Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Join in on our classic gaming club!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

Post by pierrot »

Exhuminator wrote:Dying from heart loss isn't really a thing for me here, the enemies are easy to avoid.

Yeah, I thought I remembered there only being three health in the first game, like it's been in Klonoa 2, but I guess that's not actually the case. (I thought maybe it was a regional difference, but it's not. It's six health, regardless.) Visions 6-1 and 6-2 are much more difficult than anything else before it, though. I feel like the health made Visions 5-1 and 5-2 relatively more difficult, but the platforming difficulty exploded in the last two visions. At least in the Playstation version. The last couple bosses are also pretty challenging.

Exhuminator wrote:Klonoa 2 sounds pretty good. I do remember it reviewing well when it released.

It is. If you feel like you enjoyed the first game, I would highly recommend playing Klonoa 2, also. It's very similar to the first game, but there's a number of new aspects that make it feel like a very different, very exciting game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Count down to thoughts on Klonoa’s ending....5...4...3...2... :lol:

Exhuminator: Are you already past the part where:

Klonoa’s grandpa gets murdered? :lol: Talk about a change in tone!

Also...Klonoa 2 is very solid. I really should play the GBA games sometime.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

pierrot wrote:Visions 6-1 and 6-2 are much more difficult than anything else before it, though. I feel like the health made Visions 5-1 and 5-2 relatively more difficult, but the platforming difficulty exploded in the last two visions. The last couple bosses are also pretty challenging.

That sounds good to me, a little more challenge would be welcome here.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Count down to thoughts on Klonoa’s ending....5...4...3...2...

Yes I'm passed the grandpa part. That did seem a little disingenuous to the experience up until that point. I've heard the ending to Klonoa is something unexpected. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am just going to add this...Klonoa had pretty much the best video game magazine ad of all time. It still makes me chuckle.

(I’m having trouble with an image link. I’m sure each of you can find it!)
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Spoilered just in case people don't want to see possible E.V.O ToE spoilers.

Huh, apparently this game has bad endings you can hit during a playthrough.

I just evolved into a generic DQ Slime. It's little smile kills me :lol: These are also the first humans I've seen depicted in the game, since this ending is millions of years in the future.

Edit: Also, the manual for this game is immense (And translated!). There is so much story that you don't get to game instructions until page 30!
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Klonoa had pretty much the best video game magazine ad of all time.

I guess you're talking about this:
Those letter " i "s missing dots is NOT OKAY Namco.

-

Dunpeal I hope you continue your EVO fest and play the SNES sequel. It's good stuff. Just don't evolve into an upright humanoid triceratops. That didn't work out so well for me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The story for SNES E.V.O. is legit awesome. One of my favorites in all of gaming.

I remember E.V.O. being the very first game I downloaded when I discovered emulation as a teen. Couldn't find a cartridge back then, not that it's easy to find now!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I've been considering also playing the SNES game this month. I've played it before, far enough in to walk on land, but never ended up finishing it.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The story for SNES E.V.O. is legit awesome. One of my favorites in all of gaming.

I feel like with your combined liking of E.V.O. (SNES), old-school cg, and classic rpgs, you would probably enjoy this game a fair bit.

... I've made it to disc 4 now, on chapter 5. Became a T-Rex, meteor killed everything, and am now in process of becoming a human-like creature. (Right now I am a Gorgon, which has wings but still walks around.)

Sadly, I've come across a pretty nasty area, not due to its difficulty, because you can't fight the enemies here, and they instead just home in on you and start up a dialogue upon contact. The problem is, they are so fast that they quickly box you in, leaving you stuck in a dialogue-fueled nightmare so tense that you can't even get the menu open to reload a previous save.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Klonoa had pretty much the best video game magazine ad of all time.

I guess you're talking about this:
Those letter " i "s missing dots is NOT OKAY Namco.

Nope! I’m talking about:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rNaoepp
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Dunp, your posts in this thread are fascinating, keep em up.