23%
Classic Anime
14%

Total votes: 69

nullPointer
128-bit

Re: Together Retro - May

Post by nullPointer »

pierrot wrote:I loved the SFC remake of the first game. My cartridge is an early bugged revision, that locks up in the elevator of the second game, unfortunately, but that's all right, because it forced me to buy the original FC version, which is really the better version of the sequel, anyway. I hope you enjoy it! Also, be prepared for a pretty tough game; Trap floors are a big thing in the latter half of the game.

You figured me out! :lol: Yeah I'm looking forward to delving into this series. It's obviously a series with some wide reaching branches and as such I think it's really had some wide reaching influence. And to think that I've never played any of them! :shock: It's a shame that more Megami Tensei titles weren't released outside of Japan, particularly in regards to these early titles. I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hubbub is about!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm definitely hyped for this next TR. The most hyped for a TR I've been so far this year. I've got a quite a few FPDCs picked out. There's no way I can beat them all in one month, but I'll try to beat at least three. I'm considering giving Stonekeep a try towards the end of April. It could act as a segue between FMV to FPDC. (I'm not sure how good it actually is though. Most reviews I've read for the game aren't exactly positive.) I'm very much looking forward to seeing who participates in FPDC month, and vicariously experiencing which games they choose to play. One of you must take down Mysterium!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:One of you must take down Mysterium!

Good call! What other FPDCs are there for the Gameboy and Gameboy Color? I know about Sword of Hope and Sword of Hope II, but are there others?
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:One of you must take down Mysterium!

Good call! What other FPDCs are there for the Gameboy and Gameboy Color? I know about Sword of Hope and Sword of Hope II, but are there others?

Outside of Sword of Hope, Sword of Hope II, and Mysterium, Wizardry had a ton of entries, though you'll have to find translated ROMs or be able to read Japanese.

For Game Boy:

Wizardry Gaiden - Japan Only
Wizardry Gaiden II - Japan Only
Wizardry Gaiden III - Japan Only

For Game Boy Color:

Wizardry - Japan Only
Wizardry II - Japan Only
Wizardry III - Japan Only
Wizardry Empire - Japan Only
Wizardry Empire: Resurrection Staff - Japan Only

Beyond that, there is a Japan-only collection for both Sword of Hope games on one cart as well as Nekojara Monogatari and Ayakashi no Shiro, but I don't know of much else for Game Boy.

Game Boy Color has Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I always thought Mysterium looked really interesting from the Nintendo Power feature on the game. I may very well keep it in mind for this.

I really do need to get some more gaming in, though. Lately I've been spending more time cruising the Internet and hacking various things, like my SNES Classic.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The Sword of Hope is an interesting one. It's a first-person RPG, but navigation isn't what you'd expect. The game world itself is laid out as a series of "environments" like something out of a PC adventure game (here's a map sampling). It's clear that Kemco was inspired by Shadowgate, which they previously ported to the NES.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I remember how excited I was to get a copy of Sword of Hope 2. I haven't beaten it, though. :(
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I still need that one.

Oh, and Ayakashi no Shiro has a fan translation now.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:Game Boy Color has Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit.

Good call! I actually just got a copy of that game a few weeks ago.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Another Game Boy color FPDC is The Black Onyx.

All the GB & GBC Wizardry entries were translated into English:
On SNES, I think Obitus works IIRC. Also on SNES; Dungeon Master (now's your chance Ack), and all the Wizardry games. I'm pretty sure all the SFC ones got translated into English:The Japanese do love their Wizardry!

On GBA you've got Wizardry Summoner, Shin Megami Tensei I & II, and Mazes of Fate. There may be more.

On PCE/TG16 don't forget about Lady Sword. Also Double Dungeons, and I think Silent Debuggers can work. There's a variety of FPDCs on TGCD/PCECD.

I wonder if Shadowgate 64 counts on N64? I dunno.

On Genesis... Might and Magic: Gates to Another World, Madou Monogatari I, and yeah Shining in the Darkness.

Just about every retro platform will have at least one FPDC.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.