Join in on our classic gaming club!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

by Tanooki Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm tempted. There's a few season sale gog games I got around 6-9mo ago and stupidly never started them like that River City Underground game that would fit, but even seeing that lead off I always have time for Mighty Final Fight or another of that SNES trilogy too. Also given I have my arcade cabinet that opens up Mutation Nation and flat level beat em up Spin Master and Top Hunter plus some others on the 161in1 like Robo Army.

They're not hard to get into, if you can get started, and when you're in there just dropping fake quarters or hitting continue you can totally relax and let loose. It's kind of like a nice digital punching bag.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 pm

I didn't finish it, but S.P.Y. - Special Project Y is a sort of weird hybrid game from Konami that shifts from Space Harrier-style shooter to Contra Base level to belt-scrolling beat-'em-up to Shinobi-style vertical brawler segments... too bad none of these were terribly fun. I played to the end of the first loop, where the game trolls you and you have to play through again. I'm sorry, fifteen minutes was enough, thank you very much.

This does remind me, though, that someone should take on The Adventures of Bayou Billy. It's absolutely brutal, so of course I was dumb enough to make a run at it. It's also not terribly fun because of that; if you want to get a taste but actually be able to win without having an aneurysm, then play Mad City instead.
NotLuke
8-bit

by NotLuke Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Ack wrote:5. Twins - I have no idea on how to handle this fight.
Any thoughts, fellas?

Stand with your back to the twins. They will either back off or attack with a jump attack. Use your backwards attack when they attempt the jump attack and with okay timing (easiest with Blaze) you'll hit her every time.

I usually get my character all cozy in the bottom left corner and use the backwards attack repeatedly. It's a breeze.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44 pm

I will definitely try this strat the next time I play through. I'm sure it'll happen this month.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:04 am

I put two hours into Urban Reign tonight, and beat 21 missions out of 100. Even on Normal difficulty this game is straight brutal. I can't imagine it on Hard. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet... but holy shit this game is challenging.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:14 am

I highly recommend Armored Warriors (Powered Gear) and second Ack's recommendation of Battle Circuit. Both top tier Capcom brawlers with gorgeous sprite work and fun gimmicks.

I knocked out a credit feed run of Arabian Magic. It's pretty good, got some cool theming with genies for supermoves, a level set in a lamp and suitably and stereotypically dressed enemies in turbans wielding sabres. The final boss will probably drain the most credits, he's a real arse. There is an a way to block which is slightly unusual and each of the four selectable characters does feel different. Stuck with the big buff guy as he can charge his attack.

Cool game, very Taito even if it isn't as crazy as some of their other output.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 am

Exhuminator wrote:I put two hours into Urban Reign tonight, and beat 21 missions out of 100. Even on Normal difficulty this game is straight brutal. I can't imagine it on Hard. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet... but holy shit this game is challenging.

Okay, glad to know it wasn't just me thinking the game was tough back in the day. I know you're no gaming slouch, so I suspect if I dive back in, I'll be greeted with the same steep difficulty curve.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Sload Soap wrote:I knocked out a credit feed run of Arabian Magic. It's pretty good, got some cool theming with genies for supermoves, a level set in a lamp and suitably and stereotypically dressed enemies in turbans wielding sabres. The final boss will probably drain the most credits, he's a real arse. There is an a way to block which is slightly unusual and each of the four selectable characters does feel different. Stuck with the big buff guy as he can charge his attack.

Cool game, very Taito even if it isn't as crazy as some of their other output.

I highly recommend Taito's Dungeon Magic. Medieval RPG 'em ups are the best.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Sload Soap wrote:I highly recommend Armored Warriors (Powered Gear)

This one was already on my 2D list to try, so I'm glad to hear it's recommended. I love mechs so a mech beat 'em up sounds lovely.

Sarge wrote:I suspect if I dive back in, I'll be greeted with the same steep difficulty curve.

The difficulty is fairly sane until Mission 11: "The Proof". That's where all pretense of fairness disintegrates, and from then on this game just wants to beat the player to a bloody pulp. And that's on Normal!

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I highly recommend Taito's Dungeon Magic. Medieval RPG 'em ups are the best.

Agreed, and I'll second the Dungeon Magic recommendation. Good stuff.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Double Dragon II done!
I don't know if it was some weird problems with this Dotemu release on Steam or what but sometimes when pressing Punch the char would kick and so on.
It is a good game and certainly a worthy sequel to DD1.
I know the NES version is largely loved but how do you guys feel about the DD trilogy on Arcade?
Return to Together Retro