Together Retro 2019 planning - calendar decided?

Join in on our classic gaming club!

Would you like to see previous options get a run-off vote in 2019's Together Retro schedule?

No, I'd rather more people got a chance to submit new ideas
22%
Yes, in June & December - runners up in the previous votes
22%
Yes, in June & December - monthly nominators choose which option returns
6%
Yes, in December only - runners up from the whole year!
39%
Yes, in December only - nominators nominate a second from the whole year
11%

Total votes: 18

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro 2019 planning - calendar decided?

Post by alienjesus »

So, assuming no objections, next year looks like this:

Jan: Pierrot
Feb: Michi
Mar: Marurun
Apr: BogusMeatFactory
May: Prfsnl_gmr
Jun: Gunstar Green (dependant on poll result)
Jul: Nemoide
Aug: greedy Alienjesus
Sep: greedy Sarge
Oct: greedy CFFJR
Nov: greedy Markies
Dec: Vote between runner ups from January - November

Spinning this off of the 2018 thread to keep it focused, if anyone (mods) has any objections to me starting this up myself let me know and feel free to close it.

Together Retro 2018 is soon coming to a close, with the December voting post up now (go vote if you didn't already!). I think we should start thinking about who will be taking on the monthly themes for 2019, as the voting post for January will need to go up next month. I don't think we need to reconsider the format - what we're doing now seems to be working great and participation is still pretty good.

The consensus seems to be that members who didn't get to suggest themes last year should get first dibs for 2019, and I agree that seems fair. If anyone would like to take a month they should post in the thread and I'll add their name below. After that, the rest of the months (if any) can be taken by members who have already had a month in 2018. We can figure out how that will work later, but any members who would like a 2nd chance to nominate should also post (and let me know they had a 2018 month too!) and I'll list them aswell.

The 'I haven't done a TR theme yet and would like to in 2019' list:
Prfsnl_gmr
Marurun(?)
Nemoide
BogusMeatFactory
Pierrot
Gunstar Green
Michi

The 'I chose some themes in TR 2018 but am greedy enthusiastic and want to do another one next year' list:
Alienjesus
Exhuminator
Sarge
Ack
Markies
Noiseredux
CFFJR
Elkinfencer10

Anyone else got any different ideas? Post those too! Co-curatorships were suggested, and I think that's fine if people choose to request together.

Other suggestions:
June & December become a run-off between options from previous months
No vote switching becomes a rule
Last edited by alienjesus on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Ack

Re: Together Retro 2019 planning thread

Post by Ack »

I'm greedy. And I like making you all feel pain.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'd like to do one with slightly less pain.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I would love to see an all new cast of curators for 2019, for variety's sake. But it's good to have backup curators.

If I were to be so bold as to request influence; it'd be nice to see more cerebrally active genres take precedence a few months. By that I mean; strategy games, adventure games, puzzle games, simulation games, SRPGs - stuff that uses your brain as much as your thumbs. Looking forward to another year of retro love!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:I would love to see an all new cast of curators for 2019, for variety's sake. But it's good to have backup curators.

If I were to be so bold as to request influence; it'd be nice to see more cerebrally active genres take precedence a few months. By that I mean; strategy games, adventure games, puzzle games, simulation games, SRPGs - stuff that uses your brain as much as your thumbs. Looking forward to another year of retro love!

I blame the voters. There were several times those categories came up and were voted down.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am so excited! :D

One recommendation...we could make one or two months each year a “second chance” month where we pit the runners-up from the previous five or six months against each other. Just a thought.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:One recommendation...we could make one or two months each year a “second chance” month where we pit the runners-up from the previous five or six months against each other. Just a thought.

I like this idea. Premillennial Mech Madness wants revenge. It would even be willing to drop the "Premillenial" part to do it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm willing to take a stab at a month of TR; I've really liked how the new format of the past year has turned out!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:One recommendation...we could make one or two months each year a “second chance” month where we pit the runners-up from the previous five or six months against each other. Just a thought.

I like this idea. Premillennial Mech Madness wants revenge. It would even be willing to drop the "Premillenial" part to do it.

I have an idea based on this concept then. How about in June and December, we offer up one of the losing choices from the last five months as voting options? People who nominated in those months can pick their favorite, or we can go with whatever got the second most votes that month. Either way, it gives us five selectable options that are all curated and viable.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am so excited! :D

One recommendation...we could make one or two months each year a “second chance” month where we pit the runners-up from the previous five or six months against each other. Just a thought.

That was actually a thing I was considering; picking my four favorite themes that didn't win and adding in Ultraman for a final poll. But then I got the CRPGs and Rebooted games ideas and decided to do a full normal month.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.