Join in on our classic gaming club!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

by Xeogred Tue May 15, 2018 11:35 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I'm talking your boney undead zombies take like 30-50 hits to kill, get knocked down numerous times, etc. It's kind of crazy.

You're doing something wrong, I don't know what that is exactly, but you're doing it wrong. Oh well. I recommend the GOG version of Arx Fatalis

Ehh, doubt it. Too lazy to look around some discussions again on others experiencing the same thing with the second half of the game and enemy sponges. Going from a Hook+3 to a Cleaver+7, or upgrading Melee stats directly, none of this is ever really noticeably reflected in the gameplay whatsoever. Same story with magic, takes like 5+ shots and a full mana bar to take out a single enemy or two. Even the rage critical hits don't always KO enemies. Then you're spamming potions with how much damage you in turn take. This is not a deep game at all despite having some pseudo RPG elements. I think it's on Normal and maybe Easy would change this but I don't know. But this is only part of the issue, the level design and everything else is getting worse too along with awful boss fights and friendly NPC's that die like a joke failing the missions. First half was insanely promising but this fell apart quickly.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm

I wish I could give you better advice, but I beat Dark Messiah over ten years ago, and I can't remember exactly how I dealt with the undead. I'm pretty sure I fireballed them from a distance and used sanctuary if they got close. Failing that inferno. I remember really enjoying Dark Messiah and wondering why it got such lackluster reviews. But I also remember reading many people thought the game was too hard, especially if they tried to go 100% melee.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 pm

After playing way more than I should have tonight, I officially defeated the evil wizard Tyrhung and beat The Dark Spire! But it's not over yet! The ending I experienced was super lame and the game clearly expects players to keep going. I'm happy to oblige!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 am

Nemoide wrote:After playing way more than I should have tonight, I officially defeated the evil wizard Tyrhung and beat The Dark Spire!

Congrats man, I know that was no easy feat. And kudos to you for soldiering on for the true ending.

---

I made some good progress in WTotFL tonight. I finally figured out the elevator puzzles in floor 2, and made it to floor 3. Floor 3 is a randomly generated floor, with enemies called Gas Dragons which are pretty tough and very poisonous.

The goal (best I could tell) of floor 3 was to find the stairs down to floor 4. I did. Floor 4 is an underground cemetery chock full of undead (and gargoyles). This is where my two priests and their Dispel Undead capabilities are really coming in handy.

Floor 4 consists of two levels, the top level is full of pitfalls which drop you to a lower level filled with treasure and portals. The portals take you back to the cemetery level. So I'm killing undead hordes and mapping out where all the damn pitfalls are. Ultimately I'm trying to find a way to level 5. This area's fairly challenging but my party is hanging tough.

Super fun FPDC thus far folks! But I've still got a long way to go...
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

So I started noodling around with Lands of Lore 2 last night. It's interesting just how much of a departure it is from the first one and from the EotB series that spawned it. Instead of a party you have one character, it's not grid based, but it still uses the click sword/click magic system and auto targeting. It feels like they wanted to go to an Arena style game but didn't want to fully let go of that Dungeon Master heritage. It's also much more linear than the first game; each time you go to a new area you're pretty much locked away from the old one, whereas LoL1 had some criss crossing and dungeons off of a couple of hubs. And there's a bunch of bad FMV for no good reason.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed May 16, 2018 4:47 pm

In the final Trials cave in Shining in the Darkness. Almost a comical difficulty spike at this point. Enemies are much harder now, and there's one-way doors and pitfalls galore! According the the internets I'm not even halfway through the game. Yikes!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

So the layout is you do floor one, the four caves, then floors 2-5. There's a mechanic in the upper floors that lets you skip through them, but it is clunky as hell; after beating the second floor you get an item from the minister that you can drop into a pool at the end of each floor and then warp to that pool. But you have to pick the item up if you want to move it to a different floor. So you would have to do the following:

Get through floor 2. Egress.
Get to the end of floor 2 again, drop the item. Now you can Egress to freshen up for 3.
Warp to the end of floor 2, and slowly do floor 3. When you can beat floor 3, egress.
Warp to the end of floor 2, pick up the item, do floor 3, drop it at the end of floor 3. Egress to fresh up for 4.
Repeat.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Sounds like the most irritating thing ever haha.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Yeah I'm just not a fan of Camelot FPDCs.

-

Edit:

In WTotFL, after three hours tonight I made it past the 4th level cemetery and to the 5th level, which consists of a massive waterfall with spiraling caverns all around it. I'm hoping there's a shortcut in the 5th level back to the 1st level, because presently I have to work my way from level 1 all the way to level 5 every time I warp back to town. Which means I have to re-traverse the undead infested 4th level all over again; albeit quicker now that I know where the pitfalls are. Still the encounter rate is a bit high there and that slows me down.

Has anyone else around here played or beaten Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken Land?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 am

So I have been playing Skyrim (PSVR) pretty consistently this month, which I suppose counts for TR if Morrowind does. I beat Skyrim some years ago, but never played the DLC or did much more than the main quest. This time I am hoping to clear out all the main story content (including the DLC) and experience a good deal more of the game. It is fantastic in VR - it almost feels like I am playing a different game in some respects and the sense of immersion is unreal.

I have also been meaning to get around to Orcs & Elves for some years, and am glad to see that it is a short title. I will try to squeeze that in some day between now and the end of the month.
Return to Together Retro