Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

by noiseredux Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am

marurun wrote:If you abuse the systems in the game 2 weeks is more than enough time.

Any tips going in are appreciated. I've played Skyrim (a lot) as well as Oblivion and Online, but it's my first time with Morrowind.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 14, 2018 10:25 am

Hop up every slope. In fact, hop everywhere.
I like going with light, fast blades, because the gameplay in Morrowind is a bit like an MMO. You attack a bunch and every once in a while you hit. By going with light, fast blades I could spam attacks and know that something was going to land. Also, when you enchant, you only expend charges when you hit, so I would enchant massive damage into my light blades. But I also abused the hell out of the game. And leveling works similar to Oblivion, not Skyrim. So whatever skills you use, you get a stronger bonus in the related stat.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 am

In those other games I tend to do a lot of archery. Good idea or bad idea here?
marurun

by marurun Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

noiseredux wrote:In those other games I tend to do a lot of archery. Good idea or bad idea here?

Archery is slow to level up, and you waste a lot of arrows, but if you're doing archery and sneaking it works. And sneaking isn't too hard to level up, though you do kinda have to be aggressive about pursuing it. But you do need a melee weapon, because cliff racers.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 pm

43 hours into The Dark Spire. I'm up to the 7th floor and the end is in sight! Kind of. I expect it will still take me a while, and apparently there's another floor of post-game stuff, so I'll be busy. One thing I like about the 6th and 7th floors is how, in modern-mode, the graphics are designed with a kind of odd perspective to make the walls look huge and intimidating and the soundtrack builds tension very well using a chorus in the music for those floors. But classic-mode is still where it's at!

I'm using a walkthrough more, some of the puzzles are obnoxious, like a teleporter whose functions need to be figured out via trial and error on the 6th floor that can send you to locations on other floors (sometimes that's good for completing quests and otherwise inaccessible areas, other times it's annoying).
There was one puzzle I doubt I'd have figured out on my own, but I appreciate SO MUCH:
There's a locked door with two pedestals. One one is a statue of a white cat in a simple cartoony style saying "H3LLO". The other is empty. You're supposed to put three apples on the empty one. I assume the "3" in hello is to make is easier for Americans, but it's a WELL KNOWN FACT in Sanrio-circles that Hello Kitty weighs as much as 3 apples. I'm really pleased that the game used that for a puzzle!

My entire party has secondary classes now: my dwarf is a samurai (warrior-mage), my halfling is a wizard (thief-mage), my elf is a druid (priest-mage), and my human is a paladin (warrior-priest). Mage spells are definitely the most valuable way to fight enemies when you're at higher floors of the tower. Everyone is ABOUT level 17 (secondary classes are based on the average levels of the two main-classes) but I've been spending a hefty amount of experience points on upping my stats.

The game still isn't easy, my party's been wiped out a fair number of times due to bad luck (if a bunch of dragons ambush the party and use breath attacks, they can kill everyone quickly. Spells sometimes fail (or even backfire) and that's enough to seriously mess my party up sometimes.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon May 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Went deeper into the Shadow Tower. Helped some guy getting crushed by a boulder. Killed some monsters. Got to what I think is a boss. Don’t know, though. Whatever it is killed me THROUGH A WALL when I was trying to walk back to a save point... :x
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 14, 2018 11:41 pm

Hit Chapter 6 of 10 in Dark Messiah but I might be tapping out on this one... Chapter 5 (the huge spider pit one with two bosses) just went on forever! The biggest issue I have with this game I'm seeing echoed around online in the later chapters, every single enemy is a total sponge. I'm talking your boney undead zombies take like 30-50 hits to kill, get knocked down numerous times, etc. It's kind of crazy. When there's traps or cliffs around you can easily kick enemies for instant kills but those options aren't always available. The stealth doesn't really work for jack either and the boss battles don't seem very intuitive. To top it off the story/characters is painfully bad, atrocious writing and some of the sexual tension in one moment felt like it was written by some middler schoolers, it was so awkward and lame. Lots of buggy glitches at times too with the rope bow clipping through walls and stuff. It holds up well in some ways and then in others not very well at all. And although it's got the great Source Engine and shows that off, for ~2006 I still think Condemned's melee combat is way better than this.

Worth a few bucks if you see a 360 copy or want to grab it off Steam. Cool to see some of Arkane's blueprints for Dishonored here, but yeah that might be enough for me.

Maybe I'll try to give Arx Fatalis a look but I can never seem to get it running well, was pretty finicky on two different PC's for me over the years so I won't get my hopes up much. I have to imagine it's better than this and more about adventure/exploration.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue May 15, 2018 8:11 am

Got home late-ish last night but at least managed to install Morrowind (even though the disc was scratched AF) and get the ball rolling. Really all I got around to was getting off that little boat and getting my character sorted out. I thought it was interesting the way you rolled the stats - the whole answering questions thing. Of course then I wasn't really into the character I rolled so then I went back and tweaked things a bit, haha. As is my way I was trying to go for the same character I've played in Skyrim and Oblivion (and... most every other RPG in the past several years...) so I made a Wood Elf and yeah, she's got some archery skills. But it was late and I wasn't really up for using my brain so... I should have a chance to actually spend some quality time on it tonight I think.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Whatever it is killed me THROUGH A WALL when I was trying to walk back to a save point.

Just a li'l Shadow Tower death hug bro.

Xeogred wrote:I'm talking your boney undead zombies take like 30-50 hits to kill, get knocked down numerous times, etc. It's kind of crazy.

You're doing something wrong, I don't know what that is exactly, but you're doing it wrong. Oh well. I recommend the GOG version of Arx Fatalis.

-

I didn't get to play much Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken Land over the weekend unfortunately. But I got to play it more last night. At this point I've got about eight hours in it. I have cleared the first area (frozen wasteland and collapsed ruins) and nearly cleared the second.

The second area is an old multi-leveled jail, connected via stairways and non-working elevators. Getting the elevators working again is a bit of a puzzle, and I've not quite finished that yet. This jail area is full of undead who are not so easy to kill. And the boss of this second area was a freaking GRIM REAPER, who I have managed to (re)kill.

I have been warned by an NPC that the third area is a magic labyrinth with a layout that changes every time you enter it. Oh boy! I glanced at a walkthrough to get an idea of how far I am in the game, and I've barely even started. The difficulty is slowly creeping up higher the deeper into the labyrinth I get. It's already above average in that regard anyway. Last night a sexy thief offered to join my party after I helped her mine some special ore. I'm trying to decide if I'll willing to give up one of my priests to let her join. Priests are useful because they can (re)kill undead and heal my tanks, whereas a thief isn't so useful for those things. Decisions decisions, this is a game of sacrificial decisions. I'm certainly having a good time though, and remain impressed with the overall production. Looks like WTotFL is a long game too. Hopefully I can finish it before May is over, I don't know guys... we'll see.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 am

That game looks rad. I like how the Japanese tackled that classic WRPG series. The Wizardry Gaiden games are pretty solid too.

And yeah, most of the games of this genre are loooong. That's why I've adjusted my expectations and hope to maybe complete one this month. Maybe!
Return to Together Retro