Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Post by noiseredux »

Update on progress: If anyone's interested in a copy of Crash Bandicoot collection for Switch, hit me up. :|
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I was hoping to beat three games for this TR, but I'm not gonna have time to do so before August runs out. So here's what I beat for this TR:

Klonoa (Wii / 2008)
NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams (Wii / 2007)

I did try a LOT of other theme-related games though. Over a dozen others at least. Unfortunately none of those stuck with me. I did have some fun with the 1991 Game Boy release Tail 'Gator however. I'd recommend it to anybody who enjoys Game Boy gaming.

Anyway, thanks for this month's TR theme Laurenhiya21. This theme certainly pushed me out of my comfort zone, and that's a good thing when it comes to gaming. See you all next month in Treasure land.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I've only knocked out two myself, sadly.

- Darkwing Duck
- Magical Quest 3

Both are solid games. I also briefly played Magical Quest 2 with a friend. I've never played the games co-op, so it was an interesting experience.

nullPointer wrote::shock:
Apparently all it took was a making frustration post here to get into the right mindset! Soon after previous post I was able to find my rhythm on Clinger Winger, and put it in the bag. On to the last level baby! And the last level was nowhere near as difficult/rage-inducing as the few levels that preceded it. In fact it was pretty cool! It takes place on a tall vertical spinning tower, with the catch being that for the most part running on the tower is what causes it to spin. I'll say this for BattleToads, it's quite impressive the types of tricks they were able to pull out of the NES! At the top of the top of the tower I fought the Dark Queen ... and it turns out she was a bit of a push over! :shock:

After literally decades of playing BattleToads on and off, I've finally beaten it! :shock:

I meant to mention it, but this may also very well be the only game I beat from my Summer Challenge list! And now ... I'm going to delve into a nice relaxing game for a bit to cool these frazzled nerves! :mrgreen:

Well done, sir. That game is absolutely ridiculous. I still love it, though.

So there's a trick on the Clinger-Winger level for the turns. I have done it legit, but if you really want to pick up time in the turns, you can hit pause when you come to the corner, shift to the upcoming direction, and unpause. Assuming you've got good timing on your pauses, you'll pick up a massive lead by the end.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:Update on progress: If anyone's interested in a copy of Crash Bandicoot collection for Switch, hit me up. :|

Yeah... Those games are terrible. Sorry brah.

I always thought "3D platformer" was a bit of an oxymoron. It's an inherently janky genre.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Update on progress: If anyone's interested in a copy of Crash Bandicoot collection for Switch, hit me up. :|

Yeah... Those games are terrible. Sorry brah.

I always thought "3D platformer" was a bit of an oxymoron. It's an inherently janky genre.

Agree to agree. It's not a genre I'm especially fond of.

Oh well, at least I can say I've given the games a shot now instead of just always assuming I wouldn't like them.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, but honestly Nintendo's about the only company that's produced high quality 3D platformers. As in functional cameras and controls that don't suck, not to mention game design worth playing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Finished Ty yesterday. I did go and collect every last thing, including the bonus gallery items. Had a scary time where I somehow managed to miss one item somewhere in the game (the items in question are the only ones not tracked by level, just the game total), but I managed to find it tonight with some diligence. So game complete.

Anyway, as I've said, I thought it was good. Have 2 & 3 on my shelves and plan to try those sometime soon.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Exhuminator wrote:I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, but honestly Nintendo's about the only company that's produced high quality 3D platformers. As in functional cameras and controls that don't suck, not to mention game design worth playing.

Oof! That's some arch condemnation of nearly a whole genre right there! Have you played the Ratchet and Clank titles (and/or do you consider them 3D platformers)? Admittedly I've only played the PS2 titles, but I'd put them among the higher echelons of quality 3D platformers. I'd say that the Sly Cooper games definitely have their moments as well. The Jak and Daxter games are occasionally ... problematic, but from a purely mechanical perspective they're pretty competent (and the mechanics improve as the series progresses). I'd even say that Daxter qualifies as one of the essential titles on PSP. ... OTOH I may also have a soft spot for platformers in general be they 2D or 3D, so take any/all of the above with a grain of salt.

And keeping in theme ...
Ratchet is a Lombax
Sly Cooper is (obviously) a Racoon
And Daxter is an Ottsel

:mrgreen:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

nullPointer wrote:Have you played the Ratchet and Clank titles (and/or do you consider them 3D platformers)? The Jak and Daxter games are occasionally ... problematic, but from a purely mechanical perspective they're pretty competent (and the mechanics improve as the series progresses). Sly Cooper

I've tried a lot of 3D platformers over the years, but I have not personally played any Ratchet/Clank, Jak/Daxter, or Sly Cooper 3D platformers. That is because those characters do not interest me in the slightest, ergo games starring them have zero appeal. I have watched videos of them being played though, and they don't seem any better than Mario Galaxy or Captain Toad. That said, I have played a 3D platformer not made by Nintendo, that was unexpectedly good. No one ever talks about it, but here it is:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Exhuminator wrote:I've tried a lot of 3D platformers over the years, but I have not personally played any Ratchet/Clank, Jak/Daxter, or Sly Cooper 3D platformers. That is because those characters do not interest me in the slightest, ergo games starring them have zero appeal. I have watched videos of them being played though, and they don't seem any better than Mario Galaxy or Captain Toad. That said, I have played a 3D platformer not made by Nintendo, that was unexpectedly good. No one ever talks about it, but here it is:
Well my interest is certainly peaked! Unfortunately I don't have an Xbox (of any variety) so I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to check out Scaler in the near future, but I'll certainly see what I can find on YouTube!

I know you're not huge on 'kiddie themed' games, but if you suddenly found yourself in the mood for a 3D platformer with an anthropomorphic bent, it's hard to go wrong with the Ratchet & Clank games. They would be my top recommendation of the series I mentioned. If you go in looking to find a host of traits in common with Mario, you won't necessarily find them other than in the most basic sense. Heck the first R&C isn't even a 'pure' platformer. It is a high quality game with platforming elements though, and it does an admirable job of capturing that feeling of an 'epic galaxy spanning light hearted space adventure'. Definitely worth your time if that sounds like the type of thing that might tickle your fancy IMO.