23%
Classic Anime
14%

Total votes : 69
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro - May

by laurenhiya21 Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am

While I admit that FPDC was my least favourite option of the bunch (mostly just for often higher difficulty), I still should be able to find things to play so I'm not complaining.

I do know that I want to play Madou Monogatari (it shouldn't be hard to emulate, yeah?), but I'll have to do some more research on some other retro options.
Ack

by Ack Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am

laurenhiya21 wrote:While I admit that FPDC was my least favourite option of the bunch (mostly just for often higher difficulty), I still should be able to find things to play so I'm not complaining.

I do know that I want to play Madou Monogatari (it shouldn't be hard to emulate, yeah?), but I'll have to do some more research on some other retro options.

Try Arcana for the SNES out. I don't find it terribly difficult, it combines JRPG aesthetics with dungeon crawler design, and it has a system that is easy to learn and control. Part of what scares people about this genre is that the games often bite off a lot and take a lot of learning to get into; Arcana doesn't have that issue. You should be able to pick it up pretty easily.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 am

Can I play Elminage Original for this? It was released for the PS2 in Japan in March 2008, but the 3DS port was not released in North America until last year...Is it “retro” enough?’

Also, I agree on Arcana. It’s not bad at all. If you can handle Phantasy Star, you can breeze through Arcana easily.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:15 am

Elminage Original is eligible. Hope you know what you're getting into though!

For those worried about difficulty, as a general rule Japanese games of this genre are generally easier than their Western counterparts. Many Japanese games of this type essentially play like first-person Dragon Quest style "JRPGs" and eschew complicated class and alignment systems.

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:My initial instinct is to say "no" to Shadowgate, though some Googling indicates that some do indeed consider it a "dungeon-crawler" despite the lack of RPG elements. I'd say that it, along with Tombs & Treasure, just barely make the cut.

Since you are the curator and have final say; how about defining the elements a game should have to be considered a FPDC?

Ha! I dunno if I can handle this power and responsibility. This seems to be one of those "you know it when you see it" genres anyway.
If I had to define it, for the purposes of this challenge...
- These games are traditionally RPGs, or at the very least contain "RPG elements" like experience points, level progressions, class systems, inventories, etc.
- The game must contain dungeons -- that is, large areas designed for exploration, which typically contain enemy encounters and treasure.
- Games don't need to have a perpetual first-person perspective, but the dungeons must be in first-person.
- Combat is typically on the "slow" and strategic side, with damage inflicted and received determined by statistics.
- Try to keep it retro, people.

That's about it. Honestly, going forward, I don't think we need much more of the "but what about?!" discussions. It's tedious, and discussion about clear-cut and appropriate games is much more fun and worthwhile. The best examples of this genre have already been stated, multiple times in fact. Asking for additional suggestions is perfectly fine, of course, but at this point I think the genre definition should be considered solidified.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Ack wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:While I admit that FPDC was my least favourite option of the bunch (mostly just for often higher difficulty), I still should be able to find things to play so I'm not complaining.

Try Arcana for the SNES out. I don't find it terribly difficult, it combines JRPG aesthetics with dungeon crawler design, and it has a system that is easy to learn and control. Part of what scares people about this genre is that the games often bite off a lot and take a lot of learning to get into; Arcana doesn't have that issue. You should be able to pick it up pretty easily.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Also, I agree on Arcana. It’s not bad at all. If you can handle Phantasy Star, you can breeze through Arcana easily.

Alright looks like I'll have to check out Arcana then! (haven't played Phantasy Star though so that's not a good comparison for me :P)

Dungeon crawlers definitely can be a bit intimidating for me with all the classes and stats and the "oh whoops you didn't making the right party combo so you're dead!", so a simple dungeon crawler sounds great.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:09 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:That's about it. Honestly, going forward, I don't think we need much more of the "but what about?!" discussions.

Those have happened with every TR so far, it's just something you have to deal with as a curator. And with your description of FPDC, I think you've clearly defined the genre for May. (I also agree with your description of the genre.)

laurenhiya21 wrote:haven't played Phantasy Star though so that's not a good comparison for me

If you're considering playing it, Phantasy Star could work for this TR. Its dungeon exploration fits the FPDC rules.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Arcana and Shining in the Darkness are good for beginners.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 pm

You won't have any trouble with Arcana, Shining in the Darkness, or Shining the Holy Ark. They are effectively traditional JRPGs with a first-person perspective. No fiddly classes, combat that mirrors typical turn-based JRPG combat, and no super-complicated mechanics or puzzles. They're perfect if you normally bounce off of the genre.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Sarge wrote:You won't have any trouble with Arcana, Shining in the Darkness, or Shining the Holy Ark. They are effectively traditional JRPGs with a first-person perspective. No fiddly classes, combat that mirrors typical turn-based JRPG combat, and no super-complicated mechanics or puzzles. They're perfect if you normally bounce off of the genre.

If you have access to shining the holy ark, I would highly recommend playing it. It has a mapper for you in game so you don't have to rely on paper or pencil or end game spells or items. Plus, it is a prequel to shining force 3
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 pm

I know everybody hates NeoGAF (understandably), but a while back they actually had a great thread on FPDC:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/can-we-t ... rs.469298/
(Very image heavy thread, mobile users beware.)

It's useful if you're looking for ideas of stuff to play (though kinda PC slanted).

-

As far as beginner level FPDCs go, I'll just throw these ideas out there...

This DS FPDC is easy, short, and fun. I beat it a few years ago. Good times.

This PS2 FPDC is easy, medium length, and awesome. I beat it a few years ago.
There is an English fan translation: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2042/
Play on a hacked PS2 or emulate it, whatever.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro