Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: November Together Retro: Time Travelers Never Die

by Sarge Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm

I played through Ninja Commando for Neo Geo. It's perfectly "meh". It should be better than it is, but it's tuned to be a pure quarter muncher. Worse, the evasion move has significant startup lag, so by the time you react to an enemy coming, it's too late to dodge via the flip anyway. If this were just a bit more effective, and your life meter not nearly so short, I think I could dig this one. As it is, I figure I'd have dumped $10 at least into this back in the day, which, even for its time, is rather ridiculous.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:38 pm

Alright, I wanted to finish something this month so I fired up the tried and true Lost Vikings.

A fantastic game I can play anytime. I just finished the trees (TRSS) area of the prehistoric world. As I kid I figured out that there was a skippable key in this stage, and I always take advantage of the trick during every subsequent playthrough.

Tried some 2-player with my daughter the other night but it's a pretty clumsy ordeal.

Honestly, I never even realized this was a "time travel" game -- I always thought the vikings were simply being "teleported" to various locales. But the internet confirms it is indeed time travel. The game doesn't do a great job expressing this. Sure, I can buy prehistory and Ancient Egypt as "time travel" periods, but the futuristic spaceship is simply what abducts the vikings in their "present time" and the Candy Land and Factory worlds are just kinda random settings. I guess it doesn't matter.

Hope to have this one banged out before December.
marurun

by marurun Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:55 am

Still plugging at Chrono Trigger. Nearing the end, but I want to do all the side quests, so I probably won't complete it before the end of the month, but I'll be pretty darn close.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 pm

And I've been plugging away at Chrono Cross! Now I am become death, via body switching, and am in my favorite part of the game: The part where I get to travel around with Harle/Tsukuyomi. (There are some name changes I don't particularly mind, like Tsukuyomi being renamed Harle in the English version, but I can not abide renaming Slash as "Nikki." I'm sorry, but on what planet is Motley Crue better than Guns N' Roses? Let alone so much better as to warrant that change? Maybe they thought Motley Crue fit the character's visual-kei style better, which I could kind of acknowledge, except Nikki Sixx isn't even a solo guitarist, so what are we doing here, localization team?)

For some reason I had really thought the game switches over to disc 2 where I am now, which I was really anticipating, because the first disc of this Japanese copy I have seems to have some minor issues. (Mostly in combat, where a bunch of graphical bugs occur.) I was really hoping to see if the second disc (which seems unplayed) would have the same issues. I am somewhere near halfway through the game, at any rate. My progress has slowed down a little bit, recently, mostly because of the time of year. I don't really anticipate finishing it before the end of the month, just because I have a lot of projects I need to get wrapped up, but I have really been enjoying replaying Chrono Cross, when I've had the time for it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 am

Slash was already taken.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:34 pm

MrPopo wrote:Slash was already taken.

I was going to say that technically so was "Glenn," but I had completely forgotten about the trio being secret bosses in CC. I've yet to play CT in Japanese, but apparently they are 'Vinegar,' 'Soy-Sauce' and 'Mayo,' there. Still it's not just that his name was changed, but also what it was changed to. If they were forced to move on from Slash, then his name needed to be changed to "Jimi," "Tony," "Stevie," "Joe," or "Eric." They really should have thought a little more carefully about it, and just named him "hide," though; Left his profession as a 'Visual-kei Artist'; Potentially make people investigate some Japanese bands. Oh well.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 am

I didn't beat anything this month, but I did play a little World Heroes Perfect after World Heroes 2 Jet.

If you're only going to play one of the World Heroes games, Perfect is definitely the one to go for. First, the time-travel aspect is front and center with different stages throughout history. Second, the gameplay feels the most refined and while the games have always been based on Street Fighter II, Perfect actually replicates the light/medium/strong kicks & punches - a welcome control scheme on the console but this had to be SUPER AWKWARD on an arcade cab. I played using the Neo Geo Pad 2 for PS2, which is based on the Neo Geo CD controller but has six buttons on the face and the World Heroes Anthology allows for button-mapping, which makes it much more accessible than on legit Neo Geo hardware.
Perfect might be the best World Heroes but it's still a middle-of-the-road fighting game. Much of my problem with fighting games is that they're more fun with another player to play against, but I don't know anyone on my level (ie, the fighting game peeps I know are way way better than me) so I'm just playing single player. And do I really want to master World Heroes? I'd like to cross it off my backlog, but... IDK, I feel like fighting games just aren't really my thing these days.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:34 am

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated this month. I hope it was fun.

And with that, happy December, go play some shmups.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:21 pm

I am near the end of Chrono Trigger, so my November game will extend briefly into December. But I’m not giving up!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 pm

CFFJR wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated this month. I hope it was fun.

And with that, happy December, go play some shmups.

Thanks for hosting, CFFJF. It was a great theme, and i really enjoyed reading everyone’s entries.
Return to Together Retro