Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Join in on our classic gaming club!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Exhuminator wrote:Ivy the Kiwi? seemed pretty decent for a moment.

Glad you gave this one a try! My wife and I took turns playing through this when it came out, and we loved it. I agree that it is not a varied game, but I do think it pushes its one mechanic to nice lengths, at least towards the back half of the game. It only does one thing, but I thought it did that one thing well.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:My wife and I took turns playing through this when it came out, and we loved it. I agree that it is not a varied game

From a purely mechanical perspective, I can understand valuing Ivy the Kiwi?'s inherit challenge. The experience just needed more meat on its bones to hold my interest is all. But I don't think it's a "bad" game. There's a DS version of Ivy, and that version may work better for me someday, as it allows the pick up and play short sessions a game like this lends itself well to. Also I'm pretty sure Ivy was the first game to star a kiwi since The NewZealand Story, so there's that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I started up Conker's Bad Fur Day tonight. It's been pretty fun so far - the gameplay is a bit static and simple compared to the likes of Banjo-Kazooie but i've had a good time. The humour has been decent enough for the most part, and a lot of the incidental stuff has been funniest to me (like the way the scarecrow's sign says 'FECK OFF CROWS' and the way the cheese you can carry screams 'let me go' in a really stupid voice).

If anyone has played, I've just beaten the fight vs the Haybot.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:If anyone has played, I've just beaten the fight vs the Haybot.

That's one of the more interesting fights in the game. I played the Xbox remake version "Conker: Live & Reloaded" years ago. I remember it had really great graphics and a goofy sense of humor. That said, the game design itself was all over the place quality wise, I eventually quit playing after a few too many poorly designed sections in a row. But Conker himself is a good character and fun to hang out with.

-

I put a few more hours into NiGHTS on Wii last night. I reached the final boss, but I'm going to go back and beat some optional stages before finishing the game. I've come to really enjoy Journey of Dreams, it's certainly done a lot more for me than Klonoa did.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Inherit the Earth

This is a point and click adventure featuring anthropomorphic characters in a medieval-style setting. You control a party of three: a fox, wrongfully accused of a crime, an elk of the forest guard, and a board who made a mistake and now gets the shit detail of the Boar Guard. Your mission: find the stolen Orb of Storms before the next new moon.

I started off in the fair, having just lost in the final round of abouzzle game against one of the ratfolk. Once the plot is out of the way, I am then forced to begin my investigation in earnest. I start by questioning the fair goers, none of whom are friendly. At least not until I find a feline fortuneteller who gives me some advice and offers her bed for...you get the idea. Every now and again I find a sex joke written in that I was not expecting. But the important thing is that she suggests I check where the orb was taken from. I head to the sanctuary next.

Of course, nobody there likes me either. I find one rabbit's missing cup, and she barely says thank you before running off. Elara, the keeper of the orb, basically throws me out unless I prove who I am. So I head to the forest for an audience with the Forest King and get a golden apple.

On the way back, I make a few quick diversions, first to the boar castle where I learn my boar companion is a screw up. Next I visit a house on a mountainihntain with a dog astrologer. I will return to him later with a map and likely have to fix his telescope with a new lens at some point. From there, it is back to the sanctuary.

Elara accepts the golden apple and leaves, but I only find a pedestal and some bowls of incense. Nothing else jumps out to me, and I cannot interact with anything else. I leave and head your to a cave. There, I discovered the ratfolk. I trick the doorman by confusing him and sneak past. I have no idea if I am playing any of this in order, but I will investigate as necessary.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Hers an article for a Noise if he’s still thinking of playing Okami:

https://games.avclub.com/slow-down-for- ... 1828132244

Also...I played through Ivy the Kiwi some time ago. I remember it being OK, but the unvaried gameplay brought it down a bit.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Well, I finished Donkey Kong Country 3!

It's okay. I'd rank it about even with the second (though it's a very different game, design-wise), with both being significantly worse than the first.

Am I the only one who thinks there's way too many stages dedicated to hopping over bees? Good lord!

The Land games await, but I think I'm all monkeyed out for now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so I got an email from Play Asia saying that my Okami shipment has been delayed due to a typhoon over the weekend. (Today was the release date). So hopefully I won't have to wait too long. My plan is to focus totally on Okami from whenever it arrives until the end of the month.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Awesome. I love Okami, and I hope that you do too.

I started Ecco the Dolphin again today. This will be my fifth(!) serious attempt at this game. I respect it and want to love it, but I have now realized I will need help to get all the way through it. Accordingly, I will be shamelessly (or...shamefully?) relying on save states and walkthroughs to see the ending.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Did a quick run of Kangaroo for the Atari 2600. I seem to play this one every year.

It's a port of an early Sunsoft arcade game, and quite a competent one at that. Nice controls, decent moveset and level design. Anyone who likes single-screen platformers in the slightest should check this one out.