Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

by Exhuminator Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Sarge wrote:Geez, that sounds brutal. I've always wanted to snag a copy of that game, but just haven't. It's one of the PS2 games missing from my RPG collection. :(

WTotFL is absolutely worth owning if you enjoy serious FPDCs. Its presentation is above average for the genre, even versus today's modern FPDCs, high praise for a seventeen year old game. I'm seeing copies on Amazon and eBay for about $30 in good complete condition. It's worth that price. But I want to be clear that playing this game is a serious investment though. It can be grindy, byzantine, and occasionally outright unfair. But the sense of accomplishment provided from a successful dungeon run is addictive, and I love its atmosphere.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm

MrPopo wrote:So you're probably an experienced Shining player, and know that cursed equipment is not worth using. I'm going to let you know the one exception to that; the whip you can make for Pyra. It hits all and the curse is that she potentially loses her next turn. The benefit far outweighs the downside, especially as the chance of losing the turn is 50% or less.

Good to know. I sold the item that allows cursed equipment to be crafted -- but I can buy it back later.

The inventory space in this game is..... limited.
crazythink4
8-bit

by crazythink4 Sat May 19, 2018 10:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:In the final Trials cave in Shining in the Darkness. Almost a comical difficulty spike at this point. Enemies are much harder now, and there's one-way doors and pitfalls galore! According the the internets I'm not even halfway through the game. Yikes!

Yeah, due to time constraints, I’m probably not going to get to the end before the month is out, either. I just finished the second trial in the cave of courage, but I’ve only covered about two thirds of the first floor. I suspect I’ll need to explore further before I can move onto the next one.

But, will definitely play to the end after the month is out!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 pm

My wife went to a party this evening, and I stayed home to watch the kids. After they were in bed, I did what all men should do when they have their houses to themselves...I played a lot of Shadow Tower!

I feel like I am making a lot of progress all of a sudden. I got a ton of new equipment, I defeated a boss - Apollos - pretty easily, and I kept going into the fire world. While there, I murdered a lot of genies, got a lot of awesome drops, and trekked back up to the top of the tower to trade HP for equipment repairs. Sadly, I still don’t have enough total HP to repair my Tower Shield of Honor, but I should after I delve a bit deeper...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 20, 2018 2:22 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I did what all men should do when they have their houses to themselves...I played a lot of Shadow Tower!

---

I'm now 19 hours into Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2. I just made it to level 6 tonight; "Moldy Fort". Yes the level is named Moldy Fort. I've managed to evolve my ninja into a samurai, and replaced one of my priests with a powerful sorcerer. So now we're two human warriors, a human samurai, a human priest, and two elven sorcerers. Every time I play W:TotFL I eek a little more progress, but I have no idea how long this game is, or if I'll have it beaten before June. That is if it doesn't beat me first. :?

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am

Due to ongoing medical stuff, I haven't been playing as much of Dungeon Hack as I should. I'm currently on floor 12 of the 18 in my dungeon seed, and I have also encountered a terrible enemy, the Greater Freyer. They hit hard, they ignore AC, and they're invisible. I'm so glad I added that Mage class, because thankfully I have both the Detect Invisibility and Improved Invisibility spells to be able to hit them and not immediately get reamed myself.

The downside to Mage is that I only get new spells from scrolls, so I have been lucky to get what I have found. I still have yet to find an Identity scroll, which is what I wanted it for.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 20, 2018 9:59 am

crazythink4 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:In the final Trials cave in Shining in the Darkness. Almost a comical difficulty spike at this point. Enemies are much harder now, and there's one-way doors and pitfalls galore! According the the internets I'm not even halfway through the game. Yikes!

Yeah, due to time constraints, I’m probably not going to get to the end before the month is out, either. I just finished the second trial in the cave of courage, but I’ve only covered about two thirds of the first floor. I suspect I’ll need to explore further before I can move onto the next one.

But, will definitely play to the end after the month is out!

Yeah I'll probably finish in the first week of June (hopefully).

I'm in the second floor of the labyrinth proper. Took Popo's advice and got a cursed whip for Pyra, it tangles her up occasionally but also hits groups of enemies. Enemies are pretty tough now, and progress is slow going. There's a big warp on this floor which is kinda annoying for the purposes of map-making. Tons of equipment for sale now in town; I feel like the game is teasing me as I can only afford a small fraction of it. The best stuff needs mithril ore anyway, which needs to be found in the dungeon depths.
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 am

Anyone ever play Arx Fatalis on oXbox?

If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

If this already came up earlier in this thread I'm sorry I missed it. Everyone should take a look into this oXbox game though. Would have been great for this months play through!
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 20, 2018 11:06 am

Ack wrote:The downside to Mage is that I only get new spells from scrolls

W:TotFL is kind of like that. Sorcerers and priests can only gain new spells from magic stones made from monster organs and appendages. So as you kill monsters, randomly you'll get say a hound tongue or a dragon heart, stuff like that. Then you take these gruesome souvenirs to a particular shop, and someone there constructs magic stones from them. Afterwards you use the magic stone to teach a magic-capable character its relevant spell, and then that stone immediately breaks. Yeah you can only use magic stones once. However using the same stone again on the same character will level up the spell they've already learned. Frankly I find this whole magic stone thing inconvenient, and I wish magic characters would just gain spells from leveling up. However, I can see how the developers were making things more challenging this way, as well as introducing further complexity. The one boon of the magic stone system, is you can use it to teach characters spells who normally wouldn't have them. Like say a flame ball spell to a ninja. Although a few classes cannot learn magic at all.

chupon wrote:Anyone ever play Arx Fatalis on oXbox?

I've only played the PC version, but I very much enjoyed the PC version.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Orcs & Elves is pretty ace, though I think I tried getting those dragon eggs before I should have...that did not go well. :lol:

For those of you who have played- is there a particular piece of gear worth saving up for (and holding off other purchases)?
Return to Together Retro