Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 am

Alright then y'all. Should I attempt these?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 am

Yes!!!...even if only to see if they still work...or out of morbid curiosity...IMO, PC games didn’t really “get” action-oriented gameplay until people invented the FPS genre.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:30 am

That's not entirely true. Some very early action puzzle games were quite reaction-heavy, like Lode Runner and Boulderdash.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 pm

I do think that western devs were usually a step behind in the mid 80s-early 90s when it came to action games. Platformers also tended to have a different focus with more collecting and exploring. But there were exceptions like IK+, Mask III, Cyberdyne Warrior, Wings of Fury, Exile, Turrican 2, Gravity Force, Another World, D/Generation, Commander Keen 4-6 and Lemmings.

Another issue was how bad developers often handled the japanese console or arcade to PC ports. The Golden Axe PC port is good though and the Amiga had pretty good ports of it, Bad Dudes and Double Dragon 2-3.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
lordb0rb4
24-bit

by lordb0rb4 Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:32 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Alright then y'all. Should I attempt these?

I just loved this picture, post impressions ASAP!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yes!!!...even if only to see if they still work...or out of morbid curiosity...

Note only do they work but I also managed to scrounge up this (literal) beast:

I'm gonna have a run at these. Wish me luck.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:22 pm

I played through Dungeon Magic, the Taito arcade game, not the NES RPG (published by Taito, created by Natsume). It sports an interesting isometric view, but the combat system doesn't actually let you attack on the diagonals; it still plays like a belt-scroller. The hit detection feels a bit off to me at times, which impacts my enjoyment a bit.

You get to choose from four characters: the swordsman, a bigger dude that punches things (and sometimes slashes), an elf girl that kicks stuff (and does a flipping leg slam, ouch!), and a wizard. All of them have a somewhat standard assortment of moves: a dashing attack, a normal combo, the ability to grab and punch or throw enemies, and unique supers. They also have the ability to charge up attacks. Each character also does something different in that case. For instance, the elf shoots a bow, and a much more powerful charged bow attack when charged to the maximum. The wizard can shoot a fireball, or let loose an area attack when fully charged. The puncher will actually pull out his sword for a large slash, and it sends out a shockwave at maximum. This adds a little bit of character to the game, along with the solid sprite work.

Once again, though, brawlers can have interesting mechanics, but miss the "feel" to elevate it, and I think the iffy hit detection just drags the game down too much, despite all the interesting things going on here (including a rudimentary leveling system and weapon upgrades). I'd say the game gets a 6/10 from me. A little better than average because of the presentation, but really lacking that extra oomph to elevate it to a genre great.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 pm

I like Dungeon Magic but I think it was a tad too long, and had some "non-linear" exploration elements that just didn't work.

Well, I tried my trio of C64 beat 'em up ports. And they suck. Completely crippled by the one-button control scheme. Take Double Dragon. To punch, hit the attack button while standing still. To kick, hit the attack button while moving left or right. To jump, hit the attack button while holding up on the joystick. Oh, and Kung-Fu... The space bar is used to toggle between punches and kicks (the game is otherwise played with a joystick). Ahhhh!!!!! I love the C64 but it did not get the greatest arcade ports.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Played Sengoku 2 tonight; this one is a big improvement over the original.

The gameplay makes a lot more sense while the story is still completely over the top wackadoo with plenty of SNK-coolness. My favorite change is that the default character now has a sword, so you don't feel totally helpless without powerups or untransformed. I actually LIKED playing as the main guy through the bulk of the game. Playing it on the Wii Virtual Console only gives me 3 continues, so I couldn't just credit feed to the ending (even on Easy). But I could make a save and start off on the final stage again. We'll see if I manage to beat it by the end of the month. I didn't even get to the final boss, but I SUSPECT I was close.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Nemoide wrote:Playing it on the Wii Virtual Console only gives me 3 continues, so I couldn't just credit feed to the ending (even on Easy). But I could make a save and start off on the final stage again. We'll see if I manage to beat it by the end of the month.

If you don't run out of time, Sengoku 3 also came to Wii virtual console: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/d ... B4umUBss3E

-

I will be hitting up a few MAME beaters over the next few days. Gonna see if I can sucker my daughter into co-op'ing them with me. June's almost over already! :| This month flew by.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro