Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:I still don't necessarily find Crash to be cool

I've tried a lot of Crash games. The only one that was even half decent was Crash Team Racing. Albeit all of its good ideas were ripped right out of Mario Kart. Yeah I'm not a Crash fan.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

For what it's worth, I've played both Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3, and I never found the core games to be that hard. I even noticed in my Crash 1 review on this site that it was a bit too easy and I finished with over 80 lives.

However, when N.Sane Trilogy came out and everyone started talking up how hard the Crash games were, I got very confused. I don't consider myself an amazing gamer by any means, but I just couldn't see the challenge people were describing.

Having looked closer, I actually think the issue is due to physics changes in N.Sane trilogy. I think the original games had more lenient timing for jumping when leaving the edge of a platform, floatier, slower jumps and less rounded hitboxeson Crash so he was less prone to sliding off edges. In other words, I think it's actually an issue with how the remake has been done.

Also, whilst the platforming stages are fine, I personally though Crash 3 was pretty mediocre. Half the levels in the game are not platforming gameplay, and those gameplay styles are honestly done pretty badly.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Double post time!

I finished up Conker's Bad Fur Day today. Everything I've said up til now holds - I generally enjoyed myself, but the game is really hit and miss. Some of it's ideas are fun and some are not. Some of it's humour is funny, and some is not. Some of the game design is good, and some is not.

It's undoubtedly Rare's worst game for the system, although you could make an argument for Mickey's Speedway I guess. However, it's still decent. But it's biggest issue, for me, is that it's platforming is not that good, despite coming from the company that made Banjo-Kazooie. It's racing bit isn't that good, despite coming from the company that made Diddy Kong Racing. It's gunplay isn't that good, despite coming from the company that made Goldeneye and Jet Force Gemini. And some of the design decisions hark back to the worst of 80s and 90s European game design - lack of invincibility frames meaning one hit can often cause you to be juggled to death uncontrollably being a particularly unforgiveable one.

I don't want to sound negative on Conker because I did enjoy myself with it, but man, it's rare that I say it, but this game's reputation definitely seems to be based on it's shock value and not it's game design. I'd only hesitantly recommend it, especially for the high price tag. Play it on Rare Replay instead.
Ack

Post by Ack »

But Diddy Kong Racing sucked.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

There's still a bit of time left in the month, so I think I'll play one more game :) I'm planning on taking a look at Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak (GBA) because I've heard some good things about it. Also it is cute. I was disappointed with The Dog Island so I need something to fill my need for a cute game. Hopefully it is less disappointing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Played s'more Crash 3 last night but honestly... it's not really all that fun to me. I got to a level that had a time limit to run through it and I was 2 seconds over. It wasn't particularly hard or anything but just the whole concept of a time limit to run through a 3D platforming level rubbed me the wrong way and I just sort of rolled my eyes and shut the game off. So far I feel like my hunch that the Crash games weren't my thing over the years has probably been correct. I'm not finding the game compelling. I just don't seem to be having a good time with this.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I finally got caught up in the Games Beaten thread. I posted some final thoughts regarding my experience with Battletoads this month. It was a somewhat liberating experience to beat this game after so many years, but it's not necessarily something I'm looking to repeat at any point in the near (or even distant?) future. :mrgreen:

Thanks laurenhiya21 for a fun theme this month and for sharing some awesome artwork as well!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Late as always, I just started playing Ty the Tasmanian Tiger on the Xbox.

I was surprised to discover that it's a full blown collectathon game. I'd always assumed it was a "reach the end" sort, but then I'm not really sure why I thought that. The levels are smaller and the goals a bit easier than more famous games of its type (at least so far), but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's relaxing fun.

Camera (and movement, to a lesser extent) is taking some getting used to though. It's a bit jittery, and you can't change the sensitivity. Probably won't even notice after another hour playing though.

Also, the checkpoints are outhouses, so when you die, you respawn on the crapper with a sigh of relief. And yes, I do find that very amusing. :lol:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I actually participated in a Together Retro Month! YaY!!

I played Super Monkey Ball on the Nintendo Gamecube this afternoon.

It was cute, fun and rather short. Nothing too exciting, but it fit the category perfectly.

Here is my review about the game: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1136143#p1136143

Time to get started for my Month! :D
Last edited by Markies on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Put a lot more time in on Ty, and I've now completed 8 of the 9 main levels. There are more levels leading up the ending, but they don't appear to have any of the main collectibles. Currently sitting at 87% completion. I'll probably finish it tomorrow, though there are bonus items to find (pictures for a gallery) that I may go back and get. Haven't decided yet.

Honestly, having a blast. It certainly helps that I like games like this, but still, it's fun.

And really pretty too, I failed to mention that before. Some of the levels are less interesting, but others, particularly the rain forest areas, are gorgeous.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.