Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Man...Vigilante (TG16) is rough...and not in a good, challenging way, nor even in a cool and gritty way. Just in a poor hit detection sort of way. Kung Fu (NES) and Kung Fu Master (GB) are way, way better.

Double Dragon III (Arcade) is also pretty terrible, and I am once again stuck trying to 1CC the last level in a game designed to eat your credits. I have not been that impressed with Gekido (GBA) either, it has amazing, Neo Geo-level graphics, but the gameplay is very ho-hum. I have resolved to beat all of them, however, and to finish the month strong.

I ended up participating this month way more than I thought I would. I don’t even like this genre that much, but I guess the fact that most of the classic games in the genre are relatively short really appealed to me. The highlight was definitely Mighty Final Fight (NES). I love that game now.

I also think I have been inspired to play through all of the games in the Double Dragon series. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Double Dragon (Arcade)
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arcade)
Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (Arcade)
Double Dragon (NES)
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES)
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (NES)
Double Dragon (GB)

Super Double Dragon (SNES)
Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (SNES)
Double Dragon (NEO GEO)

Double Dragon Advance (GBA)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragon (Xbox 360)
Double Dragon IV (iOS)

(I haven’t yet beaten the games in bold.) Would this cover the series? Is there any reason I should add the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis ports? What about the games, like Double Dragon II (GB) and Double Dragon (Game Gear), that are just re-skinned versions of games from other franchises? Should I add the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon?

There's also Battletoads & Double Dragon games too, if those are something you'd want to play.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I beat Robo Army the other night. It's an early-ish SNK beat em'up where you play as a cyborg who has to kick the mechanized piss out of other cyborgs to stop a guy turning all humans into cyborgs. Cyborgs were a pretty big deal back in 1991.

It's slightly better than okay but it isn't mind blowing. There's only six stages and the final one is a just a corridor with previous bosses lined up for a re-pummeling. It's got this gimmick where you get a six shot supermove but the twist is the first two shots clear the screen, then the next two are powerful projectiles and the final two are two melee blasts. It's okay and slightly better than some of the other stuff around at the time, but not by much. The enemies are also pretty samey and the backgrounds a bit muted which is disappointing. One thing I don't expect from a SNK game is a muted colour palette. It does play well though and is fun while it lasts. It was a credit feed run both times but it isn't a horribly difficult game so if you want an easier beat em'up it's worth a look. I played the Hamster rerelease on Xbox One so you get the usual options to add scan lines and change the screen size, etc, standard stuff.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Welp, it's the last day of this TR. That means I need to slip in at least one more game...

...and it's Armored Warriors. Some of the game feels like it has a lot in common with Alien vs. Predator, but unlike the stiff nature of that game, AW plays quite loosely. In fact, you move so fast that lining up hits can be very tricky. That might be the only reason I nick a half point off my score, and give it a 7.5/10. I also think the parts system, where you can steal arms and legs, both contributes to different styles, but also robs each character of their individuality as well.

Still, if you want a blisteringly-paced brawler, definitely give this one a go. You don't even have to like mechs to like this game, and if mechs make you think "slow", well, this definitely isn't!

And another one! I've never even heard of this one, but it popped up on World of Longplays: Zero Team. The game feels a bit like perhaps Final Fight crossed with Crime Fighters; the sprites are a bit smaller, and the combat feels pretty chunky (in a good way). There's not a ton of moves; you get your usual grab and knee or throw, a combo punch, and a clear-out attack. You can also hold up or down to modify your combo and send your player airborne. That ends up being useful to take you out of the range of enemies.

Characters feel somewhat different, although not enough to make it completely worthwhile. The girl's combo seemed the best, as she leaps airborne and then blasts enemies back down to the ground, and it takes off big chunks of life. The girl also plays the part of significant sex appeal, more so than usual. Oh, and the enemies explode into fiery, meaty gibs when you kill them. It's all rather bonkers, honestly. I'll give this one a 7/10.

Dang, knew I'd seen Seibu Kaihatsu's name somewhere. They're the devs of Raiden.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Alright, it's all done! Thanks, everyone, for participating! It's been a blast!

The stuff I got to this month:

57) Double Dragon (ARC) (8.0) (5/31) (~0.25 hours)
58) Double Dragon (NES) (8.0) (5/31) (0.5 hours)
59) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (9.0) (5/31) (0.7 hours)
60) Final Fight (ARC) (7.0) (5/31) (0.5 hours)
61) Double Dragon III (NES) (7.0) (6/1) (0.5 hours)
62) Dragon Knife (NES) (3.0) (6/1) (1 hour)
63) Crossed Swords (NG) (6.0) (6/3) (1.5 hours)
64) Captain America and The Avengers (ARC) (5.0) (6/4) (0.5 hours)
65) Violent Storm (ARC) (7.0) (6/4) (0.75 hours)
66) Double Dragon II (ARC) (7.5) (6/5) (0.5 hours)
67) Urban Reign (PS2) (7.0) (6/9) (13.5 hours)
69) Double Dragon Advance (GBA) (9.0) (6/11) (1 hour)
70) Bucky O'Hare (ARC) (6.0) (6/12) (0.75 hours)
71) Alien vs. Predator (ARC) (7.0) (6/14) (1 hour)
72) Gaia Crusaders (ARC) (6.5) (6/19) (1 hour)
73) Gaiapolis (ARC) (7.0) (6/20) (1.75 hours)
74) Gaiapolis (NES) (4.5) (6/21) (0.75 hours)
75) Streets of Rage (GEN) (9.0) (6/22) (0.75 hours)
77) King of Dragons (ARC) (via PSP) (9.0) (6/24) (0.85 hours)
78) Dungeon Magic (ARC) (6.0) (6/25) (1 hour)
79) Knights of the Round (ARC) (via PSP) (8.5) (6/26) (0.75 hours)
80) Wizard Fire (ARC) (6.5) (6/27) (0.7 hours)
81) Armored Warriors (ARC) (7.5) (6/30) (0.9 hours)
82) Zero Team (ARC) (7.0) (6/30) (0.75 hours)

Yikes, that's 24 games! I'm definitely the most proud of Urban Reign. Anyone that really wants a challenge, go play it.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

IS ZERO TEAM PLAYABLE ON MAME?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, it's actually Zero Team 2000, I used the wrong version describing it. I don't know what changes there are between the original and the 2000 release. I think the ones that work currently are New Zero Team and this one.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I'm definitely the most proud of Urban Reign. Anyone that really wants a challenge, go play it.

The only two who could handle it already did.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:I'm definitely the most proud of Urban Reign. Anyone that really wants a challenge, go play it.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Sarge wrote:Well, it's actually Zero Team 2000, I used the wrong version describing it. I don't know what changes there are between the original and the 2000 release. I think the ones that work currently are New Zero Team and this one.

They're all technically the same game, but with changes to the level order and title screen to reflect each's name. The actual PCBs vary as well, with different qualities of parts being reported. I believe I have ZT2K, and it's definitely harder/worse due to level order and sound quality.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:

Certainly the only two who would WANT to ;)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.