Join in on our classic gaming club!
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: FMV Frenzy

by Stark Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Stark wrote:If I find the time I think I'll do Pandora Directive. I played Under A Killing Moon, but never the sequels. Wish me luck on finding time!

Under A Killing Moon is great, the sequels not so much. Pandora directive really bit me in the but with its morality system. Picking certain dialog choices and doing certain in game decisions affect your ending and can predetermine what ending you get from the very first dialog option. It is.... frustrating. Plus the game emphasizes a lot more with dangerous real time puzzles, laser mazes and time limits that are insanely frustrating considering that your window is small amidst a large area with lots of multistep puzzles.

If you do it, go in with a guide right away... it leaves you little room for error between getting the best ending and all the bad endings.

Would you suggest Overseer instead?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:15 pm

While I haven't played overseer, I do know that it is a remake essentially of the very very first two Murphy game. It lacks the morality system Pandora directive had and features a new graphics system. My concerns are that the game was originally meant as a sort of episodic experiment that later turned it into a full fledged game, I don't know if that will pop up as a detriment. I just hope it isn't filled with tons of timed puzzles. Those are absolutely the worst in adventure games.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm

There's supposed to be a new Tex Murphy game releasing this year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poisoned_Pawn

Chris Jones is like what, 63 now? He's still doing his thing though. Gotta give him credit there.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Exhuminator wrote:The Yakyuu Ken Special: Konya wa 12-kaisen for the SEGA Saturn. Released in 1995. Officially.

I point out "officially" because wow, SEGA signed off on this. This is a rock paper scissors game.

A strip rock paper scissors game that is. :|

Sometimes it's good that Nintendon't do what Sega does.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Hey Nullpointer, nice job on your Fork in the Tale review. I didn't think you could find a way to link Rob Schneider with Skinny Puppy, but you did it man! Hahahaha!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 pm

J T wrote:Sometimes it's good that Nintendon't do what Sega does.

Apparently Societa and SEGA reached a lucrative trend for a minute there. I say that, because SEGA let Societa publish a few other Saturn smut shows:
But I'm not playing any of those this month. I'm aiming for something considerably more highbrow next. Hoping to have it finished over the weekend for a Sunday review.

-

Well we're about a week into April. Here's what's been going on so far:

Ack - Currently playing Phantasmagoria.
Crazythink4 - Played realMyst.
Elkin - Beat Night Trap.
Exhuminator - Beat Double Dragon (Neo Geo version), beat The Yakyuu Ken Special: Konya wa 12-kaisen.
J T - Played Temujin.
Laurenhiya21 - Played The Book of Watermarks.
Michi - Playing Phantasmagoria.
nullPointer - Playing A Fork in the Tale.
Prfsnl_gmr - Played Double Switch.
Sarge - Beat Wirehead, beat Shinobi Legions.

If I missed anybody's stuff no offense.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:50 am

I'm continuing along with Phantasmagoria. Now I'm at the start of Chapter 4, which begins with a demonic-possessed rape scene. I didn't know I was going to be seeing that. It took me back to the sex scene in Rosemary's Baby, and while this one is hokier, it's still not the most pleasant thing to watch when my girlfriend is sitting next to me on the couch. Yeah, it made me uncomfortable.

Anyway, I've noticed no one ever changes clothes in this town. The story is also building steadily. I found a secret message on the laptop screen in the previous chapter which said YOU HAVE DANGER. I also have discovered the painting in the conservatory is steadily changing, and I can go to the bathroom once a chapter. Ah, interactivity.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm partway through Ch. 6 in Phantasmagoria (and by partway, I mean I just started and it already says I'm, like, halfway done. This game's measurement of progression is weird :lol: ) Anyway, I think I've seen the gruesome deaths of all of Zolton's wives. Dude seriously has issues. They're the kind of deaths that would make Freddy Kruger laugh himself into a second (eighth? ninth?) death and the Hellraiser guys take notes. Pretty twisted. I had to go back and watch one of the cutscenes again on Youtube, because my computer decided it was important to inform me I had a SUPER SERIOUS UPDATE (it wasn't) and booted me out of the game, shrinking the screen to about 1in wide, and I missed the first half of the scene before I managed to get back. Thanks, computer.

I suspect I'll be finishing this up pretty soon.

Ack wrote:I'm continuing along with Phantasmagoria. Now I'm at the start of Chapter 4, which begins with a demonic-possessed rape scene.

Yeeeeeah. Having to watch that was....unfortunate. I was uncomfortable watching it and I didn't even have someone sitting next to me, possibly passing judgment. Made me feel skwicky.

Ack wrote:I've also figured out how to skip the walking and moving animations, which is great. Yes, it's realistic how our heroine moves about, but man it can take forever. Now that I know how to skip, moving between rooms is a lot faster.

I kept wondering why, after telling Adriane to go anywhere, that the curser kept jumping down to right below the play screen. Then I realized that was where the fast-forward button was. I like that even the game knows she moves too damn slow and was telling me I could speed it the hell up :lol:
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Oooh.. the infamous Phantasmagoria rape scene. Yeah, that's uncomfortable. Not that it should be comfortable, but yeah... It was really controversial around the time of the game's release, and sort of still is today.

Michi, did you see Regina's death yet? That is the most gruesome of them all. It's one of the most psychologically twisted death scenes I have seen in any game or movie. There is also a gory death scene right near the end if you mess up. I messed up a lot and got really tired of seeing it over and over.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 pm

J T wrote:Michi, did you see Regina's death yet? That is the most gruesome of them all. It's one of the most psychologically twisted death scenes I have seen in any game or movie. There is also a gory death scene right near the end if you mess up. I messed up a lot and got really tired of seeing it over and over.

Is that the one involving the meat? That one was just....yeah. That one was definitely the most disturbing. I thought the greenhouse one was pretty gruesome, too. I think out of all of them, the least creepy was the one with the bottle, but even that was pretty brutal.
Return to Together Retro