Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Xeogred wrote:Dude, have you played God Hand? I'd wager nothing in the 3D realm comes even close to its awesomeness.

I've played it before many years ago, not for very long. I plan for God Hand to be the last of the 3D beat 'em ups I play, before moving on to the 2D stuff. I've heard God Hand is hard even on Easy.

I don't plan to play on Easy.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 pm

It takes a good level or two to really click. The camera angle can be pretty awkward for awhile but you get used to it. I don't even remember an Easy option existing but it does have dynamic difficulty scaling in game (apparently Resident Evil 4 does too), but yeah don't let that fool you, no matter how good or bad you're doing, it's insane. Nothing else quite like it, saving it for last will be great. The OST is hilariously good too.

Just knocked out Captain Commando in an easy 34 minutes! Definitely showing a little age compared to C&D, noticeably with how easily enemies can gang up on you and knock you out of your own combos, animations, grabs, everything, very much like the first Final Fight. There were some bosses I don't think you could even get a full normal combo in without them interrupting. I still think I only sunk in about ~20 continues though so it was never too bad, the last boss was annoying though and like half those continues. Could barely touch him, maybe only really doable with multiple players. You can ride on some mecha throughout a few levels when they pop up, but they kind of sucked at crowd control haha. Kind of like the animals in Golden Axe or something.

Lots of good screenshots:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/arcade/ca ... creenshots

Really dug this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EHqELHvRHw

The Ninja guy was my favorite. Uses a sword and dismembers enemies (no women as always though haha). How could you not favor the NINJA!? The baby in a robot was funny but sucked and the mummy guy was wack. Captain Commando was cool.

Solid!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:01 pm

You're saying he can't dismember the ladies? I definitely remember there being some chick with electric sais or something. Unless Capcom censored in one of the regions like they did Final Fight on SNES.

EDIT: Captain America & The Avengers is done. Much like a lot of Data East's stuff, it feels not quite as good as the best of its contemporaries. It seemed to be going for a sort of TMNT feel, but has smaller sprites, and just overall doesn't feel quite as spectacular. It's not bad, though; you get four heroes (Cap, Iron Man, Vision, and Hawkeye), and they all have slightly different movesets, including an attack + jump move that doesn't actually steal your life. It just gives you a long-distance move (shield/arrow/lasers).

I got through under 20 quarters, so that works. I played pretty sloppy, too, as I tend to do with games I can credit-feed. I'd say it's... 5/10. Thoroughly average, but I always wanted to play through it because I remember it from an arcade visit back in the day.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Xeogred wrote:I don't even remember an Easy option existing but it does have dynamic difficulty scaling in game

Yep it exists:

"The in-game Level Meter ties in with the difficulty options that the player has when they first start the game. Easy mode keeps the Level Meter capped at Level 2. Normal starts the player at Level 1 and lets them go as high as Level DIE. Hard difficulty, unlocked by beating Normal, increases enemy health slightly and keeps the Level on DIE regardless of Gene receiving damage. While Normal keeps the Level meter open for all levels of difficulty, most high-level players will want to play the game on Hard to avoid maintaining the Level Meter and keeping it at the highest level possible. Grovel has no effect on Hard Mode."
( http://capcom.wikia.com/wiki/God_Hand )

I had a frenemy once who thought he was better at me at games. Over the years I have systematically done things in games he thought was impossible. He beat God Hand on Easy mode. He told me when he beat God Hand that Easy mode was insanely difficult, and he was afraid he was going to break his controller because it was so intense. I want to surpass his lame ass (albeit belatedly) and beat this game on Normal. That would be one slain of two white whales left.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:26 pm

What's the other?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Sarge wrote:You're saying he can't dismember the ladies? I definitely remember there being some chick with electric sais or something. Unless Capcom censored in one of the regions like they did Final Fight on SNES.

There were definitely some female enemies, the ones you mention and then some buffed up ladies. But yeah no gore with them haha. I played a EU rom though so I'm not sure if there's differences.

@Ex: Nice that certainly clears things up. Putting a cap on that scaling sounds so lame, haha. Not like I could ever keep it at DIE or the higher levels for very long but it was a really cool system with how flexible it was.

I *think* Vanquish maybe had this too but I'm not sure if it's totally confirmed. Seems like Shinji Mikami liked that idea for awhile.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:02 pm

noiseredux wrote:What's the other?

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Wii. He said it was impossibly hard. It made him so mad he pulled the disc out of his Wii, broke it, and threw it in the trash. He did the same thing with Shadow of the Colossus (he couldn't beat the sixteenth colossi). I thought SotC was easy. He also thought F-Zero GX was impossible, I beat it, etc.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:38 pm

I've played a few FE games and enjoyed them. Not that one tho.

I never found SotC hard either. It's pretty Zen really. Monster Hunter World is probably harder solo than SotC anyway.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Violent Storm is... odd. It clearly apes Final Fight rather heavily. In fact, the combat feels a lot like that game, and not like Konami's other brawlers. You get a few extra moves, though: there's a sliding down-attack as well as a dash that you can pull by pressing diagonally down and the jump button. Neither of these need health, which is awfully nice. Of course, you've also got your usual life-draining hit-all attack.

Visually, the game just does all sorts of zaniness. The actual graphics are just okay, but there's so many weird things going on here that the game almost feels like a giant parody of the beat-'em-up genre, and specifically the aforementioned Final Fight and Streets of Rage. I mean, there's an area that is suspiciously like the factory level in SoR, with the presses that flatten enemies into little pancakes this time. There's a goon that looks like he's got Ripley's power loader, with a jet pack to boot. There's a muscleman statue in the background that comes to life and you have to beat him up (he acts a lot like Super Macho Man from Punch-Out!!. And the last boss has a voice that sounds like a young child until he powers up to a massive, hulking dude, but when you beat him, he yells out for his mama. It's just so blasted goofy! All the while, you've got this sort of '50s/'60s rock soundtrack going in the background, almost Johnny B. Goode stuff, so it's pretty clear nothing here is meant to be taken seriously.

Also, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2nNg228Xg&list=PLAE97B9B3F54D6689&index=6

So '90s. :lol:

All in all, I think it's a fun game. I probably had about as much fun with it as I did with Final Fight, so I guess if you like that, check it out! 7/10.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 pm

Xeogred wrote:@Ack: Grabbed that one too... it looks wacky as heck haha.

It's awesome. I always main the killer plant, but all the characters are ridiculously fun to play.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Together Retro