Join in on our classic gaming club!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

by Xeogred Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes! "Tab" was what I was trying to remember.

I've listened to Cadillacs OST a ton, time to check the game out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Oh, dang, I missed the bit about MadWorld. I've got a serious case of the Mondays over here. I'm cool with it, Ex.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Sarge wrote:I'm cool with it, Ex.

Good deal! I'll add MadWorld to the queue then. It'll have to be after Urban Reign as I've already got that one setup to go tonight. I'm trying to decide if I dare give Breakdown another attempt as well. That game kicked my ass eleven years ago. :? Also found a PS3 beat 'em up (slash 'em up) in my library that's over ten years old. Lots of options, my gung-ho is still go.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 pm

DAMN! Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is ace! Beat it at 50 minutes on the dot. It never got too over the top either with the coin feeding, I probably used close to 20 continues but that's not too bad I'd say. One boss was this alien parasite that would take over hosts, did this three times which gave it huge boss health bars every time so that was annoying, you could beat up with the parasite as it hopped around when a host was defeated but I could never do enough damage to kill it early. 8 stages. And yeah, you get to put the sexy Cadillac to use as you drive through thugs in a scrolling desert level. The scenario is hilarious, something about a post apocalyptic Fist of the Northstar world with some dinosaurs around again for some reason and some crazy scientist trying to take over the world with them. Also, there's a lot of Blanka clones! It's based off a comic or something I think... I liked using the chick Hannah the most but all four characters were awesome. And the Haggar clone has a hilarious scream at the end of his combo.

The obvious major standout here aside from the fluid action and top notch graphics, is the insane OST. It's basically the Mega Man X sound font on steroids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ-4ShcGsC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fueISoJRhTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD6ZOdET7mM

Just listen to all of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elhtiEq ... -dTBATrevx

Might go for The Punisher next. Think that was Capcom's next arcade beat em' up in 1993 a few months later. But this will be very hard to top. It felt very close to the original Final Fight which I dug, but with four years to refine this formula, C&D felt sublime to play and controls perfectly.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm

I'll be honest, Breakdown destroyed me at the end, too. That last room is absolutely brutal. I battered against it many times, and I think I ended up downloading a save or something to get past that one particular section because it was so ridiculous. Or maybe I dropped the difficulty for that section. I really can't remember! I'm sure if I'd gone against it for like five more hours, I'd have made it... but sheesh.

Urban Reign is tough, too. I remember stopping at some point when I hit a brick wall boss. I don't know if I could handle it better now or not; I've had a lot more years of practice with the whole Dual Shock-era controllers and games that use practically every button. Come to think of it, I sure hope that wasn't the game where I lost my save...

@Xeogred: Yes, C&D is really great, and so is The Punisher. I think C&D probably uses the same engine as Captain Commando, so if you haven't played that, you'll enjoy it, too.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Sarge wrote:@Xeogred: Yes, C&D is really great, and so is The Punisher. I think C&D probably uses the same engine as Captain Commando, so if you haven't played that, you'll enjoy it, too.

Nice! The engine is a good way to put it, with how "good" this felt to me personally. So I'll have to check that one out too.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Just played Beat ‘Em and Eat ‘Em. Fun game but really I don’t know what else I can fit into this category for the month. It seems really narrow.

Oh, wait...Beat-‘Em-Ups

My mistake.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Those of you who are looking for stuff to play and can emulate CPS-2, now is a perfect time to go play Battle Circuit.

Trust me, this game is awesome.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:54 pm

ESauced wrote:Just played Beat ‘Em and Eat ‘Em. Fun game but really I don’t know what else I can fit into this category for the month.

Believe it or not, someone else already played Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em for a TR this year:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=52045&start=30#p1126022

Ack wrote:Those of you who are looking for stuff to play and can emulate CPS-2, now is a perfect time to go play Battle Circuit.

Cool. I added it to my beat 'em up queue. Right now I'm about 3D/polygonal beat 'em ups. But in the latter half of this month I'll hit up some 2D arcade classics.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Dude, have you played God Hand? I'd wager nothing in the 3D realm comes even close to its awesomeness. Really does feel a lot like a 3D take on Final Fight with near unlimited movesets/customization. Pretty damn hard too though, I thought it was tougher than any of the Devil May Cry's or whatnot.

@Ack: Grabbed that one too... it looks wacky as heck haha.
Return to Together Retro