23%
Classic Anime
14%

Total votes: 69

MrPopo

Re: Together Retro - May

Post by MrPopo »

In terms of good starter FPDCs, these would be my recommendations:

Shining in the Darkness/Shining the Holy Ark - As mentioned, these play more like Dragon Quest in a first person perspective, but the maps tend to not be too difficult.

Might and Magic III - This is the point the series started to pick up some major user friendliness. Being restricted to only three (or less) enemies fighting you at a time keeps the danger from getting out of hand (if you are appropriately leveled), as well as the fact that there's only so many encounters per map (plus the ability to wipe out the spawners in the overworld). Having a six man party plus two hirelings also means you won't run into "I picked a bad party" syndrome unless you go out of your wait to do something terrible. If you have even a basic level of instinct you'll be fine.

Pool of Radiance - Now, I won't lie, the beginning can be a bit difficult. But it actually has nothing to do with the fact it's first person; it's entirely because 1st level AD&D combat as a game of everyone whiffing until someone lands a hit, and that hit will be a OHKO. Once you ding level 2 (and pay the training costs) things get much better; your magic user can use more than one charge of sleep (btw, use sleep as your level 1 spell until end game) and your fighters can kill multiple popcorn mobs in one turn.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Okay I think I have my games picked out for the month of May! I'll definitely be playing two separate titles, though whether I'll actually finish both of them is anyone's guess. If past months are any indication, I'm good for about one RPG per month ... if that. :|

King's Field (US): This game is basically the entire reason I was rooting so hard for first-person dungeon crawlers. You'll notice an explicit US designation here. That's because King's Field has a bit of a 'Final Fantasy situation' happening in which the 'King's Field' game released for PlayStation in the U.S. & Europe is actually King's Field II in Japan. And the Japanese title 'King's Field' was never released in other regions (or in English for that matter). I played the Japanese release a couple of years ago via an English translation patch by John Osbourne, and it's a great game y'all. If you're shying away from the theme next month due to an idea that first-person dungeon crawlers are slow, stat-heavy affairs that involve more number crunching than actual game play ... well King's Field might as well be the antithesis of that. These games (or at least the one that I played) is none of the above, and it yet captures that amazing feeling of exploration, adventure, and discovery that FPDC's epitomize so well. Fans of Souls-like titles would also do well to check out King's Field, because ... aside from the obvious From Software connection, they're also sort of balls-difficult (or at least in certain areas). No hand-holding, no pandering, just 'git gud' or die. I can respect that!

????: The other game I'll be playing is more of a 'traditional' type FPDC. It's a SFC compilation title containing remastered versions of FC games within a popular (though niche) RPG series (I'm only aiming to play the first game in the series). I had to track down a translation patch for that last night, which I've now applied to the rom, tested for functionality, and installed to my 3DS for portable convenience. Man I love the convenience and flexibility provided by modern gaming utilities! I'm hoping that having a combination of console and 'portable' titles to play will allow me to finish both of my choices. We'll see!

I'm definitely getting excited for next month! (if you couldn't tell :mrgreen: )

EDIT:
Question for Ex or any other King's Field fans; I'm trying to remember is there an additional separate epilogue to the end of King's Field (Japan) that was released on a separate disc? Or perhaps it might have been separately released prelude for King's Field II? I keep on having this nagging tug of memory suggesting that there was in fact some separate (though short) King's Field title/demo that was released in between I and II. If so I'd just as soon play that before fully embarking into King's Field II.
Last edited by nullPointer on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

nullPointer wrote:they're also sort of balls-difficult (or at least in certain areas). No hand-holding, no pandering, just 'git gud' or die.

That's all true. As far as difficulty goes, here's how I'd rate FromSoftware's FPDCs from hardest to easiest:

Shadow Tower
King's Field III
King's Field II
King's Field IV
King's Field
King's Field III: Pilot Style*
Eternal Ring
Shadow Tower Abyss

I'm glad you're going in for another dive. In my admittedly unbiased and neutral opinion KF is the best game series on earth.

*People often forget about this one. It's a standalone prelude to KFIII.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

nullPointer wrote:EDIT:
Question for Ex or any other King's Field fans; I'm trying to remember is there an additional separate epilogue to the end of King's Field (Japan) that was released on a separate disc? Or perhaps it might have been a separately released prelude for King's Field II?
Exhuminator wrote:King's Field III: Pilot Style*

*People often forget about this one. It's a standalone prelude to KFIII.

Dude thank you! This is what I was trying to think of. It was driving me nuts! :D
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

nullPointer wrote:Dude thank you! This is what I was trying to think of. It was driving me nuts!

No problem. Just in case you weren't aware, King's Field III: Pilot Style got a full English translation:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1994/

It's easy to find English pre-patched ISOs on the net. Don't feel bad "pirating" it. KFIII:PS was a very limited promo item, it was never sold in stores. It does only take about an hour to beat, but you can't save and the boss at the end is fairly deadly. Not something I'd recommend as anyone's first KF, but it is definitely worth playing after KFII and before KFIII. For the lore's sake if nothing else.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Does Virtual Hydlide count? I don't want to play it, but I am curious to know.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

BTW, if anyone wants to win the prize for being the forum's perviest weeb, Lightning Warrior Raidy is an option...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Nemoide wrote:BTW, if anyone wants to win the prize for being the forum's perviest weeb, Lightning Warrior Raidy is an option...

I've already beaten it, so I guess I win that distinction. (My review.) There's even two sequels to Raidy. I was considering playing part II next month as one of my picks. Really the whole ecchi/hentai FPDC thing is its own entire genre in Japan. There's plenty more I could recommend! :D :) :| :oops: :cry:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Virtual Hydlide, though awesome, is not a first-person game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

nullPointer wrote:????: The other game I'll be playing is more of a 'traditional' type FPDC. It's a SFC compilation title containing remastered versions of FC games within a popular (though niche) RPG series (I'm only aiming to play the first game in the series). I had to track down a translation patch for that last night, which I've now applied to the rom, tested for functionality, and installed to my 3DS for portable convenience. Man I love the convenience and flexibility provided by modern gaming utilities! I'm hoping that having a combination of console and 'portable' titles to play will allow me to finish both of my choices. We'll see!

I loved the SFC remake of the first game. My cartridge is an early bugged revision, that locks up in the elevator of the second game, unfortunately, but that's all right, because it forced me to buy the original FC version, which is really the better version of the sequel, anyway. I hope you enjoy it! Also, be prepared for a pretty tough game; Trap floors are a big thing in the latter half of the game.