Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:But we all have different tastes!

Not me! I also adore Guardian Heores and think God Hand is juvenile garbage.

That said, I think Gunstar Heroes is also pretty great; so...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I think Treasure makes amazing looking games that are brilliantly designed and optimized to do as much with the hardware us capable of. But I don't really love playing most of their games.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And is God Hand a polarizing game?

It seems you either love it or you hate it. IGN gave it a 3/10.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:God Hand is juvenile garbage.

I can understand if someone didn't appreciate God Hand's raunchy sense of humor. But I don't think there's anything garbage about God Hand's mechanical design, nor its sense of challenge.

noiseredux wrote:I think Treasure makes amazing looking games that are brilliantly designed and optimized to do as much with the hardware us capable of. But I don't really love playing most of their games.

I appreciate Treasure's unceasing sense of innovation and creativity. But I haven't played many Treasure games that I absolutely loved. I do adore Alien Soldier though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I like a lot of Treasure's output, but yeah, sometimes what they try just doesn't work.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:A fun fact about God Hand I only recently discovered is that the English voice track is the original voice track. The game has no Japanese vocals. The Japanese version just has Japanese subs over the same English dialogue present in the Western release. It definitely came off as weird to me to find out, but it's also fairly fitting, in a way :lol:

Not surprising actually in a way haha, Capcom just seems to default a lot of their games to English for all regions, I'm not even sure if Japanese voice overs exist for Devil May Cry and the Resident Evil series. Maybe somewhere... but I know for a fact many installments in both of those are purely English (which originally made getting physical copies of some Japanese HD ports a valuable thing when they were digital only over here. I have a Japanese copy of RE HD on PS3 and a copy of DMC4 SE for PS4... but then of course these all finally got US physical releases or RE got ported again to PS4 haha. Ah well, love region free consoles and having some imports!)

The Onimusha games did have Japanese tracks though... fittingly so.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Sarge wrote:I like a lot of Treasure's output, but yeah, sometimes what they try just doesn't work.

They seem to be if anything, polarizing. Dynamite Headdy is my favorite games of theirs, and it's also my favorite Mega Drive game :mrgreen:
Something about it just really clicks with me mechanically, what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:And is God Hand a polarizing game?

It seems you either love it or you hate it. IGN gave it a 3/10.

It's genuinely a review looking up to read, if you've played the game, because of how genuinely terrible a review it is. They call it things like a "tedious button masher" with little "strategy" and very "generic" enemies and uninspired design. It reads like they never even played it past the first 10 or 15 minutes :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I like the Japanese release of Headdy; the US version is really, really tough.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:They call it things like a "tedious button masher" with little "strategy" and very "generic" enemies and uninspired design.

Yeah that's a crock of lies. Not even remotely true. I'm betting the reviewer had his ass handed to him repeatedly on the first stage, and then wrote a baneful review out of spite.

-

And speaking of God Hand, I made some progress tonight. I've finished the first three areas, and have reached the fourth. The boss of the third area was very entertaining. (It's not the gorilla.) God Hand has made me laugh, rage, and say WTF fairly often. I appreciate when a game can elicit actual emotion from me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so I played the first level of Guardian Heroes last night. It was pretty much what I remembered... great looking game but not super fun to play. I find the planes thing to be pretty awkward. And I don't know. It just doesn't seem to gel with me. I'll try to push myself to complete it just to say that I have since I didn't bother to do so last time I gave it a go. What is it, like a couple of hours-ish?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I finished Thor: God of Thunder for the DS finally...the last couple bosses of the game are a significant step up in challenge (although neither is ultimately that hard), but it is a very enjoyable Beat Em Up that I’d recommend for anyone looking for something in the genre on the DS. It

I hope to dive into God Hand some today...