Horror RPGs
24%
Warhammer 40,000
10%

Total votes : 58
marurun

Re: October Together Retro Poll

by marurun Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 pm

If GOG is spinning up your disc drive, you probably need an exorcist.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 pm

I voted classics because they are, well classic. And I always like an excuse to go back to them.

And also point and click because I'm a fan of the genre.

We are in good/evil hands here folks.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 am

I voted RPGs because I've owned Koudelka for a while and need a reason to play it.

None of the others appealed as much, but I also voted for classics because I figure I could pick up and play Resi 2 on N64, or else play Resident Evil 0 which I alreayd have. I noticed it wasn't already on the list, but Fatal Frame was and it's from about the same time, so I'm hoping it counts.

Does Gregory Horror Show count as a classic? I've always wanted an excuse to try that.
Ack

by Ack Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 am

Gregory Horror Show? I'll allow it. Fatal Frame too, definitely.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 am

Hey Ack, in the OP what is Silent Hill 0? Or did you mean RE0?
Ack

by Ack Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 am

Silent Hill 0rigins, which released on PSP and then had a PS2 port, is 0 in the series. While it wasn't developed by Team Silent and makes some changes, it adheres strongly enough to the base Silent Hill formula that I consider it worth being played if you are fans of the SH series.

Don't think of my suggested games as the only things you can play. Think of them as guidelines if you have no idea what to play. But there are many possibilities.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:31 am

You planks just cant handle 40k.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:10 am

fastbilly1 wrote:You planks just cant handle 40k.

Cool series, but I don't think it resonates with October like the other choices do. I've been looking for an excuse to finally beat a Fatal Frame entry, or Silent Hill 2, this TR could be the ticket.

If horror RPGs wins, you all should beat Koudelka or Shadow Hearts, absolutely! I've finished both of those, and loved them. (I even beat Shadow Hearts twice, which is something I never do with JRPGs.) Also, Sweet Home on Famicom. Finished that one last year myself, was quite the crazy ride.

If somehow horror point 'n clicks win, check out the sadly neglected Last Half of Darkness series.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:21 pm

My buddy and I have had a repro of Clocktower in the wings for a year. This is inspiring me to make plans ahead of time for us to sit down with it, maybe even have a horror party sleepover situation...

I've also been needing a kick in the pants to get on with Code Veronica (op said that still counted, right? Will go back to look).

This creativity aspect is intriguing... definitely keeping my eye on October for this.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm seeing Koudelka get named dropped a bit here, I'm playing it right now and it's amazing. I also beat Shadow Hearts earlier this year. If these titles fit the category that wins, I give them extremely high recommendations. I look forward to playing Shadow Hearts Covenant eventually.

I can also give a thumbs up to Silent Hill Origins as well. It plays just like 1-3 and is great because of that. Definitely the best non-Team Silent installment for my money. Downpour has a great story for the non-Team Silent stuff though, but it's a technical mess on a crap budget.

Code Veronica... my least favorite classic RE by miles. I think noise and others have seen my rants though so I'll spare you all for now. I'll just recommend multiple save slots. :roll: :lol:
Return to Together Retro