24%
Warhammer 40,000
10%

Total votes: 58

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: October Together Retro Poll

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I picked horror RPGs (shocking) and am one of the oddballs who also chose licensed horror games.

Never been too big on the survival horror genre. But if it wins I can try Haunted House on MAX DIFFICULTY.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

pierrot wrote:[Code Veronica defense]

Hehe, touche' man, touche'. We can agree to disagree on a few things here. Like I said at the end of my spoiler though, I still think every classic RE fan should certainly give CV a shot. It definitely has its fans and I can easily see how it's technically the more true RE3, since that was Capcom's original intent and it has bigger story elements for the series. You'll just find it near the bottom of the RE list for me personally. I got some beef with it! But don't hate it. And I don't want to annoy anyone in the thread so I'll stop here.

Speaking of the DC, I wonder how good emulation is nowadays... it definitely has some horror games I should hit up. I still haven't voted and the current winner The Golden Age of Survival Horror seems like the more vanilla theme, but now that I consider the DC here there's probably a ton I need to play.

I'd love to somehow play Deep Fear on the Saturn someday too. It has a really killer OST from famed anime composer Kenji Kawai.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:if it wins I can try Haunted House on MAX DIFFICULTY.

Haunted House is legit. I beat it last October. I was surprised a 2600 game could actually be suspenseful.

Xeogred wrote:consider the DC here there's probably a ton I need to play

ILLBLEED
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Xeogred wrote:I'd love to somehow play Deep Fear on the Saturn someday too. It has a really killer OST from famed anime composer Kenji Kawai.

I've only played a couple hours of it in the past, because I couldn't take any more of it, but I'd recommend keeping expectations fairly low. It is hideously janky, and has a bunch of rooms with no oxygen, coupled with enemies that just repeatedly knock you down and get in the way. It's not pleasant. It's not like RE where you can basically avoid everything, either. Oh, and you thought RE's cutscenes were awkwardly funny? Well, be ready for just the most super awkward cutscenes in Deep Fear. On the plus side, it has a lot of those pre-rendered backgrounds you love, and the character models are probably on par with RE:DC, if not a little better.

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:consider the DC here there's probably a ton I need to play

ILLBLEED

This. So much this.

Carrier could be a lesser one worth playing. It's probably a lot like Deep Fear, but I still kind of want it, anyway.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Although we haven't officially started or anything, I sampled... "something" tonight...

Ack... you were right.

Keep your distance, folks. Surely there's still some other good RE clones out there I haven't played yet instead of this one... :shock:

(the intro and voice acting is downright hilarious and had me rolling at least)

Best part: https://youtu.be/fHAqGr-OQR8?t=5m4s
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Illbleed is fantastic by the way. A truly weird slasher movie simulator. It's also the cousin to Blue Stinger which is not as good. And besides, Blue Stinger is a Christmas game, not a Halloween game.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I regret standing in a game store in around 2002, contemplating buying Illbleed for around $10, and passing on it because Official Dreamcast Magazine gave it a so-so score... maybe SOMEDAY I'll get that game, but not anytime soon.

If I was to buy a game for the Golden Age of Survival Horror, I'd get Silent Hill because never playing any of those games has long been a source of embarrassment for me. BUT I've gotten to many games lately and will probably just play something I already have, most likely Fatal Frame II for oXbox. The original Fatal Frame is really good and I'm under the impression that the first sequel is a totally worthy followup.
Or I might see if I can re-re-resurface my copy of Resident Evil for Saturn and actually finish it. My copy has a scratch and the cost of disc-only copies of that game have gotten STUPID in recent years. Or maybe I'll replay Dino Crisis for Dreamcast on Normal difficulty. I beat it on easy years ago and got to the end a little embarrassed by HOW easy it was.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Nemoide wrote:most likely Fatal Frame II for oXbox.

Oh yeah! This would be my vote. Fatal Frame II on the Wii is actually the only game in the series I've played (my own source of embarrassment), but it was tremendous. Chitose is one of the greatest single things in video games. I really want a video game with Chitose as the main character. If I could ever get the Japanese version of Fatal Frame III for a reasonable price, I would really like to play that one.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Unless something drastic happens looks like "The Golden Age of Survival Horror" is the winning ticket.

Stuff I'm considering...

Dead Space (Xbox 360)
Echo Night (PlayStation)
Laplace´s Demon (Super Famicom)
Fatal Frame (Xbox)
Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut (PS2)

I've never beaten any of those. Quite the full docket, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Dead Space doesn't quite fall in the year range Ack described, but the game's a decade old now. Good enough for me.

Xeogred wrote:Surely there's still some other good RE clones out there I haven't played yet instead of this one...

On PS1 perhaps you'd like Chaos Break, Parasite Eve 2 , Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, The Note, OverBlood, OverBlood 2, Soul of the Samurai, The Guardian of Darkness, Martian Gothic: Unification, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, or even Hellnight. There's also T.R.A.G.: Tactical Rescue Assault Group - Mission of Mercy but it's more action-adventure than survival horror.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

TRAG is awesome, but yeah doesn't totally fit. Galerians definitely does though.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare I've played and enjoyed, got stuck quickly though.

Got some homework with the others!