Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Post by Xeogred »

I'm probably tapping out too, here's my list!

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade)
Captain Commando (Arcade)
The Punisher (Arcade)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade)
Golden Axe (Arcade)
Undercover Cops (Arcade)
X-Men (Arcade)
Double Dragon (Arcade)
Final Fight* (Arcade)
Battletoads* (Arcade)
TMNT III: The Manhattan Project* (NES)

Had a blast...

My favorite one I played for something that wasn't a replay, would be... EASY!

PLAY ALL

CAPGOD

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Nicely done guys. My goal was just one game though I had considered a few others. Still I'm glad to have at least ran through GH this month. It's still been fun to read this month.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'm hoping to squeeze out a few more games before the month is up. Even if that does't happen, though, this TR month has been a blast, and I enjoyed Battle Circuit so much that I've been working on a possible 1cc attempt (Never tried this for Beat 'Em Ups!).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:My goal was just one game though I had considered a few others.

I think even just beating one game per TR is admirable. That's still active participation and investing in retro communion. That said, I'm going to be cutting back in upcoming TRs. My goal now is to beat 1 - 3 games per TR. I enjoy chasing down fitting titles and playing lots of them, but I'm running out of time for my normal gaming in doing so. Gotta strike a better balance.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

My goal is generally one game per TR granted I have access to an applicable game. Now with the Switch along with Xbox One that possibility certainly grows. I'm bummed that I didn't get the dungeon crawlers month under control but the eBay seller took so long to ship that I ended up discouraged with such limited time for Morrowind. But future months should be more promising.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Man...Vigilante (TG16) is rough...and not in a good, challenging way, nor even in a cool and gritty way. Just in a poor hit detection sort of way. Kung Fu (NES) and Kung Fu Master (GB) are way, way better.

Double Dragon III (Arcade) is also pretty terrible, and I am once again stuck trying to 1CC the last level in a game designed to eat your credits. I have not been that impressed with Gekido (GBA) either, it has amazing, Neo Geo-level graphics, but the gameplay is very ho-hum. I have resolved to beat all of them, however, and to finish the month strong.

I ended up participating this month way more than I thought I would. I don’t even like this genre that much, but I guess the fact that most of the classic games in the genre are relatively short really appealed to me. The highlight was definitely Mighty Final Fight (NES). I love that game now.

I also think I have been inspired to play through all of the games in the Double Dragon series. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Double Dragon (Arcade)
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arcade)
Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (Arcade)
Double Dragon (NES)
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES)
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (NES)
Double Dragon (GB)

Super Double Dragon (SNES)
Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (SNES)
Double Dragon (NEO GEO)

Double Dragon Advance (GBA)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragon (Xbox 360)
Double Dragon IV (iOS)

(I haven’t yet beaten the games in bold.) Would this cover the series? Is there any reason I should add the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis ports? What about the games, like Double Dragon II (GB) and Double Dragon (Game Gear), that are just re-skinned versions of games from other franchises? Should I add the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Double Dragon II GB is a Kunio game reskinned.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Played through Wizard Fire. I liked it well enough, but it might be stretching the "beat-'em-up" definition a bit; it feels more like Gauntlet in a lot of ways. It also felt like it shared a lot in common with Dungeon Magic, which of course also serves the role of "isometric fantasy-based brawler". I think I liked this one better, though, which feels a bit strange to say; I've always seen Data East as a solidly B-tier developer, but they surprised me here. I'll give it a 6.5.

Also, speaking of Dungeon Magic, it apparently got run at SGDQ this year.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:Double Dragon II GB is a Kunio game reskinned.

This is true, which is why I didn’t add it to the list. Apparently, Double Dragon for the Game Gear is a reskinned Streets of Rage game, which is why I now really want to play it, but didn’t add it to the list either.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Double Dragon II GB is a Kunio game reskinned.

This is true, which is why I didn’t add it to the list. Apparently, Double Dragon for the Game Gear is a reskinned Streets of Rage game, which is why I now really want to play it, but didn’t add it to the list either.

I misread your original post - haha. I thought you were ASKING if it was a reskin. Sorry.