23%
Classic Anime
14%

Total votes: 69

ESauced
64-bit

Re: Together Retro - May

Post by ESauced »

Would Balloon Fight and Joust fall in the single-screen platformers category? If not, what genre are they? How about Jetpac? Is there a certain point where you’re flying too much to be counted as a platformer?

Just curious, my vote is for single screen platformers either way.

EDIT: never mind, just saw the post that said flappy games are fine. I’d have to assume Jetpac is fine too (which would be nice for anyone with the Rare Replay Collection)
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I chose dungeon crawler because there are three games I really want to play in that category, which are Shining the Holy Ark and Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. Plus the likes of ravenloft... if that counts.. But if I even get to it.

Dude, Ultima Underworld is a blast. I have yet to get around to the second one myself, but I absolutely loved the original. If FPDC wins, you gotta give it a whirl.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ack wrote:You know what? I rather agree with you about Square Enix. I've changed my vote to Telenet just because it would be interesting. I'm still also voting for dungeon crawlers though, too, because I always love an excuse to give them more loving.

Huzzah! My meager proselytizing bears fruit. You've done a fine deed this day, Ack. Quite a fine deed, indeed.

Exhuminator wrote:I have only cast one of my votes thus far, and it has been for FPDC.

The other entries are all well and good, but FPDC is ze best IMO.

Think of all the Telenet you could be voting for, though, Ex. Why not throw a vote at it.

Be like this guy, and vote Telenet.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

pierrot wrote:Think of all the Telenet you could be voting for, though, Ex. Why not throw a vote at it.

I'm saving that vote for breaking troll ties.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I would be happy for any category other than dungeon crawlers to win. I'd really rather not sit a month out, but if FPDC does take it I think I'll have to. I have nothing to play for it currently and nothing I want to spend money on for it either.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Shining in the Darkness? You like Shining Force, right?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Shining into the Darkness is awesome as is Shing of the Holy Arc. Not suggesting it for the thread but I'm excited about an upcoming game called The Lost Child. FP view and plays like older SMT games. So I voted Telenet and FP RPGs. Here is one I'm not sure many people have played and even Bone didn't know it in the guess the game thread. Princess Quest on SEGA Saturn. Like Phantasy Star only the dungeons are in FP.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Arcana is another good Japanese one, for anyone trying to avoid the super-ancient clunky Western dungeon-crawlers. I mean, those games are good, but I understand they're not for everyone.

@aj
Another thought. Do you have Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken? It's like two dollars, thirty minutes long, and has a fan translation. It's an adventure game with a dungeon-crawling sequence. Also, it's Enix!

Too early to speculate about a winner anyway. Still plenty of time to vote!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Shining in the Darkness? You like Shining Force, right?

These two questions... these are why I want FPDC to win.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

If FPDC wins, I'll probably play Ultima Underworld, Might & Magic 2 (Genesis version), or Class of Heroes; they've all been in my backlog for a while. UU is generally considered the best of those, but I haven't been into playing games on my PC lately.
Class of Heroes is turning 10 this year and I *really* just want to play the second one but dislike playing games out of order if I can help it.

I'd like to see someone try to tackle The Dark Spire for Nintendo DS. That one's having its 10th anniversary in May, so it's EXTRA appropriate. It's also among the most brutally difficult games I've ever played. There's a part of me that would like to pick it up again, but another part of me that's intimidated because it's just SO difficult. IIRC, even though it has an auto-map, it doesn't show where you are on the map, which just makes the difficulty that much more intense...