24%
Falcom : [Kiya && Hashimoto; !Faxanadu]
18%

Total votes: 51

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: January "Together Retro' 2 - The Retro-ening Again" Poll

Post by noiseredux »

pierrot wrote:I wouldn't think too hard about it. It's a little bit of a potpourri category of RPGs I love, and demand receive more attention, but limited to the PS1/PS2, plus a game I wanted to feature somewhere, but couldn't without railroading it into a mostly unrelated category. The title is sort of a misnomer. My idea for it, though, is essentially to have everyone get warmed up in a nice sauna/hot-tub of one of the RPGs on the list, then run blithely and nakedly into the brisk snowbank of Monster World IV, for that extra special sensation. That wouldn't necessarily be a requirement, although I would definitely be disappointed in anyone who didn't follow that recipe.

I was definitely overthinking it. I voted for this and Capcom. The RPG category is awesome... it's a good mix of games; and I've been itching to replay DQ8. Plus, January feels like a good RPG month. And Monster World IV is awesome. It's falling behind, though.

As I type this, Konami and Capcom are tied. I have a Switch, 3DS and Xbox One and I don't believe ANY of the Konami Genesis games are available on those platforms now. I'd have quite a few options on the Capcom Dreamcast front. Though I'd still like to see the RPG category make a comeback.

I'd be cool with Shenmue as well. I actually expected more people to vote for it actually, which might be why I mixed it up. Shrug.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:
pierrot wrote:I wouldn't think too hard about it. It's a little bit of a potpourri category of RPGs I love, and demand receive more attention, but limited to the PS1/PS2, plus a game I wanted to feature somewhere, but couldn't without railroading it into a mostly unrelated category. The title is sort of a misnomer. My idea for it, though, is essentially to have everyone get warmed up in a nice sauna/hot-tub of one of the RPGs on the list, then run blithely and nakedly into the brisk snowbank of Monster World IV, for that extra special sensation. That wouldn't necessarily be a requirement, although I would definitely be disappointed in anyone who didn't follow that recipe.

I was definitely overthinking it. I voted for this and Capcom. The RPG category is awesome... it's a good mix of games; and I've been itching to replay DQ8. Plus, January feels like a good RPG month. And Monster World IV is awesome. It's falling behind, though.

As I type this, Konami and Capcom are tied. I have a Switch, 3DS and Xbox One and I don't believe ANY of the Konami Genesis games are available on those platforms now. I'd have quite a few options on the Capcom Dreamcast front. Though I'd still like to see the RPG category make a comeback.

I'd be cool with Shenmue as well. I actually expected more people to vote for it actually, which might be why I mixed it up. Shrug.

We need more Shenmue love. I haven't gone through the HD version yet and would love to have the incentive to smash through it. It looks like they have patched up a lot of the issues I've had with the game and I hope it doesn't feature all of the glitches I've come across.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
CFFJR wrote:I voted Shenmue and Capcom. Hard to choose between Capcom and Konami, but I've beaten nearly every game on the latter list.

Great options though.

Same here. Wish shenmue got more love for its brilliance. We all laud red dead redemption 2 for its attention to detail, slow pace emphasis on realism, but deride shenmue for the same reasons. Don't get it.

Also Capcom games on the dreamcast... Best time ever.

Those elements of RDR2 are exactly why I'm not really interested in it (that and the old west setting is meh to me). If I wanted to engage in minutiae I'd go interact with real life people instead. I want a power fantasy.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I played RDR earlier this year, and wasn't into it. I'm also not a fan of cowboy/old west settings, unless it has robots.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ya know, I like these categories. How they're restrictive without being too restrictive. Something I'd like to emulate myself next time I have a say in TR (2020?).
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I voted for JRPGs and Falcom because yay RPGs! I'd probably be ok with any of the other categories though. Capcom Dreamcast would potentially be the only tricky one since so far I haven't been a big fan of Capcom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Woo! Shenmue beat Ultraman! I'm calling that a huge success at this point. Anyone feel like bumping up vintage Falcom with a few more votes?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

one day left, but looks to be a runaway. I think I'm gonna have to sit January out as I don't believe I have access to any applicable games via Xbox One, Switch or 3DS.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If only you didn't hyper focus your collection with a shift every few years.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:If only you didn't hyper focus your collection with a shift every few years.

if only. But that's my personality type. Not just with games.

But in general, I don't like having a bunch of consoles. I don't have room to keep that many hooked up, so I tend to focus on what's keeping my attention for a time. Yeah. But I mean, I have no shortage of games to play. I just can't participate this month. Which is fine. I'll probably have some new games under the Christmas tree to keep me busy in January anyway.