September Together Retro Poll

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What Should We Play For September's Together Retro?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pm

8-Bit Sports Games
18%
Mario Vs. Sonic
18%
Games Made By Treasure
32%
Street Fighter
14%
Pinball
18%

Total votes: 50

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: September Together Retro Poll

Post by Exhuminator »

I've sampled a lot of Treasure's work, and finished quite a few of their games:
(Anything by Treasure not listed means I haven't played enough of it to have an opinion.)

Alien Soldier = Beat it, this is my favorite Treasure game, loved it.
Astro Boy: Omega Factor = Played it, very good game.
Dynamite Headdy = Worth playing, USA version is super hard.
Guardian Heroes = Beat it, didn't love it.
Gunstar Heroes = Beat it, didn't love it.
Gunstar Super Heroes = Beat it, liked it a LOT more than the first one.
Ikaruga = Played it, very good shmup.
Radiant Silvergun = Played it, very good shmup.
Rakugaki Showtime = Beat it, very good game for multiplayer.
Silhouette Mirage = Played the USA PS1 version, seemed cool, but localization screwed the difficulty.
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor = Beat it, this is my favorite Wii game, it's phenomenal.
Sin and Punishment = Beat it, very good rail shooter.
Wario World = Beat it, rather mediocre 3D platformer I'm afraid.

So out of all that I'd recommend...

Alien Soldier
Gunstar Super Heroes
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Rakugaki Showtime

...the most.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I've never played a Treasure game I didn't like, so I'm happy to see this topic for next month.

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (Sega Genesis)
Dynamite Headdy (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Master System)
Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis, Game Gear)
Light Crusader (Sega Genesis)
Yū Yū Hakusho: Makyō Tōitsusen (Sega Genesis)
Alien Soldier (Sega Genesis)
Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn, Xbox 360)
Radiant Silvergun (Arcade, Sega Saturn, Xbox 360)
Silhouette Mirage (Sega Saturn, PlayStation)
Rakugaki Showtime (PlayStation)
Mischief Makers (Nintendo 64)
Sin and Punishment (Nintendo 64, iQue Player)
Bangai-O (Nintendo 64, Dreamcast)
Ikaruga (Arcade, Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch)
Dragon Drive: D-Masters Shot (GameCube)
Wario World (GameCube)
Stretch Panic AKA Freak Out (PlayStation 2)
Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PlayStation 2)
Gradius V (PlayStation 2)
Advance Guardian Heroes (Game Boy Advance)
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Game Boy Advance)
Gunstar Super Heroes ( Game Boy Advance)
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! (Game Boy Advance)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream (Game Boy Advance)
Bangai-O Spirits (Nintendo DS)
Bleach: Dark Souls (Nintendo DS)
Bleach: The Blade of Fate (Nintendo DS)
Bleach: Versus Crusade (Wii)
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)

I just sort of felt like sorting the catalogue in a way that feels a little better to me. I've already beaten McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, Gunstar Heroes, Light Crusader (one of the finest examples of an ARPG, ever), Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun (with copious amounts of credit feeding), Sin & Punishment: Hoshi no Keishousha (maybe the only reason I even still own an N64), Stretch Panic, and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. I've also played through most of Dynamite Headdy, Silhouette Mirage, and Gunstar Super Heroes. I own and have not played much/any of Mischief Makers, Bangai-O, Ikaruga, Dragon Drive: D-Masters Shot, Wario World, or Gradius V.

So, I think my main goal will be to play Ikaruga. I also might try to actually beat Dynamite Headdy, and possibly Silhouette Mirage. I could also throw some Gradius V in there. Unfortunately, I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho, or Alien Soldier, but I can play them on the Everdrive, so I might just do that as well. My admiration of Contra Hard Corps has been increasing almost daily, and I really want to find out if Alien Soldier could possibly surpass it.

Nemoide wrote:The boss that sticks out the most in my mind if a combination of a young flower-girl and a giant fish.

The one I tend to remember is the one on top of the moving car. (Was the whole stage on top of a moving car--?)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

pierrot wrote:I really want to find out if Alien Soldier could possibly surpass it.

If you adore Treasure style boss fights, maybe Alien Soldier could do that for you. Compared to Contra: Hard Corps, Alien Soldier barely has any normal "stages" at all. No, Alien Soldier is all about NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 BOSS RUSH ON FIRE!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Alien Soldier is fantastic. Your character's moveset is immense, and you are heavily encouraged (If not downright forced) to learn and take advantage of it to take out the bosses.

It feels like a 1v1 fighter that was made particularly for single-player mayhem, almost like a 2D Ninja Gaiden Black, except that it nearly melts your Genesis/MD. Alien Soldier is my personal favorite Treasure game, and is more than worth playing, despite its learning curve.

Also, this dev interview for Alien Soldier is a must read!

Since Ikaruga is probably their most popular and widely-available game, I figure its worth noting that the Easy mode here is actually worth playing. Mechanics change a bit for each mode, as well as stages available. Its not a "You suck" mode, but rather a solid starting point that will still provide a decent, but do-able 1cc challenge.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

That guy is nuts. Damn. Kind of sad to hear that it's so unfinished. I was on a bit of a mission to get all of the Treasure console games, a while back, and was really hoping to get Alien Soldier, but never quite did. Now I'm not sure if I'm glad I didn't spend $200 on an unfinished game, or sad I didn't get it for 50% of its current value. I would really like to take a look through the manual for the game, though. :(

I just realized that Alien Soldier would technically qualify for this months theme, too. Might need that extra time to git good.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

If you didn't know Alien Soldier was "unfinished", you never would think as such. It's not like you start playing the game and it suddenly goes black in the middle of a boss battle. Trust me, whether you like the game or not, there's enough content there for a full meal.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I didn't mean to suggest that it would necessarily feel unfinished, it's just sad to me when a creator isn't able to fully realize a vision. That's sort of the nature of a lot of technical projects, but it still sucks. Anyway, Suikoden III is basically unfinished, but it's also the best game in the series, so I'm not really worried about that aspect of Alien Soldier.