24%
Warhammer 40,000
10%

Total votes: 58

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: October Together Retro Poll

Post by noiseredux »

Lol yes I know full well your hatred for CV haha.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

noiseredux wrote:Lol yes I know full well your hatred for CV haha.

I'm not sure I do--. Was it the gold rubber-arm dudes? I love CV. It's easily my favorite of the original four Resident Evils. I also so seldom make backup saves, I may as well just say that I never do; What did you need multiple saves for, Xeo? I played Kanzenban on the Dreamcast--just putting that out there.

So who's going to play Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, if Horror RPGs wins? Y'know, they say that if just 1% of the world's population played BoF:DQ, we would achieve world peace--definitely accurate information.

Personally, I'm hoping for golden age of survival horror (I think BoF:DQ would still work for that). I've been meaning to play Blue Stinger, Dino Crisis, Enemy Zero, and D2. I might even try to keep my lunch down through another go at Deep Fear (It's not really that grotesque, it's just that it looks and plays so poorly).
Kingkongkool

Post by Kingkongkool »

Blue stinger for dream cast.. now that brings back memories. It wasn't even my game, but my brother used to have it.. it still might, who knows. Anyway, him and his friends used to play every day after school. And I thought I had a game addiction, lol.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

pierrot wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Lol yes I know full well your hatred for CV haha.

I'm not sure I do--. Was it the gold rubber-arm dudes? I love CV. It's easily my favorite of the original four Resident Evils. I also so seldom make backup saves, I may as well just say that I never do; What did you need multiple saves for, Xeo? I played Kanzenban on the Dreamcast--just putting that out there.

The plane fight with the Tyrant is a big one. If you don't have enough ammo here, you're fucked. Also the initial part with Chris and the fight with morphed Steve can be bad parts.

- Claire's bowgun sucks
- The game is ugly as poo, fully 3D polygons with like no textures. RE1 PSX has aged better
- Steve, nuff said.
- Backtrack through half the game as Chris! Admittedly not new to the series but this wasn't an exciting turning point.
- Gumbi arm dudes like you mentioned.

+ Good save theme as always
+ Claire is awesome
+ Wesker's back

That's all I'd give it though. I've beaten it a few times, last with the hilariously bad HD remaster. I don't think I'll touch it again though, I'd put RE3 and Zero above it which aren't my favorites either. That said, I've only played the CV:X versions, so I don't know how different the original is. I'd still say it's a must play at least once for RE fans but your mileage can definitely vary.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

It is taking all the strongth in my body to not look at Xeo's spoiler cut, haha. Will! Resist!!

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Ack

Post by Ack »

Is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter a horror game? It seems to incorporate aspects of body horror, but I don't know if it goes so far as to become horror...

That said, reading up on it recently did make me more interested in trying it someday. Perhaps I'll seek it out.

Oh, and Code Veronica was the first time I felt the Resident Evil series plot went entirely off the rails, which is saying something.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I voted for Golden Age of Survival Horror and P&C Horror. It looks like Survival Horror is really taking an early lead, for which I'm pretty stoked. Earlier this year I installed the PC version of Silent Hill 2 and got it all gussied up with the Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition mod pack. It looks really nice! So assuming we're that Survival Horror takes the prize, that's probably what I'll be playing first. It's a bit of a conundrum though, because this is a game I've played a lot, whereas I feel one of the goals of TR is to encourage new-ish retro gaming experiences. But I mean, c'mon this game has a gravitational pull, drawing you ever closer to its singularity ...

"In my restless dreams, I see that town
Silent Hill
You promised you'd take me there again someday,
But you never did.
Well I'm alone there now
In our special place
waiting for you ...
"

:mrgreen:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:Is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter a horror game?

Hmm. Pierrot is the first person I've ever seen to insinuate as such. I'm sure it's not that he adores the game and just wants to shoehorn it into a TR. But I've never played Breath of Fire: Groundhog Day myself, despite owning a copy since the HyShot III scramjet was first successfully tested at Woomera.

I'm more interested in overt obvious horror games personally. This stands to be an exciting TR. Looking forward to it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don't like scary stuff, so I'll likely be sitting this one out, but if, for some reason, Horror Point and Click wins, I would recommend considering the Gabriel Knight games. They dabble in supernatural horror tropes and while they aren't really all that scary, they do have some creepy content and exist in that space.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Exhuminator wrote:I'm sure it's not that he adores the game and just wants to shoehorn it into a TR. But I've never played Breath of Fire: Groundhog Day myself, despite owning a copy since the HyShot III scramjet was first successfully tested at Woomera.

Absolutely. No way. Could not even possibly be that. To even suggest as such would be completely irresponsible. >_>
I can't believe you waited three years to buy it, though. Also, I would be shocked if you didn't feel like playing a second loop after finishing it for a first time, Ex. Every time I've come back to the game, and finished a loop, I almost immediately play through most or all of a second loop, and it only gets better with each clear (the difficulty level in the first half of the game plummets, but trying to do it without any hard saves at least maintains some tension through it all).

Ack wrote:Is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter a horror game? It seems to incorporate aspects of body horror, but I don't know if it goes so far as to become horror...

That said, reading up on it recently did make me more interested in trying it someday. Perhaps I'll seek it out.

It's a bit of a stretch, admittedly. It might be the closest thing to a Resident Evil RPG, though. It's not really meant to be a horror game, per se, but there's some mild psychological horror in Nina, and Bosch's backstories, along with some of the bleak existences of the lower D-rank peoples. Tons of survival aspects, and there are a number of enemies that come barreling at the player from blind spots, to provide jump scares, as well. I entirely expect you to not allow it--and no one would play it anyway--but at least I tried. I will die on this hill, dammit!

Key-Glyph wrote:It is taking all the strongth in my body to not look at Xeo's spoiler cut, haha. Will! Resist!!

It's a bit mixed in terms of spoilers, but that's probably a good idea. I take issue with one of the points though:

Xeogred wrote:- The game is ugly as poo, fully 3D polygons with like no textures. RE1 PSX has aged better

Whoa! Hold up. What? I know you love pre-rendered backgrounds, Xeo, and I totally agree that what they did with the contrast in the HD versions makes it look like a hot, steaming pile, but you really might need to check out the Dreamcast version. The game came out in Feb. of 2000 (that's just barely not the 90s) and has an insane level of detail in the environments, for the time. Literally everything has textures:

It definitely looks better than this, anyway:

I remember RE3 having some terribly undersampled backgrounds in the police station, too. CV isn't quite as colorful as the earlier games, sure, but in terms of fidelity, CV is lightyears ahead of RE 1-3.

On the other points, I had to redo those fights you mentioned, quite a number of times, but I kind of liked that CV had that kind of difficulty. I felt it was still pretty fair, even though it kicked the player's ass. I much prefer it to the Tyrant or Nemesis. I might be misremembering how I played it though; I might have actually kept a backup save through the game, but I don't exactly recall. I feel like when I was playing through CV, someone mentioned the second half of the game being the best part, and I thought it might have remembered it being you, Xeo. Anyway, I didn't really mind Steve or the Bowgun, either.

I started out with a terrible opinion of CV from some kneejerk reaction I had to it probably when renting it back in the early 2000s, and ended up pretty in love with it after finally giving it more of a chance a couple years ago. So it's not that I don't understand how people could not like the game, but I don't think most of the criticisms are entirely fair, or consistent, and that goes doubly for my initial criticisms.