Comix!
27%

Total votes: 41

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: November Together Retro Poll

Post by noiseredux »

Xeogred wrote:But then... only FOUR dungeons? :|

In fairness, Phantasy Star Online and Destiny both technically had four 'dungeons,' and I spent A LOT of time enjoying them. That said, I feel like Majora's Mask (as I remember it) was more about story and vibe for me than about the traditional Zelda-ing. I don't know. It's been a decade plus, and I'll admit that my tastes can change over the years, so it'll be nice to revisit it.

RE: Radiant Historia - I know the name, but nothing about it. I was confusing it with another game... wasn't there some kind of sorta spiritual successor that came after Chrono Cross? My memory is fuzzy here. Someone help me out.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

noiseredux wrote:
Xeogred wrote:But then... only FOUR dungeons? :|

In fairness, Phantasy Star Online and Destiny both technically had four 'dungeons,' and I spent A LOT of time enjoying them. That said, I feel like Majora's Mask (as I remember it) was more about story and vibe for me than about the traditional Zelda-ing. I don't know. It's been a decade plus, and I'll admit that my tastes can change over the years, so it'll be nice to revisit it.

RE: Radiant Historia - I know the name, but nothing about it. I was confusing it with another game... wasn't there some kind of sorta spiritual successor that came after Chrono Cross? My memory is fuzzy here. Someone help me out.

My main issue with the count, is that coming off of Ocarina which had 3 Kid Link dungeons, 5 Adult Link, then the ice caves, well/sewers, and Ganon's Tower, throw in Gerudo's Fortress if you want... and yeah, then just four in Majora's haha. Like I said, I appreciated they were much harder and more complex though. But most of the game beyond that from what I remember was dozens of fetch quests around the bigger town and more of that stuff, when I prefer simple dungeon crawling in Zelda's.

But yeah, seriously haven't played it myself in full since the N64 release. I mean I don't see my thoughts changing on it much, but it's been so long I'd love to go through it again. I'm sure I'd still rank it above Wind Waker. :P

There was Radical Dreamers on the SNES, which is technically a Chrono game around Cross I believe, but it's a weird interactive novel thing. Is that what you're thinking of?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yes! Radical Dreamers, thank you.

Also Wind Waker is in my top tier Zelda games haha.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Radiant Historia is actually a fantastic game, though not remotely "retro" in my opinion (it's about exactly eight years old). As Popo stated, the time travel involves hopping around main and alternate "timelines" rather than traveling to extravagant areas à la Chrono Trigger.

Reminder that the original Final Fantasy actually has time travel.

So does The 7th Saga.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Radiant Historia is actually a fantastic game, though not remotely "retro" in my opinion (it's about exactly eight years old).

I don't think Radiant Historia is old enough to be "retro" yet. It even got a beefed up port to 3DS this year:

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

my Majora's Mask order got screwed up, so I was considering a replay of Chrono Trigger after all... but damn, prices on the DS version have really gone up lately. :(
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The Steam version is supposed to be quite good now that it's been patched a couple times.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:The Steam version is supposed to be quite good now that it's been patched a couple times.

that may be, but I'm trying to give myself portable options for November for logistical purposes. I would have spent a lot more time w/ RE this month if I had had it on DS it turns out. So I'm pretty narrowed down to Chrono Trigger or Majora's Mask, and MM is a lot cheaper.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:
MrPopo wrote:The Steam version is supposed to be quite good now that it's been patched a couple times.

that may be, but I'm trying to give myself portable options for November for logistical purposes. I would have spent a lot more time w/ RE this month if I had had it on DS it turns out. So I'm pretty narrowed down to Chrono Trigger or Majora's Mask, and MM is a lot cheaper.

Have you played the Oracles Zelda games? Both could work and they're on 3DS virtual console.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I downloaded Time Soldiers (PS3) yesterday, and I am hoping to find a way to emulate some of the BBC Micro Doctor Who games. Getting pumped!!!

Also...those of you who haven’t played them yet should consider:

Ape Escape
Chrono Trigger
Day of the Tentacle
The Lost Vikings
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Sonic CD
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Zoda’s Revenge

All are retro. All are rad. (Those Zelda games you people keep talking about are pretty good too, I guess...)

Finally, someone, not me, should play Time Killers. :lol: