47%
FMV Games
53%

Total votes : 30
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 am

noiseredux wrote:He also said 90's, which excludes Her Story.

I know. I’m just going to do that “play it anyway” thing. It also serve as a good point of reference to see how the interactive movie genre developed over 20 years.

I think games like Myst, Resident Evil, Wing Commander 3, Command & Conquer Red Alert, etc. would all fit. We really should come up with a list. I am sure that there is some wild stuff from Japan (Cho-Aniki?) That might suit some of our members’ tastes better than INXS Make My Video.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 am

noiseredux wrote:He also said 90's, which excludes Her Story.

I... have no idea what I'll play yet. I'm not even sure what I have access to yet.

Modern re-releases of the classic fmv games include Sherlock Holmes consulting detective, Night Trap, the Mad Dog McCree games, Double Switch etc. Have all had re-releases on modern platforms like pc and mobile.

There is also games like from the myst franchise that were featured on a bevy of systems.

PC is where the huge bulk of stuff is available. All of the shooting gallery gsmes like crime patrol, who shot Johnny rock and space pirates have the best video quality on pc, but use mouse shooting which is kinda cheating.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am

I owe it to each month's curator to be equally difficult. So maybe you can help me figure out my options when only considering an Xbox One? :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Can't win them every month.

Dude I haven't won my choice for any month yet. I didn't want Licensed Platformers, Final Fantasy Spin-offs, or Eighties' Ladies' Night either, none of those were my first choice picks. I still found stuff to play. I will do the same for 1990s FMV.

While I can't understand how folks would favor 1990s FMV over 1990s Neo Geo, maybe I'll understand in April. After all these FMV voters beat a bunch of 1990s FMV games, and then review them indepth to elucidate the case for us non-believers.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:34 am

I think I'll play Return to Zork. Had it years ago when we got our first family computer (well, an IBM not a Commodore 64) but it was too scary for my brothers and too obtuse for me so never got further than "want some rye?" man and he's like 4 screens in.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 am

noiseredux wrote:I owe it to each month's curator to be equally difficult. So maybe you can help me figure out my options when only considering an Xbox One? :lol:

Only one game shows up on Xbox one for an fmv game and it isn't in the 90s, lococycle.... sadly.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:43 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I owe it to each month's curator to be equally difficult. So maybe you can help me figure out my options when only considering an Xbox One? :lol:

Only one game shows up on Xbox one for an fmv game and it isn't in the 90s, lococycle.... sadly.

There's definitely more than that - The Bunker and um, that one that Exum played not long ago and I forgot the title of come to mind. EDIT: Late Shift.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:06 am

Looking forward to all the reviews rolling in on these games. Y'all chose FMV, you better not disappoint!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am

I am really excited about reading everyone's experiences as they go through this theme.

I'm strongly considering participating too. Back when we got our first Windows computer in '95 or '96 I played all the demo discs that came with it, and I was fascinated by one called Silent Steel. I remember thinking it was like a choose-your-own adventure book or text adventure, but with REAL PEOPLE OMG TECHNOLOGY. I played through all available dialogue options in the demo -- including one with swears (!!) -- and always wanted to play through the full thing. It really got stuck in my head.

Every few years something reminds me of it and I think, "Maybe this time I'll finally play it." Well, between TR and my discovering just now that the iso images exist on archive.org... maybe the stars are truly aligning!
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am

Hey NeoGeo. You're a wonderful system. Hope there's no hard feeling. Us FMV are just so damn sexy though.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Return to Together Retro