Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: November Together Retro: Time Travelers Never Die

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 pm

noiseredux wrote:Worked out a trade with Stark for a copy of Chrono Trigger over the weekend so now I'm wondering if I should focus on that this month instead.

I'm mean, it's like literally the best game ever made so yeah.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Esteemed time travelling colleagues:

By your learned estimation, what is the best version of Chrono Trigger to play in this day and age (SNES, PS1, DS, Remaster, etc.)?

Sincerely Yours,
Marty McSupaFly of The Year 2018 A.D.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:59 pm

SNES, then DS. Ignore all other ports.
Ack

by Ack Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 am

Well, I beat Prisoner of Ice last night. I have mixed feelings about the game overall, mainly because it has some terrible pixel hunts for items. However, I want to talk about time travel for a bit, because PoI presents some that is...interesting.

Obviously if you care about plot, this is going to be spoiler-heavy.

First and foremost, before man, there were elder gods. By the time man showed up, these folks weren't so big anymore, but then a masked man arrived and took over a proto-Aztec civilization, teaching about how to travel back in time and reviving worship in the elder gods, who now waited just beyond the door of time to return and feast upon the souls of everyone on Earth. The masked man never succeeded in opening this door, but he definitely brought the tools and built a nasty, bloody empire. Researchers in the start of the 20th century then look into this history and begin deciphering the secrets that the masked man was never able to solve.

Years later, a baby is found with a broken metal plate that says R YAN, so he becomes our hero, named Ryan. And now things get weird: Ryan isn't Ryan's name, but that's unimportant. What is important is that Ryan's father sent Ryan back in time from the future to the past so that he could help stop the Nazis from getting time travel powers and bringing back the elder gods. In the process, Ryan unwittingly saves his own great-grandfather from Nazis, acquires magic powers, and sends a maniacal Nazi officer wearing a metal mask back in time...do you get where this is going?

In short, Prisoner of Ice uses time travel both as the cause and the solution and the cause and the solution and the cause. Ryan's actions save the world but also doom the world by causing everything that happened. Yet because these actions occurred, Ryan must be sent back in time to save the world. Time for Ryan is effectively stuck in a loop, and on beating the game you get to chose your endings...which show either Ryan stuck in the past of the 1930s or ceasing to exist for the time being due to the changing timeline. He will not exist until he is born sometime later, and then he will be sent back almost immediately to stop the Nazis. Of course you find all of this out by time traveling way later to ruins in the 2130s, so who even knows if humanity still exists at this point? Also, you manage to save yourself from being assassinated earlier in the game.

That's quite the path through time, but hey, it involves the elder gods, and they don't care about such pitiful, insignificant concepts. They eat souls, and existence is merely their dream, so time, you, me, this computer, and this game don't really exist anyway.

Have a pleasant day!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 am

I'm about to wrap up the thematically-appropriate-but-far-too-new Virtue's Last Reward tonight, and then I'll be getting stuck into Flower, Sun and Rain which just makes the 10 year cut-off.

I'm still gonna play Ghost Trick too, but I figured I'd start with the game that fits entirely into the rules first. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:48 am

I started up Flower, Sun and Rain this morning, and I've only played about 30 minutes, but my first reaction is that this game is ...weird. And I know being that it's a Suda51 that is to be expected, but the first half hour involved me talking to a dude with a lot of awkward innuendo, then 'jacking' into his eye. This is done by plugging my briefcase into his eyeball using a cable and then typing in my birthday. After that I opened a gate by typing my birthday in backwards. There was no real reason for this to be the case in-universe, I was just told that that was the code by the main character.

After that I arrived at the Flower, Sun and Rain hotel where I've been told that time is lost and so is a bomb that will kill everyone, so I'd best find it. My job is as a searcher who finds stuff, so I guess I'm meant to find both the bomb and time? It's weird, is what I'm saying.

There's definitely an interesting style to the game, but it feels kinda unpolished in many ways. DS 3D is obviously not the best, but I know it can do higher res textures than the literal big blocky lines on everything here. The weirdest thing was the walk up the path to the hotel though - it's a straight line, and I'm playing on a d-pad, so you'd assume you press up to go up the path - but that actually doesn't work. Due to the odd camera angle you end up walking kinda north-northwest, so you just have to constantly manouevre between up and up left to reorientate yourself, because it's impossible to just go straight towards the hotel using the 8 directions the D-pad can do.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I've heard mixed opinions of this game, but basically all of them said it was a flawed experience. We'll see if the uniqueness can make it worth playing.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 am

alienjesus wrote:I've heard mixed opinions of this game.

I tried to get into FS&R last year. The concept is wacky as expected from the designer, but I found the experience to be aggressively terrible. Horrible game design coupled with absurdly bad graphics. People who love FS&R will argue "that's the joke". Well I didn't find the joke funny, nor worth the hassle of enduring for however long it lasts. But who knows maybe you'll love it.

-

Geez it's already the end of the first week of November. Due to real life obligations and time sinks, I have not played any Unwound Future in the past few days. I'll try to get some time into it tonight. I keep playing these Layton games hoping I'll fall in love with them like so many others did. It may be I'm just too Exhuminator to resonate with Layton's cloying innocence. Still I'm about halfway done with Unwound, seems a shame to dump it now, when it's possible the game could become much more interesting in its latter half. At any rate, I'm a lot more interested in Future Wars and Shadow of Destiny, looking forward to those.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Going back to Chrono Trigger to see if I can get past where I got stopped before. I just recently arrived at the End of Time. I am starting to find some of the battles a bit challenging, but at least there aren't gratuitous numbers of them. That said, I wouldn't mind the battles being just a hair easier. Maybe I'm not grinding enough (at all).
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:03 pm

You don't need to grind in Chrono Trigger. I do (a bit) though I enjoy being overleveled in JRPGs. Just make sure you fight every scripted battle in every area, and you'll be fine. Don't purposefully avoid any battles.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:22 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You don't need to grind in Chrono Trigger. I do (a bit) though I enjoy being overleveled in JRPGs. Just make sure you fight every scripted battle in every area, and you'll be fine. Don't purposefully avoid any battles.

When I first played through Chrono Trigger I found I needed to go and do some of the optional late game areas to get the better equipment and some more levels before I could beat the final boss.
Return to Together Retro