Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Post by Exhuminator »

After tonight's session I've got about three and a half hours in Demon Stone, with seven levels cleared. I believe I only have three levels left. Unless there's a massive difficulty spike at the end, I might just have this one beat tomorrow evening.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Exhuminator wrote:There are a fair amount of Super Famicom beat 'em ups that never made it to the west. A few have been fan translated.

Anybody gonna play 3D (polygonal) beat 'em ups besides me?

\o, i'm thinking about firing up Fighting Force since it's been a while since i've played it and also SlashOut on Demul, besides that i'm going through all Double Dragon on Steam's Double Dragon Trilogy :D

EDIT:
Let's do it guys!!!!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Speaking of Double Dragon, has anyone seen the new plug & play?
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... me/5015419
marurun

Post by marurun »

The buttons are on the wrong side.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

marurun wrote:The buttons are on the wrong side.

nonsense!

the best 8-bit port of the game has this joystick:

marurun

Post by marurun »

The buttons are STILL on the wrong side.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Hell of a time guys, the fact that the first DD is so short makes it even more enjoyable as a compact and memorable experience.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Didn't know this years format has changed. Sounds really interesting.
I finally got a snes mini and i loaded it with some games. Started playing captain commando to see how i far i could reach... and i beat it on my first time. Fairly easy game for a beatem up but the bosses get a bit cheap on towards the end, like in your general beat'em up.

Then i played the king of dragons, i reached stage 10 with the ranger. i think i was pretty close to the last stage by the looks on the mini map.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

How's this for a "3D" brawler? ;)

Went through Crossed Swords on Neo Geo. This is a sort of first-person hack-and-slasher that emphasizes blocking and countering attacks. It's really tough, though, and I credit-fed so much. I love the idea, although I do wish there was more diversity in the move set. I'd say... 6/10. Fun for a bit, but it really wears out its welcome; I think it took me almost an hour and a half to get through it. That's crazy for a game of this type!

Still, maybe I would have gotten through faster if I'd used that flurry attack a bit more effectively. I didn't realize how good it was on some enemies until late in the game. Worth a shot if you want something very different.
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

Exhuminator wrote:Anybody gonna play 3D (polygonal) beat 'em ups besides me?

I was planning on tackling Viewtiful Joe for this month. (I think you and others were looking at it too.) However, this is more of a 2.5D game, so I doubt that's quite what you meant. :P

I'm fully expecting to have my butt handed to me by this game, since I'm not especially good at brawlers to begin with. However, my biggest pet peeve of brawlers, being ganged-upon and surrounded, doesn't seem to be a problem yet in the first level. Since it's an original console game and not an arcade game, it doesn't have the incentive to extract quarters from you'r wallet. I guess we'll see if this holds.

Interestingly, I didn't realize that this was Clover's first-released game. This actually makes me glad I chose it. :D