Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

by Sarge Mon May 28, 2018 8:13 pm

Ah, thanks for that. I'd not given Eye of the Beholder much time, and only with the Sega CD version to give it a test. Didn't realize that it was the same team.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 29, 2018 2:18 am

The past week I've been busy with other things, but I managed two sessions with Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken Land this weekend. I currently have 27 hours logged. On my return trip to the 6th level "Moldy Fort" I was hit with a random boss encounter that nearly killed my entire party (one character made it out alive). The boss was a greater demon...

After going back to town, resurrecting everyone, and making my way all the way back through the 6th level, I then made it past the 7th level (just called "Labyrinth" which is a randomly generated level) and to the 8th level called "Sham Sanctuary"...

Immediately upon entering Sham Sanctuary I was hit with a boss, the Flesh Golem:

This bastard has a random chance to kill with each strike, and he does four strikes per attack. And he had two priests with him to boot, who loved casting debuffing spells on the party. Once again we only just barely beat the golem and its priests, luckily my priest survived. So she resurrected everyone and we started exploring Sham Sanctuary. This place is a maze consisting of one way doors and warp portals. Oh yeah, the good stuff. :| All of the enemies are hugely powerful too. Still haven't found a shortcut from level 1 to this level either. Every time I trudge back to the Sham Sanctuary, it's level 1 -> level 5 -> level 6 -> level 7 -> level 8. That trip takes about a half hour to make, providing level 7's random generation isn't too asinine.

It's safe to say that not only is W:TotFL's kid's gloves long gone, but they've been replaced with Satere-Mawe bullet ant mitts and I'm wearing them! Indeed W:TotFL is proving itself to be quite the spiteful ride. I still plan to beat this game, but beating it before June is likely improbable. I plan to play it every night this week until next TR starts. Then I'll take a break and play some beat 'em ups. If anybody's looking for a challenging PS2 RPG, this is your huckleberry.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue May 29, 2018 3:01 pm

A shame I can't play with you guys, I'm loving to read your posts. I'm cheering for you Exhuminator!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Wizardry: TotFL really sounds like a great (and difficult) experience. I'm definitely going to keep it in mind when I'm looking for more FPDCs.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Erik_Twice wrote:I'm cheering for you Exhuminator!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Nemoide wrote:Wizardry: TotFL really sounds like a great (and difficult) experience. I'm definitely going to keep it in mind when I'm looking for more FPDCs.

I'd definitely recommend it to you. Here's ten minutes of early gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve8scxL6ySA

That part is from the very beginning of the labyrinth, when the game still enjoys the player's company.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Aight, so I've explored a tiny bit of the top floor of Shining's labyrinth. I'm overleveled (as I always am) so I'm just pummeling everything that lies in my path. Still have a bunch of exploration and "stuff" to do before I finish. Checked a walkthrough (oh dear!) to see how close I am to the end -- frustratingly, I don't think I'll finish the game before the month ends, but I'll probably finish June 2nd or 3rd or so. So close!

Best character: Pyra. She's also in Time Stalkers, the Dreamcast game. I love gaming crossovers.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 am

I’ve been playing a lot of Skyrim VR this month and hope to finish the main campaign today. Unless you really dislike an open world design, it would be hard to argue that, even seven years after its first release, Skyrim isn’t still the best First Person WRPG/Dungeon Crawler ever made...

Edit: Campaign complete!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am

dsheinem wrote:it would be hard to argue that, even seven years after its first release, Skyrim isn’t still the best First Person WRPG/Dungeon Crawler ever made

I would argue that honor goes to King's Field III. Though I'll admit playing a seven year old AAA RPG via an upgraded PlayStation 4 port using a virtual reality headset does sound like quite the retro gaming experience.

-

Unfortunately I didn't get to play any W:TotFL last night. Ended up having to burn some midnight oil for my day job. Hopefully tonight will go more smoothly.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed May 30, 2018 11:10 am

I made a bit of progress in STHA before real life got in the way but I very much doubt I'll be able to beat it in the next two days. Will have to run into next months TR.

Made it to Eastern Town which is just a town full of ninja. Kid ninja, lady ninja, old man ninja, ninja putting out the bins, it's all ninja. The preceeding area was a bit of a shit with a nasty combo of slidy floors, pitfalls and really obnioxious enemies that hit hard and summoned clones when they were about to die.

I do like this game but it isn't really drawing me in like a really good Rpg should. Combat is pretty basic and reptitive, there's nothing in terms of story and character and the graphics are a bizarre melange of sprites, 3D, pre-rendered aspects and none have it really has any definition or detail.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed May 30, 2018 9:23 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:frustratingly, I don't think I'll finish the game before the month ends, but I'll probably finish June 2nd or 3rd or so. So close!

Well, I was wrong! Managed to finish this beast about half an hour ago.

A "decent" game overall. Like 7/10 material. Really groundbreaking visuals and character designs; I just wish the game had a bit more variety. Like the original Dragon Warrior, this one is just too damn redundant. It hints to great things to come, though, and I'm glad Climax/Camelot switched up genres for the "sequel" (Shining Force) which turned out to be far superior.

I'll post a longer write-up in Games Beaten later.
Return to Together Retro