December Together Retro: Shmuptacular

Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: December Together Retro: Shmuptacular

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:UN Squadron is a rather unique way of making a shooter more console-ish. The idea of leveling up and also earning money to spend on secondary weapons is something I haven't really seen done since.

Tyrian 2000 has a money system that buys ship upgrades and weapons, along with needing to balance out your power; both your shield (regenerating health) and your weapons use it, so if you use the super expensive weapons you can't take many hits. I believe Raptor: Call of the Shadows also had a money system.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You know another game that totally does that?

Fantasy Zone!!!!!

...and that’s what I’ll be playing. I have most of the games in the series under my belt (including Fantasy Zone II W, which a god-tier shmup that someone else should play this month); so, I will probably go with Fantasy Zone (Game Gear) or Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

My Flip Grip just arrived. 8)
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the combo of leveling plus currency plus mission structure is pretty unique.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm gonna hold off on more Trouble Witches until my Steam Link arrives on Thursday or so. Yes, I bought one of those.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm gonna hold off on more Trouble Witches until my Steam Link arrives on Thursday or so. Yes, I bought one of those.

Shooooot, where did you order it? I can't find it on the Steam stores... maybe I'm too late. I wish I jumped on those $2 sales. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm still trying to make up my mind about which game I'll focus on this month. I'm somewhat leaning towards Gradius right now.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Xeogred wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm gonna hold off on more Trouble Witches until my Steam Link arrives on Thursday or so. Yes, I bought one of those.

Shooooot, where did you order it? I can't find it on the Steam stores... maybe I'm too late. I wish I jumped on those $2 sales. :lol:

Yeah they're not manufacturing any more, I got it during the last Steam sale... There are plenty on eBay, but getting one for $2.50 isn't gonna happen.

Has anyone played Trouble Witches? It's a hori shmup with aesthetics similar to Deathsmiles, but more colorful and less "Halloween-y" overall. There's an enemy bullet slow-down mechanic that's kinda cool. Also, currency and shops -- though I'm not in love with the inclusion of those in my shmups.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I feel like I played Trouble Witches years ago in hopes of 'another Deathsmiles,' but got bored w/ it quickly enough and remember next to nothing about it. I also hate "shops" in shmups.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I played Trouble Witches Neo on Xbox 360 and thought it was pretty great; I'm not sure how different from the other games in the series it is. I thought the slowdown mechanic was interesting and liked my time with the game overall. It's also one of the VERY few shmups I managed to 1CC (on an easy difficulty). It's been a while since I've played it, but for fans of bullet hell or cute-em-ups, I'd say it's a game that's worth playing!

Also it has one of the worst English dubs of all-time. (Thankfully there is a Japanese language option.)