July Together Retro Poll

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should we play for July's Together Retro?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:53 am

Atari 7800 Exclusives
14%
Nintendo Virtual Boy Exclusives
36%
Sega 32X Exclusives
29%
3DO Exclusives
7%
Atari Jaguar Exclusives
14%

Total votes: 42

crazythink4
8-bit

Re: July Together Retro Poll

Post by crazythink4 »

This is definitely an interesting theme. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit this round out.

My free time has been steadily declining and shows no signs of improving for the foreseeable future. It means that I've had to take a hard look at how I spend the time that I get. It pains me to admit it, I have some pretty embarrassing gaps in my retro gaming travelogue. No Zeldas past Majora's Mask, no Grand Theft Autos since III, no Final Fantasies since VII, no Metal Gear Solids or Personas past the originals, and those don't count various non-series games.

Especially with the no non-exclusives rule, it makes it hard to for me to focus on filling these gaps. Of all of them, the Virtual Boy option is the most appealing to me, but since I'm a Nintendo groupie, I would like to get the console and have my first few VBoy sessions on the actual hardware (and see for myself how bad the headache problem is). Hence, I'd like to avoid emulation for that one.

If time permits, I may play a related game, but it'll probably be a non-exclusive so I wouldn't discuss it here so as not to distract those who are properly participating. That said, I'm glad that there is a month for those who want to explore some of the less-traveled corners of this wonderful hobby.

(Not casting a vote because I don't think it's right to influence a vote I'm not participating in.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

crazythink4 wrote:(Not casting a vote because I don't think it's right to influence a vote I'm not participating in.)

I don't think it's wrong to vote even if you're not going to participate. You can still vote to see games you'd like to see played and written about. Vicariously playing games by reading other's experiences is one of my favorite aspects of TR.

This new TR format isn't a competition to see how many games one person can play per TR. It may seem that way sometimes (some of us, uh, go a little overboard perhaps). Even if you're just playing one related game per TR theme, that's still laudable participation. In addition, simply offering advice and opinions on what's being played is still valuable input.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

crazythink4 wrote:It pains me to admit it, I have some pretty embarrassing gaps in my retro gaming travelogue. No Zeldas past Majora's Mask, no Grand Theft Autos since III, no Final Fantasies since VII, no Metal Gear Solids or Personas past the originals, and those don't count various non-series games.

There are Zeldas past Majora's Mask?

I wouldn't worry about whether you join in, crazy. Heck, I didn't play anything for the Final Fantasy spin-offs month either, mainly because I'd played the only ones that interested me already. I still voted in the poll and read what folks were playing. You should give it a shot; vote on what you wish you could participate in and then read up on what folks find. You might uncover a game you never knew about or just have a good time reading folks thoughts on a title you've always been curious about.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Go 1990s Sega hardware! EXTREME 32-bit POWER!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

How much is hardware availability and emulation affecting people's choices here? 32X and VB are the easiest to emulate, and those two are winning. 3DO seems to have stumped many here. I use 4DO, for what it's worth.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:How much is hardware availability and emulation affecting people's choices here? 32X and VB are the easiest to emulate, and those two are winning. 3DO seems to have stumped many here. I use 4DO, for what it's worth.

I think in 3DO's case it's the lack of exclusives that seem fun.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

About half and half for me. I voted 32X and Virtual Boy. I own a 32X (and the complete library) but VB I'll have to emulate. I picked those two because I unashamedly love the the 32X and because I want to play Wario Land.

I have a 3DO and a Jag too, so I'd only otherwise have to emulate Atari if any of those three win.

MrPopo wrote:I think in 3DO's case it's the lack of exclusives that seem fun.

You already said so, but it's worth repeating: it's too bad Lucienne's Quest isn't an exclusive.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I own a 3DO but not the game I'd want to play. I also voted for the Jaguar, because it has one exclusive that interests me. I didn't expect my choices to do well, but I'm happy they at least appeared as options.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

People, the Virtual Boy exclusives are so much better than the 32x exclusives. Do the right thing
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Poll's ended, so I guess we're playing Virtual Boy games next month!

On my list are Teleroboxer, Vertical Force and Golf, which I think is a unique game and not a port.

What's everyone else going to play?