

Post by Ziggy »

Konami has some of my favorite games on the console! Of the list, here are the ones I've already played to death...

Sunset Riders
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist - It's kinda a mash up of other TMNT games, but I still love it!
Lethal Enforcers
Rocket Knight Adventures
TMNT: Tournament Fighters - Own on SNES
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure - Just recently purchased this one.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Own on SNES
Animaniacs
Castlevania: Bloodlines - One of my favorite in the OG Castlevania series!
Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters
Sparkster
Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
Internation Superstar Soccer Deluxe

Of the games I haven't played, here's the ones I've been meaning to get to...

Rocket Knight Adventures
Sparkster
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I would have really liked to have gotten to Contra: Hard Corps or Rocket Knight Adventures, but I don't know if I'd get to them.

They are both very hard games and require a bunch of time in them. I also will start my Random Game Marathon and neither of those games are on my list.

I may go through TMNT: Hyperstone Heist because that is just a fun jaunt!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Since I don't own Hard Corps and will be playing it on a flash cart anyway, I think I'll be using this patch...

Contra Hard Corps Hit Points Restoration Hack wrote:This is a patch for Contra Hard Corps (U) for the Sega Genesis. In the version of the game that was originally released in Japan, it was possible to take three hits before dying. For unknown reasons, this functionality was removed when the game was released in the US, making the game vastly more difficult in the process. This patch restores the ability to take three hits, complete with the life bar.

For all intents and purposes, it'll be like playing the Japanese version but with an English translation.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm looking forward to revisiting Animaniacs for Genesis, a game I haven't played since I was a kid. I remember beating it multiple times, but I also remember needing to continue a lot... we'll see what I think as an adult!

I'll probably play some Castlevania Bloodlines too, though I might not beat it again for the month. That game is HARD and I don't like how it uses limited continues.

Those are the only two Konami Genesis games I own, so that's all I'll do. I'm not planning on buying more for the month, though I WOULD like to get Sunset Riders and Rocket Knight Adventures in my collection at some point as they're both games I have fond childhood memories of.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ziggy587 wrote:Rocket Knight Adventures
Sparkster

I would personally make RKA, and Hard Corps priorities. They're legit. Sparkster is still a pretty good game, but not nearly as good as RKA. Also, I would kind of like to demystify Hard Corps, if possible; It's really not that difficult. It is absolutely not more difficult than Contra III. I kind of doubt it's even much more difficult than Contra (NES), if at all. I would recommend spending some good time with the original US version, first. The changes made to the Japanese version (it was released to the Japanese market a good month after the US release, so it seems more likely that the added health, and unlimited continues were additions to the game, not things removed from it) make the whole thing a cake walk. It's worth it to learn the game, and feel that rush of adrenaline after climbing to the top of a rocket, and blasting some alien scum to hell and back! Use Browny first. Trust me.

I'm going to start off with Buster's Hidden Treasure. It's a game I had when I was a kid, but got rid of somewhere along the line. I never made it very far into the game, but it seems like it could be better than Buster Busts Loose, at least. I'll probably also work on finishing the other two endings in Contra: Hard Corps. They're the shortest paths of the four main ones, so it probably won't take too much effort to learn the couple of extra stages in them. I might also work on a Morris run in Bloodlines, after that. I've beaten the game as Lecarde, but never bothered to play as Morris. I could also replay Hyperstone Heist, for fun, but I might try out Animaniacs, and/or Sunset Riders instead. Maybe I'll get to ZAMN after that. We'll see.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I hope SEGA CD counts since I planned on playing through Snatcher anyway.
I may play some Rocket Knight or Tiny Toons as well.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

pierrot wrote:I would personally make RKA, and Hard Corps priorities. They're legit. Sparkster is still a pretty good game, but not nearly as good as RKA. Also, I would kind of like to demystify Hard Corps, if possible; It's really not that difficult. It is absolutely not more difficult than Contra III. I kind of doubt it's even much more difficult than Contra (NES), if at all. I would recommend spending some good time with the original US version, first. The changes made to the Japanese version (it was released to the Japanese market a good month after the US release, so it seems more likely that the added health, and unlimited continues were additions to the game, not things removed from it) make the whole thing a cake walk. It's worth it to learn the game, and feel that rush of adrenaline after climbing to the top of a rocket, and blasting some alien scum to hell and back! Use Browny first. Trust me.

