23%
Classic Anime
14%

Total votes: 69

Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Together Retro - May

Post by Betagam7 »

If anyone is looking for a challenging single screen platformer for a handheld then I would recommend the GBA port of Manic Miner (the predecessor to Jet Set Willy and a true single screen affair rather than a flip screen exploration game). It even has a password system to make it slightly more manageable.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I like how close the voting is.

Where all the Telenet fans at tho??? 8)
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

For those looking for options for First Person Dungeon Crawlers, Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard just turned 10 years old earlier this year, so the first two entries of that series should be fair game if you're playing on the go and don't want to cart around graph paper.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a decent program or app that would be good for drawing old-school dungeon maps? I used to obsess over drawing maps as a child, but something more convenient than dead trees would be nice...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

crazythink4 wrote:Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a decent program or app that would be good for drawing old-school dungeon maps? I used to obsess over drawing maps as a child, but something more convenient than dead trees would be nice...

What a great question! After you asked I was curious as well and did some searching. I figured the tabletop RPG set surely would have had to have created a demand for this at some point, and that does indeed seem to be the case.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think I may give Dungeon Sketch a shot. There do seem to be more complex/robust options out there, but honestly I'm just interested in something simple and easy to use (free certainly doesn't hurt either!). If you don't try it or find another option in the meantime, I'll let you know how it goes!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've been using Grid Cartographer for a while now. It's got a good feature set and handles several different types of grids (including the fact that some games used block walls and some used edge walls). It's also got a feature that lets you run an embedded Dosbox window in the program and it will automatically move your avatar cursor as you navigate. You still have to draw all the walls, but it functions like EO's mapper does by keeping you in sync. It went pay-only a couple years ago, though; used to be there was a free tier and a pro tier and I upgraded to pro a while ago because I wanted to support this guy's work.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Where all the Telenet fans at tho??? 8)

Telenet was my top choice. I wanted more incentive to play Arcus I-II-III, Cosmic Fantasy Stories, and Cosmic Fantasy 3. I feel like I owe them that for all the times I've looked at them and thought, 'Today is the day,' but it wasn't. I supplemented that pick with FP Dungeon Crawlers, because that puts Arcus in play, either way (and Ganbare Goemon: Karakuri Douchuu). Also, I'd kind of rather not see another Squeenix month.
Ack

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Where all the Telenet fans at tho??? 8)

Telenet was my top choice. I wanted more incentive to play Arcus I-II-III, Cosmic Fantasy Stories, and Cosmic Fantasy 3. I feel like I owe them that for all the times I've looked at them and thought, 'Today is the day,' but it wasn't. I supplemented that pick with FP Dungeon Crawlers, because that puts Arcus in play, either way (and Ganbare Goemon: Karakuri Douchuu). Also, I'd kind of rather not see another Squeenix month.

You know what? I rather agree with you about Square Enix. I've changed my vote to Telenet just because it would be interesting. I'm still also voting for dungeon crawlers though, too, because I always love an excuse to give them more loving.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I chose dungeon crawler because there are three games I really want to play in that category, which are Shining the Holy Ark and Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. Plus the likes of ravenloft... if that counts.. But if I even get to it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I have only cast one of my votes thus far, and it has been for FPDC.

The other entries are all well and good, but FPDC is ze best IMO.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.