Re: Together Retro - May

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Some first person Dark Souls knockoff series

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

That was a close one, but FPDC won in the end!

I was alternating in my head between Shining in the Darkness and The Elder Scrolls: Arena and I think I settled on Shining. I have a shocking lack of Genesis/MegaDrive RPGs that I've played and it seems as good a place to start as any.

(Yes, I know, I know, I have to play Phantasy Star II to IV. I've played the original, I just never seem to get around to them. I generally like to have only one RPG on the go at a time because they can be big time sinks and sometimes I just feel like switching to a quick action game. I swear I'll get to them someday!)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So, when it was 17/17 between FPDC and Square/Enix yesterday, I actually did briefly change my vote to Square/Enix to push it ahead.

But I reconsidered - whilst I would definitely enjoy it more, FPDC clearly has a lot of people excited and it's more distinct from February's FF spin-offs month.

My final votes were for Anime and Single Screen Platformers.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

YES!!!!!

I will be playing King’s Field III, and I may also try to knock out Arcana. (I rented that one as a kid and almost beat it. I have my own copy now...)
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Shining the Holy Ark for me. Does Shadowgate count or is that more of an adventure game?
Ack

Post by Ack »

My problem is that I have too much to play: Ultima III, Eye of the Beholder III, Dungeon Master, Might and Magic I, Ultima Underworld II, Dragon Wars... The list goes on and on.
marurun

Post by marurun »

May I recommend folks avoid Double Dungeons on the TG-16. Imagine a FPDC with no story, and each new dungeon starts you back at level 1 with only starting equipment.. You're taking on dungeons to get each letter of the password for the final dungeon. Also, there's only like 2 music tracks in the entire game.

Go ahead, I dare you to play this game.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:My problem is that I have too much to play

I'm in the same boat, I've already picked out a dozen different FPDCs I'm interested in. I'm trying to dial my ambitions back to something reasonable like five at the most. This is one of my personal favorite genres, so it's easy to get overly ambitious. One can only beat so many games in a month.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My initial instinct is to say "no" to Shadowgate, though some Googling indicates that some do indeed consider it a "dungeon-crawler" despite the lack of RPG elements. I'd say that it, along with Tombs & Treasure, just barely make the cut.

Double Dungeons isn't too bad, but the whole level-progression & password thing is sooooo stupid.

I'm debating what to play myself.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:My initial instinct is to say "no" to Shadowgate, though some Googling indicates that some do indeed consider it a "dungeon-crawler" despite the lack of RPG elements. I'd say that it, along with Tombs & Treasure, just barely make the cut.

Since you are the curator and have final say; how about defining the elements a game should have to be considered a FPDC?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.