Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

by noiseredux Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 pm

It really did. I had plans for several other games but real life really got in the way this month. I am glad I gave Guardian Heroes a fair shake even if it only confirmed my initial dislike.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:51 am

Is Sengoku 3 on Wii U VC as well? I know you can't add any more credit for the Wii Virtual Console now, so blah. Definitely one of the biggest drawbacks of digital storefronts.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:21 am

Sarge wrote:Is Sengoku 3 on Wii U VC as well?

From what I can tell... no. But where there's a will (and a particularly tenacious modder such as yourself) there's a way. Or just MAME it?

-

Dsh if you're reading this, I'm wondering if you've made any God Hand progress? I'd like to know what you think of it so far.

-

As far as MAME beaters go I'm considering...

Gate of Doom
Robo Army
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Hook
Mutation Nation
Warriors of Fate
Metamorphic Force

No way I'll have time to finish all of them, even credit feeding as it were, before June's done. Are any of those turds I should outright avoid? (I know C&D isn't.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:Is Sengoku 3 on Wii U VC as well?

From what I can tell... no. But where there's a will (and a particularly tenacious modder such as yourself) there's a way. Or just MAME it?

-

Dsh if you're reading this, I'm wondering if you've made any God Hand progress? I'd like to know what you think of it so far.

-

As far as MAME beaters go I'm considering...

Gate of Doom
Robo Army
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Hook
Mutation Nation
Warriors of Fate
Metamorphic Force

No way I'll have time to finish all of them, even credit feeding as it were, before June's done. Are any of those turds I should outright avoid? (I know C&D isn't.)

Mutation Nation is somewhat barebones but very impressive technically and i think it's prettty short.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 am

Sarge wrote:Is Sengoku 3 on Wii U VC as well? I know you can't add any more credit for the Wii Virtual Console now, so blah. Definitely one of the biggest drawbacks of digital storefronts.

ACA NEOGEO on ps4/one got you covered if you have one of them, the 3 sengoku games were released there. 8)
I think GOG.com has Sengoku 3 as well, retty good UI too

Edit:
Got some free time today and knocked down Ninja Combat on M.A.M.E.
The game reminds me a lot of Sengoku 1 and 2 gameplay wise.
There are 3 more characters that can be unlocked as the game progress.
My only complaint about the game is that towards the end there's no human way to finish without feeding credits like CRAZY.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:18 pm

I played through Hook via MAME over my lunch break.

Hook is a 1992 arcade beat 'em up by Irem. (The arcade version is different than the home versions, which are platformers.) Hook is licensed after the 1991 Speilberg film of the same name. Peter Pan and his Lost Boys are off to kick all the pirates out of Neverland. They'll do this by beating the pirates' faces in. Players can choose from five different Lost Boys to play as, including Peter Pan of course. Up to two players can play at once. Gameplay is very standard fair beat 'em up, with an extra helping of environmental attacks, and a lighthearted sense of humor. The graphics consist of that love-it-or-hate-it detailed gritty style Irem was so fond of in the '90s, with decent sprite animation. (The OST is not good.) Controls are simple; you can attack, jump attack, grab and throw enemies, use projectiles and weapons, and of course have a special attack which uses player health to activate. You can also spank enemies when they are down. (Yes I spanked Captain Hook.) This beater starts off pretty fun, but it runs out of steam about halfway through. Towards the end I was really ready for it to be over with. However, if you're a big fan of the film, or Peter Pan in general, you may enjoy Hook a little more than I did. Ex's rating: 6/10
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Repetition is the main problem I have with the genre, but give me enough explosives and pits to throw enemies into and I'll be entertained for quite a while.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:12 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:Repetition is the main problem I have with the genre, but give me enough explosives and pits to throw enemies into and I'll be entertained for quite a while.

Hook does have a lot of explosives to work with. There's time-exploding barrels you can set off and bait enemies into. And impact-exploding cannon balls, which you can pick up and throw. Alas there's no pits to knock enemies into unfortunately.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 pm

I dunno if I even mentioned it but I went through Double Dragon (arcade, on Switch) the other night. This is a weird one for me. Objectively I recognize that it's well-made and I respect its legacy but gameplay-wise it starts to feel tedious very very fast. I almost universally hate Technōs' character designs too.

Gonna hit Ninja Combat tonight, and would like to get through Wizard Fire within the next few days. Will try to write detailed posts about them in Games Beaten before the month is over as well. Ambitious, but possible!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:42 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I dunno if I even mentioned it but I went through Double Dragon (arcade, on Switch) the other night. This is a weird one for me. Objectively I recognize that it's well-made and I respect its legacy but gameplay-wise it starts to feel tedious very very fast. I almost universally hate Technōs' character designs too.

Never, ever play Double Dragon III. It is horrid.
Return to Together Retro