Together Retro: FMV Frenzy

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: FMV Frenzy

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That;s exactly what I was thinking of. I still need to get a copy (yes I know it's on GOG.com).
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I wish Shivers was on GOG. Had that one back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE_JSVsrM2Y

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Woo Hoo! April FMV month!

Like Ack, I'm playing Phantasmagoria. Just finished Chapter 1 (of 7). So far, nothing really scary yet, just your typical point-and-click. But I suspect things will start slowly ramping up soon. It did take me a couple tries to figure out how the game wants me to thoroughly examine things, but I think I've got the gist now.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

My current plans for the month are these:

Shinobi X (Saturn)

Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger (3DO)

Money is a bit tight this month, but I'm also keeping an eye out for potentially affordable copies of both Mr. Bones for Saturn and Suzuki Bakuhatsu for PS1 as other options.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've read people mention Phantasmagoria and Shivers off and on over the years, but never their sequels.

That's why I'm pointing these out:

I think people forget they exist.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I never bothered with the sequels because I hadn't played the first in either series despite being intrigued by them. If I feel up to it after the first, I'm curious about Phantasmagoria 2.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Yeah, I picked up a bundle of Phantasmagoria 1+2. Depending on how I feel, I may give it a go. Or I may play something else. Who knows.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

noiseredux wrote:Probably sitting this month out.

Yep, same too. Nothing I own qualifies the criteria.

But, it will give me time to clear my Now Playing out to prepare for May!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

So, I "played" through a FMV "classic". It's Wirehead on the Sega CD. I actually think if it were a full-length film, it'd be more enjoyable. The acting is surprisingly decent throughout, in a sort of slapstick way. Rather intentionally, I think.

You play as the titular "Wirehead", an otherwise normal dude who has had his synapses rewired, I think maybe because of a brain injury? Anyway, this doc patches you up, but also gives external control to someone else. Weird? Yup. But that's the excuse for when the player steps in, all Dragon Lair style, to guide ol' Ned Hubbard. Turns out there are bad people that want this ability to control people for themselves, so they're after Ned and the doc that patched him up. What happens next is a set of cartoon-like shenanigans as seen through the lens of a grainy live-action TV program.

Full disclosure: To speed this whole ordeal up, I save-stated the mess out of it. There are a lot of sequences to memorize, and a limited number of chances to get through it all. Quite frankly, a game that revolves purely around trial-and-error gameplay just isn't terribly appealing. But I did enjoy seeing the silly story come to fruition, so I can't hold it against the game too much. For a Dragon's Lair-style game, you could do worse. I'll give a 3.0 to the "gameplay" and a 7.0 to the "movie", so it all averages out to 5.0. ;)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Out of curiosity...does Mortal Kombat count? What about Time Cop (SNES) or any of the various Batman Forever ports? Lethal Enforcers? Virtual a Hydlide? NARC? Just trying to open up this category a bit...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor ... ed_sprites

Me? I’m downloading Double Switch right now, and I will be grabbing my copy of Mad Dog McCree out of the collection in a few minutes...
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.