You may be right. I just played through a bunch of levels using the Hit Point Restoration Hack, and it seems maybe too easy. You can just tank through most areas instead of getting good.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Hard Corps is harder than Contra or Contra III, but easier than Contra III on Hard. At least in my experience. There are so many boss fights that once you get patterns down and keep the right weapon loadouts, you can cruise pretty well.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ziggy587 wrote:TMNT: Tournament Fighters - Own on SNES

Oh, by the way, the genesis version is pretty different from the SNES version of that game. It's not better, by any means, but it is different.

SpaceBooger wrote:I hope SEGA CD counts since I planned on playing through Snatcher anyway.

Well, I had kind of purposely excluded the SEGA CD Konami games, but considering that there are only three of them, and two of them have cartridge releases anyway, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about someone playing Snatcher. For what it's worth, though, Kojima considers the existence of the SEGA CD version to be an unholy abomination. Apparently it is not to his standards, and only the original PC versions, and the PC Engine CD version should be played. I actually played it on the Saturn, and thought it was tremendously all right in a way that I don't really think playing the PC Engine version would really change my opinion, though.

I finished Buster's Hidden Treasure a little bit ago. It was pretty tough. I am not surprised that I didn't get very far in the game, as a kid, because I'm pretty sure I never knew there was a wall jump maneuver in the game, until playing it again today. I know I used to have all kinds of trouble with the second boss, though. I have no idea why, because that was probably the easiest thing in the entire game. I played a lot of sports as a kid, but apparently that didn't translate at all to video game dexterity. Even if I had known how to wall jump, there is zero point zero chance I would have ever beaten the game, let alone made it to Elmyra in the final stage. It's a good thing there are unlimited continues, but I was pretty flabbergasted when I lost all my lives against Elmyra, then got sent back to the beginning of the world. I was able to farm lives in the penultimate stage, though. I farmed up to 31, which was more than enough, because I finished the game with 11 to spare, but it was not easy. That was a much tougher game than I really expected it to be. I'm not sure why, though, because Buster Busts Loose was kind of the same way.

So, Buster's Hidden Treasure is a real treat for the senses (well, a few of them, anyway). It's a wonderfully vibrant, and colorful game, with some pretty good music, and a typical Konami bow tied around the presentation. The trouble is in some of the level design, and controls. In general, the controls are fairly responsive, but they're also a bit wonky, and take some getting used to. At times they feel a little careless, but the worse issue is hit detection, which rarely makes much sense, and often feels like it has to be abused to proceed--'it's not a bug, it's a feature.' The level designs are certainly not the worst, but they also aren't the best, and there is just way to much water and snow/ice in Buster's Hidden Treasure. Both the underwater and ice physics are pretty abysmal, and entirely unfun. Again, they can be managed, but it would have been nice to just have a whole lot less water. The kind of surprising thing is that there are some alternate routes, and some replayability in the extra stages that are route dependent, like Mario World alternate exits. I'm not sure if that's something that would ever bring me back to it, though, personally. I had enough fun with it for one millennium or so. I think I'm good.

I also spent a "credit" on Hyperstone Heist, and died my last death on Stockman, at the end of Scene 4. Then spent a little bit of time playing Sunset Riders (which is real tough, damn), but didn't make it far, even with all the continues. It's curiously one of the worst looking Konami games on the Genesis. It doesn't look terrible, but considering what I had just seen in Buster's Hidden Treasure, and Hyperstone Heist, it seems like they should have been able to do a lot more with the colors. Oh well. I guess every developer has to start somewhere. It plays well, anyway. I just apparently suck at it.