Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

by noiseredux Thu May 17, 2018 8:49 am

Okay so as mentioned earlier, being two weeks behind when the game finally showed up has definitely taken a bit of a bite out of my motivation with Morrowind (combined with the fact that I've been insanely busy w/ IRL stuff). That said, if someone can point me to a solid fast-track walkthrough - something that's totally "hey if you just wanna plow through the main quests as quickly as possible," then that could at least possibly get the ball rolling enough for me to pick up steam. :oops:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

Exhuminator wrote:Yeah I'm just not a fan of Camelot FPDCs.

I like both of 'em well enough but can understand why others wouldn't. The biggest issue with this game (and Holy Ark) is the same issue I have with the Deep Dungeon series. It's like playing a Dragon Quest title but in first person. Just grind, grind, and progress a little at a time. There's no real "hook." Wizardry comes with the constant sense of impending doom. Megami Tensei has all the weird demonic aspects. Might and Magic has massive varied fantasy environments. And so on. Shining is a super stripped-down repetitive JRPG, just in first-person. I think the great Camelot visuals and art style manage to save it, but its certainly not in the upper echelons of this genre.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 17, 2018 10:34 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Shining is a super stripped-down repetitive JRPG, just in first-person. I think the great Camelot visuals and art style manage to save it, but its certainly not in the upper echelons of this genre.

I agree with this statement in general, although the Camelot visuals and art style aren't strong enough to hold me versus the otherwise mediocre experiences. I do think the Shining FPDCs are decent choices for genre neophytes to cut their teeth on however.

And I ran into some of that Wizardry impending doom last night. Had a ninja one shot kill one of my warriors out of the blue, insane critical hit considering a lot of factors I won't bore you with. Since dead party members don't receive experience, that really sucked. We were halfway through the cemetery level at that point, and I had to warp back to town to resurrect him. You can only resurrect in town, although ludicrously-extremely expensive revival potions exist (I can't afford them yet). I'm hoping eventually my priests can learn revive. But the way you acquire new magic in this game is so byzantine who knows when that might be (if ever). I'm not playing with a strategy guide or walkthrough, so trial and error is all I've got to work with.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

by ConsoleHandheldGamer Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm

I've just finished reading the whole thread! Currently I'm playing Etrian Odyssey Untold, which I don't think counts for this TR, but I will follow along in spirit!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Ninjas enemies are bastards in all Wizardry games. It's a tradition.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 pm

ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:Currently I'm playing Etrian Odyssey Untold, which I don't think counts for this TR, but I will follow along in spirit!

If you're playing through it on Expert like I did, good luck man. Great game, but yowza some of those bosses.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ninjas enemies are bastards in all Wizardry games. It's a tradition.

I didn't know that, but I believe it. You can't hardly hit these jerks with normal weapons, they're too fast! I have to use offensive magic, or allied attacks. As in, have two party members hold the ninja while another attacks it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am

Finished the cavernous Trials of Shining in the Darkness. Ready to ascend the labyrinth proper. The final Trial kinda sucked, due to the copious amount of pitfalls. The temptation is to locate, and subsequently avoid, all the aforementioned holes. Of course, there's a specific one you have to fall down to complete the Trial! Oof.

My lead character is level 25, and I've had some decent new gear made with the mithril ore I've managed to scrounge up. This isn't a particularly "hard" game; success is really just predicated on patience. Each floor requires many separate runs - slowly picking away at the treasures while periodically retreating to heal.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 18, 2018 10:45 am

So you're probably an experienced Shining player, and know that cursed equipment is not worth using. I'm going to let you know the one exception to that; the whip you can make for Pyra. It hits all and the curse is that she potentially loses her next turn. The benefit far outweighs the downside, especially as the chance of losing the turn is 50% or less.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

I put three more hours into WTotFL last night, I'm close to seventeen hours into it now. I spent most of that time exploring the fifth level; waterfall caverns. This place has some seriously tough monsters, but also decent loot. Level 5 takes about 25 minutes to reach from the first level, mainly because level three is randomly generated and you never know where the exit down will be, and level four is a cemetery full of pitfalls and tons of enemies. So after two and a half hours I was towards the bottom of level 5, nearly exhausted in my supplies, and one character possessed.* I was desperately searching for some sort of shortcut back to level 1, when I unexpectedly got hit by a boss encounter. (Level bosses tend to just show up out of nowhere.)

I had no healing potions left, and only one heal spell left. So this boss battle was crucial... dying meant losing all hours of progress and loot, plus permanently losing the possessed character. This boss had gaze hounds which I hate because they can cause party members to miss turns. Very carefully (and luckily) we managed to beat the boss and its minions. But four of my characters died, with only my main barely surviving, and luckily the possessed character by a slim margin. So I warped back to town and resurrected, exorcised, rested, resupplied, and then it was the long march back to level 5 again. This time we made it to the bottom of the waterfall caverns, and indeed found a new shortcut back to level 1. Meaning for now on, I can get directly to level 5 from level 1. I imagine we'll be able to enter level 6 shortly tonight. The kid gloves are definitely off and WTotFL wants us dead.

*Reapers randomly appear in levels and chase you around. If they catch your party, they randomly possess a party member. That possessed party member is permanently dead if they die while being possessed by the reaper.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri May 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Geez, that sounds brutal. I've always wanted to snag a copy of that game, but just haven't. It's one of the PS2 games missing from my RPG collection. :(
Return to Together Retro