Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Post by Exhuminator »

ENGLISH TEAR.

So many different meanings could be interpreted.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Exhuminator wrote:2001's The Bouncer on PS2. Yep, that long forgotten SquareSoft launch title. This beat 'em up barely takes longer than an hour to finish. It was OK, but nothing to get excited about. (Unless you get excited over horrible character designs.) Review here.

Man, I always wanted to play The Bouncer. The people that did that game also worked on FFX-2 and I really enjoyed that game.

For me, the only game I have to play is Double Dragon on the NES. It fits perfectly, but damn is that game hard. I really don't know if I want to sink my teeth into that one this month. I will do my best to get motivated for it, but I shall see.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I wouldn't be ashamed to use save states on Double Dragon NES. I agree with you, that game is tough enough, but the platforming is what really gets you.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

While reading this thread, you must have this BGM running in another tab!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lp0GJNTRV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGJGOv8HS5c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrf-WxRsgs

2 is my personal GOAT of the genre, though I love 3's faster fluidity and movesets.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I remember beating the NES Double Dragon many times in the 7th grade. In my halcyon memory it's not a hard game! But you know... enough free time can grind any mountain down to a molehill. I might go back and give NES DD a play this month, likely it'll kick my teeth in. My initial list of beat 'em ups are all sixth gen releases however. I'll likely save the truly oldschool stuff for the end of June.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I just went through Double Dragon on NES. Actually, I didn't use save states until the last mission, and I used that at the brick wall. I used to have the pattern down to get through every single time unscathed, but I have forgotten it. I experimented a bit and think I found something that works well, although it makes things a lot closer than I like on the second wall. (Tight timing, and I have to throw a jump in for good measure.)

Beyond that, as long as I can get to the end with a spare life, I'm usually good. Cheese all the idiot enemies (jump kicks on the Abobos), only get Willy on the diagonals (although you have to be careful, that jumping roundhouse will get you killed!), and you're probably hurting by now, which is where the extra life comes into play. And now that I know the block wall pattern, I should be able to consistently beat the game from here on out... until I forget the pattern again, ha!

EDIT: And Double Dragon II: The Revenge for NES is done again. I've beaten this game a ton of times, but this was easily one of my worst runs in recent memory. Ugh. I did use some save states this time, too. Didn't think I would need them, honestly, as I got through to the final boss with what would have been two lives. That's almost always enough. He then proceeded to kick me in the teeth. I restored state, which actually took me back to Stage 7, did the sequence again, got there with more lives, and just got him. That I played so poorly is probably a sign I need to go do something else. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:I remember beating the NES Double Dragon many times in the 7th grade. In my halcyon memory it's not a hard game! But you know... enough free time can grind any mountain down to a molehill. I might go back and give NES DD a play this month, likely it'll kick my teeth in. My initial list of beat 'em ups are all sixth gen releases however. I'll likely save the truly oldschool stuff for the end of June.

It's really not too bad other than the stupid section with the wall that hits you with bricks at the start of the final level. The second from last fight is also kinda tough sometimes.#

For this TR I'll be playing through Alien Storm on Mega Drive for sure.

I'm also trying to acquire Guardian Heroes Advance to play too, but it's stupidly pricy on UK eBay right now for no good reason (it's normally about £10-15).

Maybe we can get a racketboy crew together one weekend to stomp through some online multiplayer? I have Dungeons & Dragons on Wii U I could play with people.
Ack

Post by Ack »

In preparation, I played a good chunk of Streets of Rage last night, followed by the first level of Streets of Rage 2. The difference between the two is night and day, and I definitely prefer how SoR2 feels compared to the first, which just feels... rudimentary by comparison. That said, I am still interested in getting to know more about the original, so I figured I'd take some time to bring up boss strategies. Some of them I figured out while playing. Others I figured out while getting my butt kicked. And still others I'm simply not sure. So, if you know SoR pretty well, perhaps you can help me become a better player.

1. Boomerang Guy - You can jumpkick him to death.
2. Claw Guy - Get above him. He only hits what is lower than him on the screen.
3. Rusher - Get off line as he charges and then pummel him as he recovers. You might be able to catch him with jumpkicks too.
4. Fat Guy - This guy gives me trouble. From what I have gathered, I have to get behind him and catch him with a punch when he passes, but I cannot throw him.
5. Twins - I have no idea on how to handle this fight.

Any thoughts, fellas?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ack wrote:In preparation, I played a good chunk of Streets of Rage last night, followed by the first level of Streets of Rage 2. The difference between the two is night and day, and I definitely prefer how SoR2 feels compared to the first, which just feels... rudimentary by comparison. That said, I am still interested in getting to know more about the original, so I figured I'd take some time to bring up boss strategies. Some of them I figured out while playing. Others I figured out while getting my butt kicked. And still others I'm simply not sure. So, if you know SoR pretty well, perhaps you can help me become a better player.

1. Boomerang Guy - You can jumpkick him to death.
2. Claw Guy - Get above him. He only hits what is lower than him on the screen.
3. Rusher - Get off line as he charges and then pummel him as he recovers. You might be able to catch him with jumpkicks too.
4. Fat Guy - This guy gives me trouble. From what I have gathered, I have to get behind him and catch him with a punch when he passes, but I cannot throw him.
5. Twins - I have no idea on how to handle this fight.

Any thoughts, fellas?

Fat guys are the worst in my opinion. The twins are a pain but I've found that it can be very effective to get into a corner and spam your backwards attack (attack & jump at the same time) as they have a tendency to run right into it. Otherwise your best bet is to move up and down a lot and try to grab them from behind for the slam move, which does a lot of damage. After they do the flying kick they can be quite vulnerable to being grabbed. Dont use your throw from the front (back & attack when you grab them from the front) as they always land on their feet from it.

Would be curious if anyone has any better tactics for the fat guys, as they always tend to take a few lives off of me.

As for claw guy, be sure not to jump kick him as he tends to do a dodge and slash move - but your throw (when holding them from the front) is good against him.

Your strategies for the others pretty much matches mine.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I should note, I was playing as Alan Hunter when I was trying out the game, which I know means I was the slow power hitter. I don't know if strategies change at all based on the character.

Some little things that irk me: is there a dash? I felt really slow. Also, enemies have a small amount of knockback when punched, so once I got a hang of Alan's range, I often found I would punch enemies right out of range, which would leave me open. Is there a preferred character to try?